Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

22 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m happy he said that, but also, he can’t even if he wanted to, lol. (Assuming he doesn’t wanna direct some weird non-WGA script he didn’t write). 

How does it work when you're a WGA writer who directs his own movies.  Can he no longer do research for a new project and start outlining and writing for himself and not a studio?  I gather he means he won't be doing any of that.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

How does it work when you're a WGA writer who directs his own movies.  Can he no longer do research for a new project and start outlining and writing for himself and not a studio?  I gather he means he won't be doing any of that.

I imagine he won't be pitching his next film but there's nothing stopping him researching ideas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

He can write to his heart’s content. He cannot reach out to any AMPTP signatory, and neither can his agents or managers — no business can be conducted at all (and even a vague general meeting is business). However, as soon as the strike’s over he can send it to whoever he likes. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
24 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

He can write to his heart’s content. He cannot reach out to any AMPTP signatory, and neither can his agents or managers — no business can be conducted at all (and even a vague general meeting is business). However, as soon as the strike’s over he can send it to whoever he likes. 

There's going to be such a gold rush as soon as the WGA strike ends lol

good luck to all writers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

This is why I imagine Disney will probably send Kenneth Branagh out on tour for A Haunting in Venice because while he can't promote the film as an actor, he can as the director. 

It all depends on if he wants to, which is going to be true of all the directors of the movies in the last four months if this stretches that long. For example, Paramount can send Marty out to promote Killers of the Flower Moon since he's a famous figure even if they won't have that big Variety or Hollywood Reporter cover with him and Leo and De Niro (which they obviously want). There's already whispers that Priscilla and The Killer are headed to Venice because Coppola and Fincher are big names who can talk about the movies they directed (and at the same time use a moment to address the strikes).

There's already an article from Deadline speculating about how the rest of 2023 might be impacted.

11 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Stop with this idea that actors will switch to YouTube from Hollywood, it's not going to happen!!

I was responding to Ruffalo’s comments. If he’s contemplating the concept of moving away from the major studios to make projects independently of them, it’s not much of a leap for the rest of us to as well.

Your issue seems to be with the concept of using YouTube… but in 2023, if someone wants to make a radical shift away from conventional distribution avenues, YouTube is the most obvious way to do that.

4 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

I was responding to Ruffalo’s comments. If he’s contemplating the concept of moving away from the major studios to make projects independently of them, it’s not much of a leap for the rest of us to as well.

Your issue seems to be with the concept of using YouTube… but in 2023, if someone wants to make a radical shift away from conventional distribution avenues, YouTube is the most obvious way to do that.

I'm not against YouTube but you'd be hard pressed to make any sort of money back even if everyone is working for scale. You'll never be able to make a $100-150m movie and release it on YouTube.

YouTube is great for certain content but the idea it'll be the alternative to Hollywood and everyone will abandon ship is frankly stupid. There are so many avenue to make films which don't involve Hollywood, YouTube wouldn't be the number 1 choice.

This is actually a good Variety article. Don’t think this was shared around here before:

https://variety.com/vip/studios-need-streaming-viewership-metric-to-end-strikes-1235672305/

With the performers of SAG-AFTRA now joining Hollywood writers on the picket lines, it's clear that the ultimate resolution of this crisis will be decisive for the future of the entertainment industry and its workers. Whatever contracts are hammered out once bargaining between the guilds and the studios resumes will likely set the standard for Hollywood's new compensation models going forward.

As VIP+ has argued, the paramount economic issue at stake here is streaming residual payments, which will form the backbone of entertainment industry workers' compensation in the years to come. At the heart of this dispute is streamers' reluctance (to put it mildly) to share data quantifying viewership of content on their SVOD platforms; the studios have evidently refused to engage on the issue of success-based residuals for such content.

"There is not a good, consistent streaming metric of success for [SVOD] shows, and that is a huge problem," Variety Senior TV Reporter Joe Otterson said during last week's VIP+ webinar on the strikes. "If you say, 'On Thursday night at 9:00, 10 million people tuned in to watch this show on CBS,' people can wrap their minds around what that means in terms of the success of that show….But when you tell someone, 'This show has been watched for 95 million hours since it was released two weeks ago'? I cannot wrap my mind [around] or contextualize exactly what that means."

SAG-AFTRA reportedly attempted a compromise on this front, suggesting data from Parrot Analytics be used to calculate streaming content's popularity and contribution to services' revenues, a proposal the studios rejected.

However, this gets no closer to a true solution to the problem, as Parrot's "demand" metric is a poor proxy for streaming viewership data to tie to residuals. There are too many factors at play in these scores — social media engagement, search engine activity, piracy — that reflect audience interest in a title but are not concretely tied to actual viewership on a streaming platform.

In other words, we're likely moving toward an era of greater data transparency whether the studios like it or not, and the guild negotiators would do well to keep that in mind when contract talks eventually restart.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dobrevv said:

according to new article from variety disney and netflix are studios that want to reveal their date the least 

Insiders with direct knowledge of the talks say that The Walt Disney Co. and Netflix are the most resistant to sharing additional viewership data for their streaming content. They fear that performers will use that information to justify bigger checks and to get a bigger piece of the revenues. An insider at Netflix, however, pushed back at suggestions that it was not forthcoming about the popularity of its programming, noting that it publishes a weekly top 10 list of most-watched shows and films

https://variety.com/2023/film/features/hollywood-chaos-strikes-movie-delays-pay-battles-a-i-anxiety-1235673080/

• Like 2