Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

6 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

As long as she doesn't use writers and continues paying her staff/writers, whatever.

She will have to ad lib the whole thing. GOod luck with that.

ALos her so is depdendent on Show Business guests, and she will get zero of those. "

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Drew Barrymore seems like the kind of person who doesn’t necessarily mean any harm, but is nonetheless rather ignorant about the issues that people face in the real world. She was born rich, so I guess that isn’t surprising. 

Not to mention, the whole saga of the Barrymores... a fmilty with self desctructive instincts if ever there was one

9 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Considering everyone’s dog piling on Drew Barrymore, The negotiation position in this phrase of the strike, by the WGA, must not be that strong. 

WGA is losing this fight, i suspect the negotiating committee will be dropping some demands to get the studios back to the table. Its not the studios fault that writers are broke cause they only work 10 weeks out of the year.

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

She will have to ad lib the whole thing. GOod luck with that.

ALos her so is depdendent on Show Business guests, and she will get zero of those. "

Taylor Swift has been given a SAG-AFTRA agreement to promote her concert movie so I would expect her to be booked for at least one entire episode dedicated to her in early October.

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

WGA is losing this fight, i suspect the negotiating committee will be dropping some demands to get the studios back to the table. Its not the studios fault that writers are broke cause they only work 10 weeks out of the year.

I find that hard to believe with this news

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Also don't get me wrong, I think she's probably in the wrong here. But it's whatever. Just picket her show, I'm sure she'll talk about the strikes and be supportive and say all the right things.

But everyone knows Drew has always been a bit of an odd duck. She's going to march by the beat of her own drum. (also I think it's dumb that actors are getting waivers to go overseas and promote their movies at festivals etc and not getting nearly as much flack)

Yeah, it feels like the festival promotion helps studios by making it seem like, to the public, like it's business as usual. It's weird optics.

• Like 1

A24 and Neon are not members of AMPTP, which is why movies like Priscilla and Ferrari were given the approval for their stars to do some promotion for them while the films from AMPTP-affiliated studios (Maestro, Poor Things, Dumb Money, The Holdovers, Next Goal Wins, etc.) were not. It's created a headache obviously, but it's an understandable situation since everyone is trying to keep the industry running through whatever legal loophole they can find while at the same time maintaining the production backlog for those that have been flashing their greed in everyone's faces.

1 hour ago, Reddroast said:

If you read the article, it's mentioned a similar law was passed by the Assembly in 2019, but it was denied by the Senate.

So, we need to wait to know whether this law would really be approved, before we consider it a victory for WGA and SAG-AFTRA

Edited by Kon

29 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

27 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

expect more of this to come out soon, solidarity is falling apart

Only problem is, The Wrap is full of shit. That headline isn’t accurate. 

edit: solidarity isn’t falling apart at all — on the contrary, the sustained energy between SAG, WGA, and the supporting unions seems as strong as ever, which is remarkable given the length of the strike. The picket lines are massive with lots of energy, and you have big names (Berlanti, Murphy, Spielberg, etc) continuing to donate to support funds.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Won't pass the senate. WGA and SAG CHOSING not to work, that means no money or insurance for them. Taxpayers shouldn't pay for that crap and I'm against the AMPTP.

When you work, you pay into unemployment. It’s janky as hell to deny folks that when corporations already have so much power. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

It'd not be unreasonable to think that whether the WGA and SAG wins or loses is dependant on whether this bill passes the senate. If it doesn't, both unions will be in a reaaally screwed and weak position going forward. I'm already skeptical of them winning as is.