The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I honestly feel nervous if a deal is really being reached now. I don’t think the studios are anywhere near the point of hurting enough yet to agree to fair terms, so that makes me worried WGA is just too wiped out if it ends now. 

In my own opinion, this was never going to get to a point where the studios started losing money. The main reason being they have so much money and so many revenue streams that was just never going to happen. But I honestly think they HAVE reached a point where they see the Unions are not going to back down and their reputations are nearing a point of no return. If you don't make a deal soon, you risk losing your consumer base.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

In my own opinion, this was never going to get to a point where the studios started losing money. The main reason being they have so much money and so many revenue streams that was just never going to happen. But I honestly think they HAVE reached a point where they see the Unions are not going to back down and their reputations are nearing a point of no return. If you don't make a deal soon, you risk losing your consumer base.

I really think you overestimate how invested the vast majority of individuals are with this, their reputations are meaningless to me, like oh no some ceo of a billion dollar industry is not a dainy, and next water is wet.

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SAG isn't exactly supporting what the WGA is doing though. 

Yeah. SAG and WGA would never admit there are issues between them, since it would weaken their stance.

However, it's pretty clear the gulids have some conflicts in their decisons. The interim agreements being a good example.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

I really think you overestimate how invested the vast majority of individuals are with this, their reputations are meaningless to me, like oh no some ceo of a billion dollar industry is not a dainy, and next water is wet.

Their inability to continue making movies and shows hurts their revenue stream

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if SAG has realised that WGA is indirectly hurting their members by picketing these shows and delaying them plus because the non scripted side of the business isn't on strike, they are more liable for damages from studios if talent drops out or delays production. 

Maybe because there are multiple SAG-AFTRA members affected by DwtS all at once (contestants, dancers, judges, hosts, musicians), it was enough for them to speak up with such public support of their members. On a talk show it might only be the host in SAG and they're also an executive producer, so they're possibly on both sides of the conflict. They confirmed Drew was fine under SAG to resume her show but did not have the talk show hosts' backs to this degree.

That the most public disagreement we've seen so far between WGA and SAG is over Dancing with the Stars is WILD...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe because there are multiple SAG-AFTRA members affected by DwtS all at once (contestants, dancers, judges, hosts, musicians), it was enough for them to speak up with such public support of their members. On a talk show it might only be the host in SAG and they're also an executive producer, so they're possibly on both sides of the conflict. They confirmed Drew was fine under SAG to resume her show but did not have the talk show hosts' backs to this degree.

That the most public disagreement we've seen so far between WGA and SAG is over Dancing with the Stars is WILD...

It reminds me of what happened at the Tony Awards, WGA members who are also playwrights had to plead with their own guild to not have the awards be picketed and I suspect it would have been a bad move given it's not WGA's purview anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

There's definetly tension between SAG-AFTRA and the WGA which goes against the solidarity aspects. 

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

What? I don’t think this is true at all. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

SAG-AFTRA’s Duncan Crabtree-Ireland Says WGA Strike Resolution Would Give Actors a ‘Reason for Optimism’

“It would certainly be a good sign if the WGA and the studios and streamers are able to reach a deal,” the union’s chief negotiator says

As negotiating committees for the WGA and the AMPTP meet Wednesday for the first time in nearly a month, Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, SAG-AFTRA’s national executive director and chief negotiator, said a resolution to the writers’ strike would be a “reason for optimism” for striking actors.

“It would certainly be a good sign if the WGA and the studios and streamers are able to reach a deal,” Crabtree-Ireland said in a SAG-AFTRA Instagram Live on Wednesday afternoon. “It will mean that the studios and streamers have made moves in the same direction that we are looking for them to make moves.”

While a new deal between the writers’ guild and the studios might offer some hope to SAG-AFTRA members, Crabtree-Ireland reminded listeners of the issues distinct to actors that have yet to be negotiated since SAG-AFTRA joined striking writers on the picket line in mid-July.

“Of course, our contract proposals are a little different — being an actor is different than being a writer,” Crabtree-Ireland continued. “So I can’t say for certain what that means other than it will be a reason for optimism if the WGA is able to reach a deal with the studios and streamers.”

(more at the link)

===

The idea that somehow SAG-AFTRA would be upset at a WGA/AMPTP deal is baffling to me.  I could see it if the writers got rolled and then pressure was put on SAG, but that seems extreme cart-before-the-horse thinking here.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

This is a joke account right?

Yes, although amusingly enough, a Fox Business News reporter tagged them as the official account. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think it’s inevitable there will be certain and occasional complications between the two organizations, given the different specifics of their hopes (and contracts), but what’s key (I think) is this doesn’t seem to be translating to general anger from one guild toward the other. All the writers and actors I see on social media are enthusiastic and eager towards each other; when I walk the picket lines, it’s SAG members and WGA members and IATSE and non-union folk with tremendous good spirits, pride, and enthusiasm as they walk together. 

I think the studios would love to drive a few wedges between the two, and they’ve tried, but it hasn’t really manifested in any real way. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

He might be right, but I guarantee you he’s guessing. 

A broken clock twice a day, etc etc

I still do not know why you think the idea that a dude that has gone to Cinemacon every year, sees movies even before the press watches them, and is extremely likely either a theater owner or someone somewhere in management (made pretty obvious by how he doesn't sympathize with working class at all) might have some contacts within the studio system. There is quite literally nothing insane about someone like him being able to have pals over there. 

He's an unlikeable person. Studio people are unlikeable too. The idea he might be friends with some studio people does not sound far fetched at all and would actually explain a  lot of his behavior. 

Edited by 21C

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

I still do not know why you think the idea that a dude that has gone to Cinemacon every year, sees movies even before the press watches them, and is extremely likely either a theater owner or someone somewhere in management (made pretty obvious by how he doesn't sympathize with working class at all) might have some contacts within the studio system. There is quite literally nothing insane about someone like him being able to have pals over there. 

He's an unlikeable person. Studio people are unlikeable too. The idea he might be friends with some studio people does not sound far fetched at all and would actually explain a  lot of his behavior. 

Hey very well may or may not have contacts and is almost certainly a theater owner, yes, but his inside takes on movies have been extremely misleading or flat out wrong is the thing. If they weren't we'd be handing Best Picture to Ghostbusters: Afterlife or Dial of Destiny  Just stating for the record why I am skeptical, it's not just a personality thing. Also I know he has like 20 alts reading these posts to post about on Twitter so hi EC!!!

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hey very well may or may not have contacts and is almost certainly a theater owner, yes, but his inside takes on movies have been extremely misleading or flat out wrong is the thing. If they weren't we'd be handing Best Picture to Ghostbusters: Afterlife or Dial of Destiny  Just stating for the record why I am skeptical, it's not just a personality thing. Also I know he has like 20 alts reading these posts to post about on Twitter so hi EC!!!

Him hearing certain things about how movies might be received or having certain opinions about them does not deny anything. Studio execs most certainly believed Dial of Destiny was gonna be a huge hit, hence why they made it and promoted it like they did. 

And yeah I wouldn't take this "WGA strike is over" thing to the bank right now either because even if it's  from a studio person, studio people have fallen over their dicks even in the trades, but it's at least something. 

Edited by 21C

Anyway, as much as I dislike EC's posting style I somehow trust him more than most of the other people tweeting about an impending deal. Studios have found some very easy marks and willing partners in legitimate journalists throughout this (and don't get me started on the trades).