Eric S'ennui

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

From my own experience, Gen X and above have a pretty negative perception or non-existent perception of Pokémon. Ask them about it and they kind of roll their eyes. Opposed to Mario, which is literally going to incite warm fuzzy nostalgia feelings in a lot of that same demographic. It’s not rocket science, just look at the timelines of the franchises to understand. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

From my own experience, Gen X and above have a pretty negative perception or non-existent perception of Pokémon. Ask them about it and they kind of roll their eyes. Opposed to Mario, which is literally going to incite warm fuzzy nostalgia feelings in a lot of that same demographic. It’s not rocket science, just look at the timelines of the franchises to understand. 

Again, you have nothing at all to back this up beyond vibes and feelings.

• Like 2

Just now, Mulder said:

Again, you have nothing at all to back this up beyond vibes and feelings.

No, I have the fact that Mario is THE defining game franchise of the 80s in popularity and Pokémon wasn’t until the late 90s where it was squarely targeting children at the time. Again, it’s not rocket science. Not sure what your deal is here. 

• Like 1

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

Pokemon and Mario are pretty even when it comes to mainline game sales. DETECTIVE PIKACHU was hurt by being a spin-off; it'd be like Illumination making DR. MARIO instead of TSMBM.

Bingo. Spin-off, being live-action, and probably other stuff that would be interesting to look into. It had amazing trailer views and a general positive outlook on the internet that just never ended up materializing into much of anything.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Sword/Shield outsold Odyssey and Mario Party my guy. Mario Kart 8 is the only Mario game to beat Pokemon on the Switch.

Yep, so add the top 3 Mario game sales on switch with the top 3 Pokémon and you’re looking at a more than 35m sales deficit for Pokémon. That is a HUGE difference. Again, what’s your issue here? 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yep, so add the top 3 Mario game sales on switch with the top 3 Pokémon and you’re looking at a more than 35m sales deficit for Pokémon. That is a HUGE difference. Again, what’s your issue here? 

Dude that is an absolutely hilariously bullshit way to tabulate sales. It's very clear that Mario Kart is in a league of its own (As seen by every other Nintendo console where Mario Kart always outsells the regular Mario games by a mile) and to pretend it isn't is ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Pokemon Sword & Shield just sold 25 million copies in the past few years. For the Switch itself its the 5th highest selling game on the platform. The franchise also just had its best week ever with Scarlet & Violet, games that were divisive as all hell. The games sell.

Dude your personal experiences and thoughts do not apply to everyone lol

Lmao.

What does a four quadrant Pokemon movie even look like?

Is it animated or live action?

Is it centered around Ash collecting Pokemons?

Cause I'm trying to tell you the cross over appeal isn't what you think it is.

• Like 1

Another thing about Pokémon to note is OG fans like myself have grown extremely disillusioned with the games in recent years. We’re sick of GameFreak being such a lazy developer and not truly “evolving” the formula after 3 decades (or failing to produce a functional game when they do). 

Opposed to Mario games, which have never lost their luster. Mainline Mario games have been universally beloved no matter which one we want to point to over 40 years. 

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lmao.

What does a four quadrant Pokemon movie even look like?

Is it centered around Ash collecting Pokemons?

What does a four quadrant Mario movie even look like?

Is it centered around Mario stomping on Koopas?

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No, I have the fact that Mario is THE defining game franchise of the 80s in popularity and Pokémon wasn’t until the late 90s where it was squarely targeting children at the time. Again, it’s not rocket science. Not sure what your deal is here. 

Yeah that near two decade head start is everything.

It's a major reason Mario is four quadrant and Pikachu isn't.

Maybe when gen Y are pushing 50 it will be another story but as of now the vast majority of people over 40 think collecting pokemons is silly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

What does a four quadrant Mario movie even look like?

Is it centered around Mario stomping on Koopas?

It's animated and very colorful and uses the iconography of Mario Kart and the most popular Mario Bros games. It's got easter eggs for Gen X and Gen Y.

Your turn.

Mr Mayor Waiting GIF by NBC

Just now, grey ghost said:

It's animated and very colorful and uses the iconography of Mario Kart and the most popular Mario Bros games. It's got easter eggs for Gen X and Gen Y.

Your turn.

Mr Mayor Waiting GIF by NBC

Gee man almost like you have a movie you can look to and just mindlessly spout off what it did. I was just showing how dumb your logic was when like two years ago nobody would've thought a Mario movie could blow up the way this did, especially when the last attempt was an infamous joke about how bad video game movies were.

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Gee man almost like you have a movie you can look to and just mindlessly spout off what it did. I was just showing how dumb your logic was when like two years ago nobody would've thought a Mario movie could blow up the way this did, especially when the last attempt was an infamous joke about how bad video game movies were.

Lmao

I knew Mario was going to blow up and have a club with very few members to prove it.

Meanwhile the doubters said that the ceiling was Detective Pikachu.

You think because you like Pokemon it has cross over appeal. That's your anecdotal gut feeling. Stop pretending you're pushing some scientific study.

Edited by grey ghost

Just now, grey ghost said:

Lmao

I knew Mario was going to blow up and have a club with very few members to prove it.

Meanwhile the doubters that the ceiling was Detective Pikachu.

You think because you like Pokemon it has cross over appeal. That's your anecdotal gut feeling. Stop pretending you're pushing some scientific study.

I actually think Pokemon hasn't been good in ages, also you made that club when there was a trailer with buzz attached you didn't blindly assume it was going to be huge. You also have nothing to go off of here beyond your own gut feeling when you yourself just said you don't like Pokemon, so it's also not some actual well thought out reasoning here on your end.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Also you asked about the perfect Mario movie not me.

Did you not realize there was a perfect version already made?

If you literally did not see how I was being rhetorical and showing you how ridiculous your post was, I don't know what to say lol

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I actually think Pokemon hasn't been good in ages, also you made that club when there was a trailer with buzz attached you didn't blindly assume it was going to be huge. You also have nothing to go off of here beyond your own gut feeling when you yourself just said you don't like Pokemon, so it's also not some actual well thought out reasoning here on your end.

If the trailer buzz was so obvious then why did only three people join my club before tracking?

Hardly anyone thought 500m domestic was even possible.

Let's not play the revisionism game when I have reciepts.