BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOpAirkmdgKHoHK27OxL4

I am-a... inevitable-uh!

Seriously, this feels like the third coming of Endgame, sucking the air out of everything else around it. I'm honestly disappointed we're back in this scenario again, as up until now I feel like exhibition was the healthiest it'd ever been in years, with a large variety of genres and multiple high profile movies co-existing. I'd rather not see one major movie choke everyone else to death.

That being said, I'm still very glad Mario will reach the billion dollar mark. The crew behind it, with the exception of the journeyman writer, deserves it for massively elevating a subpar script.

I don't understand the whole "Indy 5 will do bad because Indy 4 was also bad". Like that came out 15 years ago. That's plenty of time for its stink to wear off. And this is also like arguing that because the prequels were bad that Force Awakens would do bad too.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I asked earlier, but anyone know why BatB only fell 25% on its second Sunday? It wasn’t a holiday and only a couple weeks earlier in the cal 

It might have been going into a wide spring break week for colleges (and some K-12s)...

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

So people hating Batman Returns (which they did... but it didn't effect Batman Forever - it's direct follow-up - whatsoever commercially) can be used against The Flash but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull being hated can't be used against Indy 5?

Again. You can't have it both ways in your argument. Respectfully your own personal anticipation is clouting your judgment here.

Personally I couldn't care less about either film. All about Elemental this summer. But it's obvious that The Flash has the better marketing hook than Indy 5.

Moving on...

I also pointed out that Indiana Jones is far more unique than Batman, how younger people grew on with other Batmen, how the Indy films hold up way better than the Burton Batman films, 1/2 Burton films being bad will just be one factor 

Edited by John Marston

27 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

I don't understand the whole "Indy 5 will do bad because Indy 4 was also bad". Like that came out 15 years ago. That's plenty of time for its stink to wear off. And this is also like arguing that because the prequels were bad that Force Awakens would do bad too.

Well the Force Awakens looked totally different from the prequels. Indy 5 looks like Crystal Skull to a degree.

• Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I also pointed out that Indiana Jones is far more unique than Batman, how younger people grew on with other Batmen, how the Indy films hold up way better than the Burton Batman films, 1/2 Burton films being utter shit will just be one factor 

Batman Returns is actually well regarded.

The Christmas theme, one of the best Catwomen and Christopher Walken being awesome.

The action set pieces were fun too.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

So people hating Batman Returns (which they did... but it didn't effect Batman Forever - it's direct follow-up - whatsoever commercially) can be used against The Flash but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull being hated can't be used against Indy 5?

Again. You can't have it both ways in your argument. Respectfully your own personal anticipation is clouting your judgment here.

Personally I couldn't care less about either film. All about Elemental this summer. But it's obvious that The Flash has the better marketing hook than Indy 5.

Moving on...

The entire BATMAN FOREVER marketing campaign was basically "This isn't Batman Returns, guys."

Surely franchises like this have fundamentally different degrees of linking together.

One of the reasons James Bond is so resilient is by definition any terrible film that may happen is irrelevant by the time of the next one. Hence Quantum of Solace can happen, the vast majority can hate it, and it matters not one jot because the impetus and momentum is totally different with each film. There will be a new inciting incident at the start of the next film unrelated to this one.

Indiana Jones is similar to a large degree. Except not quite as resilient since Indiana Jones has always struggled with agency and objective and being prone to mostly reacting to things in a way that Bond, because he always has a specific assignment, doesn't.

The Ongoing Expanding Universes though are far more interlinked than this. At least one of their inciting incident or resolutions is usually linked to a wider mythology related to the other films. Hence they are far more likely to see one failure impact other films.

Even, say, John Wick is like this. One badly received Wick film to the extent of Quantum of Solace and the whole thing would crack heavily. Fortunately that hasn't happened.

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

AIR is following closely like House of Gucci as a 5-days 20m+ OW opener. The movie is still on-track to do $50m-55m but I am just sad this feel-good drama isn't holding much better, knowing the similar movie that came before Covid were holding a lot more better such as GB's 2nd weekend and the hidden figure. This prove that the inertia from public to see a drama in cinema is still strong. 

I saw Hidden Figures and Air in theaters, both on Saturday afternoons, Hidden Figures had a much younger and more diverse audience. Last weekend Mario was a juggernaut and still seems to be, maybe it's pulling a lot of 20s-30s moviegoers. OTOH, Air is the biopic of a shoe starring Gen Xers, maybe that limits the audience, though pre-Covid that still could have meant $100 million.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

59 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

And this is also like arguing that because the prequels were bad that Force Awakens would do bad too.

Okay, but hear me out here....

The Force Awakens was the Force Awakens entirely because of the prequels.

That film was

a) Designed to be the most down-the-fairway, risk-averse, retread of the first film so far as anyone could get away with precisely BECAUSE of the prequels.

b) Positively received despite being the most down-the-fairway, risk-averse, retread of the first film precisely BECAUSE of the prequels.

Heck, you think if Lucas had pulled a Force Awakens and just remade the original when the Phantom Menace came out he would have gotten away with it? With either critics or audiences? Equally do you think if the Prequels had been considered unassailable masterpieces that expanded the Star Wars lore and were embraced by the whole fandom that 18 years later Abrams would have just gotten away with remaking the first film again? And that that would have been something audiences with 6 Great Star Wars films behind them would have just accepted?

People wanted and craved a palate cleanser that made them go "Yes, that is Star Wars and feels like the Star Wars I like". Of course it felt like the Star Wars they like, because it WAS the Star Wars they like; only with a pair of spectacles and a false moustache.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Christmas theme, one of the best Catwomen and Christopher Walken being awesome.

I don’t know. It kind of has a cult following but I think most people see it as that weird and gross movie 

• ...wtf 3

34 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yes... Burton's Batman movies have held up well... Batman Returns especially stands out as extremely refreshing and fascinating compared to how superhero movies are made now. Many, myself included, regard it very highly. There's no other superhero movie quite like it. DeVito, Pfeiffer, Walken are all incredible in it. Sets, costuming is incredible. Wild plot is super fun. Demise of each villain is unforgettable. Keaton ain't too bad himself. Just a blast to watch. Pure funhouse spectacle with high level artistry woven throughout. Elfman's score is standout too. Themes are great too.

• Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

@MovieMan89 not sure off the top but, BATBs women demographic may have helped the Sunday holds a tad. And coupled with it being in the March Spring break corridor, it could have been a 1-2 punch or just a random unexplainable blip. The weekend thread from back then may shed some light. 

• Like 2