Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh so this week didn't even accomplish anything 

Neither side seems particularly interested in getting a deal done anytime soon. Otherwise they wouldn’t have waited so long to go back to the table and wouldn’t be taking so many breaks. Even the chief negotiator for the actors wouldn’t be leaving LA so often during the strikes/negotiations.

We’ve seen how fast they can hammer out a deal when they want to.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh so this week didn't even accomplish anything 

Sure it did.  They were able to have face to face talks without it blowing all up or the AMPTP running to the press to try to leak shit in an attempt to embarrass SAG negotiate through the press.  Considering the bad blood after the July blowup, I'd say that's absolutely an accomplishment!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Sure it did.  They were able to have face to face talks without it blowing all up or the AMPTP running to the press to try to leak shit in an attempt to embarrass SAG negotiate through the press.  Considering the bad blood after the July blowup, I'd say that's absolutely an accomplishment!

Exactly  this is the classic case of no news is good news.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Considering how much the writers won in these negotiations, and how euphoric the immediate reaction was to the deal, this is not a surprise in the slightest.

Was it a perfect deal with absolutely no holes whatsoever?  Of course not. You (almost) never get that during a strike.

Was it one of the best deals that the WGA has ever secured from a strike?  From what I've seen: Very very likely.

By extention:

Will it need to be tweaked or even have a major overhaul in the next set of negotiations? 

Of course it will.  The entertainment biz in the best of times is a hideously complicated beast that is always changing.  But I think the WGA is very pleased with what they got while mindful of all of the very real pain and sacrifices it took to get this result.  As they should be.

(now let's wrap this up with SAG while also setting the paramaters to give a similarly fair deal to IATSE next year)

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So just more every other day stuff...lot less optimistic about this ending next week then.

Yeah, neither side really cares about ending this soon. They can’t even be bothered to meet two days in a row. Sad for all the people who have out of work for so long.

31 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

That whole article should be taken with such a huge grain of salt. Next year is going to be such a cluster-f for the release schedule. The fact that we have to go through this again after the shit show 2020-21 was for delays and rescheduling. 

Corporate greed at its finest.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Oh, man, that article is not pulling any punches.  Unusually so for a Trade.

Do I smell another union forming?  I think I do. 

*reads further into the article*

Hmmm.  Some obstacles there, but yes I do see a unionization push.

I dare say this is a ***MUST READ ARTICLE*** , with three "*" intentionally put in for emphasis.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1