BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Not surprised Mario is killing it.

Its a product that been famous since the 1980s and appeals to Gen X, Millennials and Zoomers and kids.

Film was fully of silly humour for kids and some jokes for adults (that depressing blue star lol) 

But.. but.. DETECTIVE PIKACHU!

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Im on the 700M train for Mario now. This thing has become a phenomenon and i dont see it stopping anytime soon.

To do that it would have to keep within ~50m of Top Gun Maverick for the rest of its run, which despite it's great legs so far, seems like a ridiculous proposition. The best case I see right now would be 3x its 5 day opening which would be 612m

- (3) AIR Amazon Studios $7,720,599 -47% 3,507 n/c $2,201 $33,283,549 2
- (4) Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Paramount Pi… $7,350,000 -47% 3,324 -532 $2,211 $74,070,000 3
- N Mafia Mamma Bleecker Street $2,044,875   2,002   $1,021 $2,044,875 1
- (5) Scream VI Paramount Pi… $1,455,000 -58% 1,288 -998 $1,130 $106,793,000 6
  • Like 2

The drops for Air and Dungeons & Dragons are acceptable considering last weekend was a holiday frame. Former still looks very good for $50M+ - probably not enough to keep it in the conversation for a Best Picture nomination until the end of the year, but definitely one of the bigger adult-targeted titles over the past three years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Brainbug said:

This weekend kinda proofs imo that a sizable portion of once-moviegoers is maybe forever lost. Pre-Covid, the holdovers woudnt have tanked to badly, but since there is now considerably less people going to the theaters, its more than ever go high or die.

This could mean serious trouble for many summer movies.

Although the supply of movies is good for exhibition, the reality is that we’re not in a market where Super Mario Bros has raised the water level for all boats, rather the Nintendo movie reps 62% of the weekend’s entire est. $140M box office. 

Even Deadline seems to be pointing it out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Although the supply of movies is good for exhibition, the reality is that we’re not in a market where Super Mario Bros has raised the water level for all boats, rather the Nintendo movie reps 62% of the weekend’s entire est. $140M box office. 

Even Deadline seems to be pointing it out.

Potentially... That said, Air and DnD had sub 50% drops following a holiday weekend. While neither Renfield or Pope's Exorcist broke out there just might not be much off an audience for either to begin with... And, this year's box office so far is ahead of last year's I think, no? Maybe they're coming back slowly but surely. It was always going to take time...

That said, summer is pretty overcrowded so it could be hinderance for a lot of the June and July releases. I think the may releases like Vol. 3 and Fast X have a little breathing room at least... Once Mermaid comes though, it's a potential blockbuster or two releasing every weekend through the last weekend of July. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

But.. but.. DETECTIVE PIKACHU!

I mean, I'd kill for an actual deep dive into Mario but not Detective Pikachu (lets not forget how much money those 1999/2000 anime films made at the DBO). How reasonable were ultimately disproven hypotheses and what does Mario and Sonic tell us about all three films/franchises?  

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

wowzers.  This is what critic proof looks like.

This schtick of your is kinda silly. It's a 58% on RT not an 8%. Reviews aren't even that bad. We've seen movies with lesser critical reception do well or very well somewhat recently. Look no further than Dead Man's Chest and Revenge of the Fallen. First Suicide Squad made a ton too...

Then, you have stuff like Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle and Rise or Gru didn't get overwhelming acclaim and did very well too. Heck, Secret Life of Pets essentially same reception as Mario and it did 105M OW DOM and 370M DOM TOTAL. 

These posts would make a lot more sense to me if Mario was actually panned which again, 58% at RT, isn't a movie that's been panned by critics.

• Like 8

you'd hope that atleast one of the summer movies would move to a later release date basing on how this weekend went...if atleast one of the big summer releases clicks, the holdovers are gonna struggle in this post-covid world.