Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And once again, I disagree. I feel more comfortable reading an AI article that is credited to AI than reading an article with a human byline that was written with the help of AI, because at least the former discloses the fact that AI was used. I mean, I don't like the former either, to be clear.

But why can't humans use AI to their advantage for aspects where it does make their life easier, but not necessarily writing the work flat out? As a matter of fact, preferably, AI shouldn't be used at all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Hi. Non-union writer here. If I were to use AI it would be to come up with names, proofreading. I could also use AI to look up information (basically use it as a research bot or as a google) such as when things happened or slang of the era or how a real life person died. These are all rather small things that I could do that could help me.

I wouldn't use AI to actually write the script or any part of the script. That's the key difference: I would actually use it as a tool. Studios would want to use AI in a very different way: they would try to replace me as much as possible with AI. 

The ONLY part of the script I could see the AI directly helping write is background dialog. Even then, I wouldn't do it myself. But if another writer was like yeah I'll have the AI write this news blurb that you maybe hear in the background before editing it myself, I wouldn't care. But I wouldn't want the studio to be the one to make that decision.

Regarding your first paragraph, that's fine and not what I mean by using AI.

As for that second paragraph, that's what I'm more worried about: Writers using it for that reason and not having to disclose that fact. 

Just because you're an ethical writer doesn't mean every writer is going to use AI in an ethical way.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

• Community Manager
Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Regarding your first paragraph, that's fine and not what I mean by using AI.

As for that second paragraph, that's what I'm more worried about: Writers using it for that reason and not having to disclose that fact. 

Just because you're an ethical writer doesn't mean every writer is going to use AI in an ethical way.

I think the WGA would probably impose sanctions of any writer who tried to pass off the AI as their own work. 

• Like 3

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I think the WGA would probably impose sanctions of any writer who tried to pass off the AI as their own work. 

How would they even prove that though. It's the kind of thing that's extremely easy to cheat on as long as you put in even the slightest bit of effort.

Edited by 21C

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

As a matter of fact, preferably, AI shouldn't be used at all.

This is where I'm at with all of this. I don't want AI to be used at all, but I also want to know if a writer used AI to help write a script, and I know that'll never be part of a "no AI" clause.

1 minute ago, 21C said:

How would they even prove that though. It's the kind of thing that's extremely easy to cheat on as long as you put in even the slightest bit of effort.

They probably couldn't prove that, but it will discourage a lot of people who won't want to accidentally slip up and get in trouble by the WGA.

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Great. I would love this to be in the contract, even if it's just symbolic. I want peace of mind that what I'm watching was not touched (written in any way) by AI without my knowledge. 

14 minutes ago, 21C said:

Well this is also a question for teachers/students. Is there a way to "prove" AI was used in doing something or assisting in something?

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

Well this is also a question for teachers/students. Is there a way to "prove" AI was used in doing something or assisting in something?

There are classifiers out there that attempt to detect if a text was written by an AI, but AFAIK they are not very reliable. And any sophisticated user will edit the text anyway.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Not yet. Some professors want to go back to hand written essays but what's to stop someone from having the ai write the essay then just write what the ai output. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

See, this is now getting into dicey AI talk. I want to know if a writer or artist uses AI. I want it fully disclosed, no matter if it's used for a Studio film or by a YouTuber I enjoy. I want AI transparency by all parties, not just by studios.

This transparency for you means little to writers who will be eating cat food if you get your wish.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

At my university, instructors have the option to use Turnitin to detect plagiarism and AI assisted writing. How good it is depends. I've heard it can do a decent job, but how well it can keep pace with the advances in AI... we'll see. I know some other schools have various detectors. Some instructors choose to use them; others don't bother. Someone told me about a scandal at another school where ilke 90% of a class was found to have cheated with AI, but I don't know the details of how they disocovered this. 

Edited by Hildagarde25