Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, lab276 said:

I’m just not sure how you can get the general public on board with fair compensation of not just creatives but everyone below the line. How do you get people who are in the habit of paying $15 or whatever a month for all content, or worse, downloading things illegally for free, to pay the fair cost what it takes to actually produce the art? 

That's why you had ads. Hate them but they can pay the bills.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I think going after their own streaming services was smart. Locking them behind a sub fee instead of going ad supported was IMO the problem. (Yeah peacock has it's free component but it locked originals and a lot of content behind a paywall).

I think for Disney, subscription made sense because those classic titles and other IPs are very valuable. I'm not sure if you could do an AVOD Disney+ unless you put lesser and older content on that and the premium content behind a paywall. 

AVOD is something I've been tracking and to me, I think that's the future of broadcast and not SVODs. The quality of the content and originals aren't great but for a free service, people will be more than happy.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

You gotta love that these executives have acknowledged that the strike is hurting their bottomline, but they refuse to do the simple solution in terms of ending it, and would rather let their talent lose their homes instead. 

Yeah but then the execs won’t be able to afford a third yacht. 

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think for Disney, subscription made sense because those classic titles and other IPs are very valuable. I'm not sure if you could do an AVOD Disney+ unless you put lesser and older content on that and the premium content behind a paywall. 

AVOD is something I've been tracking and to me, I think that's the future of broadcast and not SVODs. The quality of the content and originals aren't great but for a free service, people will be more than happy.

I think we'll end up with a few SVODs (like 2 or 3 maybe 4) and a bunch more AVODs. and the quality of originals for AVOD will likely increase to what was the ABC/CBS/CW/FOX/NBC level for better or worse.

• Like 1

I'm gonna get hell for this, but actors in HW are freakin overpaid. To see them strike is crazy and people on twitter crying for these actors is even more insane. Yes, i'm talking about medium and big actors, not some cameos or small actors who appear on an episode on a show.

And these overpaid actors want more, i'm pretty sure these big and medium actors are fighting for their interest, they don't care about a small time actor who got their SAG card because he appeared sometime ago on a show. That's not what they're fighting for

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I think we'll end up with a few SVODs (like 2 or 3 maybe 4) and a bunch more AVODs. and the quality of originals for AVOD will likely increase to what was the ABC/CBS/CW/FOX/NBC level for better or worse.

AVOD is a platform where I think advertisers can start demanding streaming numbers and companies will have to show them because they're not paywalled which is why while not a gamechanger does flip the narrative.

Originals on AVOD are more atune to broadcast, you only have to look at Judy Justice on Freevee and also Neighbours, the Australian soap which was brought back by Freevee. You'll probably see gameshows and cheaper content but not huge scale dramas like Rings of Power which is fine, not everyone wants to watch that sort of show. 

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm gonna get hell for this, but actors in HW are freakin overpaid. To see them strike is crazy and people on twitter crying for these actors is even more insane. Yes, i'm talking about medium and big actors, not some cameos or small actors who appear on an episode on a show.

And these overpaid actors want more, i'm pretty sure these big and medium actors are fighting for their interest, they don't care about a small time actor who got their SAG card because he appeared sometime ago on a show. That's not what they're fighting for

I don't disagree that the Chris Pratts and Tom Cruises (i don't care if he chooses to risk his life for a film) of the world need to be paid less. They really do, but there's no way in hell executives need to be making as much as they do, either.

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

AVOD is a platform where I think advertisers can start demanding streaming numbers and companies will have to show them because they're not paywalled which is why while not a gamechanger does flip the narrative.

Originals on AVOD are more atune to broadcast, you only have to look at Judy Justice on Freevee and also Neighbours, the Australian soap which was brought back by Freevee. You'll probably see gameshows and cheaper content but not huge scale dramas like Rings of Power which is fine, not everyone wants to watch that sort of show. 

I mean I want to see Rings of Power but I also want to see shows like Parenthood or Chuck or Smallville or The Mentalist or even comedies like Parks and Recreation and yeah even multi-cam comedies.

Jury Duty was pretty good on freevee. And yet it's leaving Amazon?

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't disagree that the Chris Pratts and Tom Cruises (i don't care if he chooses to risk his life for a film) of the world need to be paid less. They really do, but there's no way in hell executives need to be making as much as they do, either.

How many executives are there in HW that get paid millions? Like 10-15 probably, the rest are not making A/B list actors money

Edited by Maggie

Just now, Maggie said:

How many executives are in HW that get paid millions? Like 10-15 probably, the rest are not making A list actors money

CEOs always get paid well, I would point out a lot of is a mix of salary, compensation and stock options which skews the figures a bit. Tim Cook at Apple has a base salary of $3m but his compensation in 2002 was $99m, the majority of that was stock options. 

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I mean I want to see Rings of Power but I also want to see shows like Parenthood or Chuck or Smallville or The Mentalist or even comedies like Parks and Recreation and yeah even multi-cam comedies.

I always find it amusing that people are so snobby towards procedural drama but yet that sort of programmes is a big seller globally and watched in huge numbers. 

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The vast majority of actors do not get paid nearly as much as the big names. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I love Disney Plus largely because of the classic content, but you  have lots of people bitching it is not worth it because they don;t get enough new Marvel or Star Wars stuff. Some of the probably never venture beyond the most recent Marvel and SW  sections. Hell, I watch quite a bit in the NatGeo section.

But let's take the debate about streaming services and if they are worth it to another thread...because.

A> It is not really directly revelent to the discussion on the strike and 

B. It's an argument without a solution. Everybody is going to have their own idea of whather a streamng service is worth it to them.

Edited by dudalb

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The issue for actors is that the AI stuff could eventually be a threat to their jobs as well too, especially with how ridiculously that proposed deal was worded. Not to mention the actors joining is what can truly help the writers here. I see all of that as way more of the reasoning than (insert mega star) wants even more money than 20 mil per film. 

And the actors who aren’t A listers pay as well, as mentioned. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The vast majority of actors do not get paid nearly as much as the big names. 

The vast majority of actors do not get piad, period,

Acting is a very hard job to make a living at. Way too many actors and way too few jobs. People who can make a decent lving acting full time are in the small minority.

I see this never changing.

Edited by dudalb

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Do you understand what unions are?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Define overpaid.

If your name brings in more in ticket sales, then what they pay you, you are not overpaid.

Frankly, if you want a safe, secure living don't choose acting as a profession. Your chances of even making a decent living at it are very small. Just not enough work around.

Also, even if there are some really greedy A list actors that only care about all their millions, I don’t think we should put it past those people to not like the idea of AI potentially taking over writing in the industry. Anyone with a brain should be able to deduce why the creatives are important to a hit film/show, and therefore impact said actor’s star status as well. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1