Eric is Anxious

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

5 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

What's the connection? 🙂

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

well-were-waiting-sarcastic.gif

"Our film was unique in that audiences went to watch it multiple times. It's the only way we reached the billion dollar mark with our opening," 

"My guess is TLM doesn't cross the billion mark but will undoubtedly get a sequel."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

"Our film was unique in that audiences went to watch it multiple times. It's the only way we reached the billion dollar mark with our opening," 

"My guess is TLM doesn't cross the billion mark but will undoubtedly get a sequel."

Aww, that’s not as shady as I thought. The live action films don’t tend to get many sequels.

He can go back to his day job now, whatever that may be, until Aladdin 2 starts filming. 

I have little interest in seeing TLM in theaters but I will say Halle did a great job at singing from the clips I've seen on YouTube, she really captured the magic of the original tunes.

Great holds for Mario and Guardians.  Yikes but expected drop for Fast X. 

2 hours ago, cedec0 said:

I'll respond to this by saying the Holdo maneuver is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in a major movie franchise.  To drive home just how stupid that scene is, imagine a movie set on earth where the heroine runs the villain over with a car.  The film then makes clear that no one on earth knew that "driving really fast into something causes damage" and that the heroine is a genius for figuring this out.

God, I'm still peeved about it.

Except your description ignores that it was a suicide move, indicating why nobody does it and Holdo was being portrayed as brave/self-sacrificing rather than smart.

As for obviously dumber things in major movie franchises, the Jurassic franchise has you covered with at least 5 stupider moments than anything that happens even in the worst Star Wars films just on its own.

- Both dinosaur escape sequences in the first and second Jurassic World films. (JW1 and 2)

- The dinosaur gun plot from the second Jurassic World film (point at gun at someone you want to kill so that you....can send a dinosaur at them). (JW2)

- "Alan". (JP3)

- The T-Rex who can kill the ship's crew and then shut itself in the ship's cargo hold.  (LW)

- Raising the dinosaurs and having the original dinosaur park on an active volcano. (JW2)

- Magical cliff that wasn't there seconds ago (JP)

- Clone that isn't a clone that is a clone that isn't a clone (JW3)

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

People are crucifying him for speaking the truth. What that happened with Aladdin's BO was a miracle and if was always going to be difficult for future movies to replicate it. If TLM just opens a bit better than Aladdin then it's not doing well considering Aladdin  benefited from having weak competition for a while. Also considering TLM's budget is quite a bit higher than Aladdin's so it always had to gross more.

• Like 1

Just now, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Except your description ignores that it was a suicide move, indicating why nobody does it and Holdo was being portrayed as brave/self-sacrificing rather than smart.

Holdo maneuver killed space combat in Star Wars and made it a complete utter joke. Like why bother building a Death Star and not an army of hyperspace bombs instead? Even with JJ's "one in a million" explanation it sounds like the Empire is better off building millions of hyperspace bombs. This is why I laughed at those people who expected Rogue Squadron to be a big hit, they don't seem to understand how much the sequels have damaged space combat in Star Wars.

6 hours ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Succession, that finale, Wow, plus Barry too, Wow. Why go to theaters when HBO has such good programing on Sundays. 

Did something actually happen on Succession? Glad others seem to love it but man does that show drag. Once they removed by far the most interesting actor/character, I bailed. Hopefully this was a series finale and not just a season finale? I'll be nice to not hear about it ever again.

I did just watch The Great's 3rd season about a week ago. That's was, well, almost great. I'll take that series over Succession by a wide margin. Not sure anyone else watches it though. I'll take Poker Face pretty comfortably over Succession too.

Barry looks incredible. I really need to watch it.

When's Amazon gonna finally give us Season 2 of Invincible? When is the new season of Only Murders gonna drop on Hulu? 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

45 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

As for obviously dumber things in major movie franchises, the Jurassic franchise has you covered with at least 5 stupider moments than anything that happens even in the worst Star Wars films just on its own.

- Both dinosaur escape sequences in the first and second Jurassic World films. (JW1 and 2)

- The dinosaur gun plot from the second Jurassic World film (point at gun at someone you want to kill so that you....can send a dinosaur at them). (JW2)

- "Alan". (JP3)

- The T-Rex who can kill the ship's crew and then shut itself in the ship's cargo hold.  (LW)

- Raising the dinosaurs and having the original dinosaur park on an active volcano. (JW2)

- Magical cliff that wasn't there seconds ago (JP)

- Clone that isn't a clone that is a clone that isn't a clone (JW3)

A.)  In The Lost World T Rex started to slip into coma due to overdose so the medical people gave him a drug to counteract the effects of tranquilizer, but it worked too well and T Rex woke up and started laying waste to the ship. So one brave person lured the T Rex in the cargo hold while someone else closed it.

Less of a dumb moment, more of a result of cutting floor.

B.) The Laser Gun was stupid, but it was not only the Gun, but all laser devices, as shown in Jurassic World 3, where they didn't use the guns, but just a small device.

C.) Isla Nublar volcano wasn't Active when John Hammond built the park, it was dormant and was right to never be active again, it was only after the events of Camp Cretaceous season 3 that the Volcano got active due to a great machine manufacturing and causing the major tectonic activities which awakened the long dormant volcano.

This one i understand because it requires outside watching to realize but atleast there's a reason, and makers realised this mistake and tried to rectify it.

D.) The people who were adults, who could think clearly did not press the button to release the Dinosaur, it was a small girl who clearly didn't know any better, emotional, scared and pretty much couldn't think much about future consequences who did that.

E.) Magic Cliff is not a dumb moment, it's a movie mistake.

F.) Indominus Escaping was just panic and people unable to think clearly, it's dumb in a way but it's realistic dumb, human history is filled with accidents which could've been averted if people had thought Clearly.

National Geographic has an entire  show about disasters in history and more than half are caused by human negligence.

F.) Clone part was retconed, but it can be easily explained by a simple fact, Elli Mills so was the bad guy simply lied to Owen and Clair about Maisi being a clone. 

G.) ALAN..... It was a dream sequence, it didn't happen, that was just Alan Grant having a nightmare.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

A.)  In The Lost World T Rex started to slip into coma due to overdose so the medical people gave him a drug to counteract the effects of tranquilizer, but it worked too well and T Rex woke up and started laying waste to the ship. So one brave person lured the T Rex in the cargo hold while someone else closed it.

Less of a dumb moment, more of a result of cutting floor.

B.) The Laser Gun was stupid, but it was not only the Gun, but all laser devices, as shown in Jurassic World 3, where they didn't use the guns, but just a small device.

C.) Isla Nublar volcano wasn't Active when John Hammond built the park, it was dormant and was right to never be active again, it was only after the events of Camp Cretaceous season 3 that the Volcano got active due to a great machine manufacturing and causing the major tectonic activities which awakened the long dormant volcano.

This one i understand because it requires outside watching to realize but atleast there's a reason, and makers realised this mistake and tried to rectify it.

D.) The people who were adults, who could think clearly did not press the button to release the Dinosaur, it was a small girl who clearly didn't know any better, emotional, scared and pretty much couldn't think much about future consequences who did that.

E.) Magic Cliff is not a dumb moment, it's a movie mistake.

F.) Indominus Escaping was just panic and people unable to think clearly, it's dumb in a way but it's realistic dumb, human history is filled with accidents which could've been averted if people had thought Clearly.

National Geographic has an entire  show about disasters in history and more than half are caused by human negligence.

F.) Clone part was retconed, but it can be easily explained by a simple fact, Elli Mills so was the bad guy simply lied to Owen and Clair about Maisi being a clone. 

G.) ALAN..... It was a dream sequence, it didn't happen, that was just Alan Grant having a nightmare.

Wait... People needed to watch Camp Cretaceous Season 3 to get certain events in a Jurassic movie? And, I thought MCU leaving plot point in their D+ series was dumb... Wow. Haha.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Any updated Sunday numbers? Were FX and GotGV3 and SMBM lowballed? Where's TLM headed when the estimates are revised a bit today? Thanks!

TLM and F10 similar to ests, Gotg3 flat from sat

Edited by Legions of the Galaxy
  • Like 1

The Little Mermaid trounced Aladdin here and doubled the OW of The Jungle Book. It opened well below BatB and TLK but those are in a different level.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The Little Mermaid trounced Aladdin here and doubled the OW of The Jungle Book. It opened well below BatB and TLK but those are in a different level.

I've been fascinated by some of the biggest breakouts in Portugal that you relay to us in your posts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Disney really needs to manage their budgets. WDAS and Pixar originals having a $200M budget or MCU solo films having $250M budget is too high. 

Is it just a Disney thing? Budgets for Fast X and Transformers 6 I imagine are rather enormous. I assume The Flash has a huge budget. I assume Dune and Dune 2 have huge budgets. Wasn't Killing of the Flower Moon's budget 200M+ too? I know Illumination does a fantastic job keeping costs down. But, otherwise, by and large, I feel this is a big studio thing more so than a Disney thing.

Ah the short TLJ discussion brought me back to the glorious times of December 2017 / early 2018. Those were the times. Every single thread infested with the same arguments and counter-arguments. Everyone speaking to others in the same way someone would speak to a stone wall. The hours weve all wasted in these discussions only to realize that were waging an endless war over a movie with space wizards and little blue laser swords.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Brainbug said:

Ah the short TLJ discussion brought me back to the glorious times of December 2017 / early 2018. Those were the times. Every single thread infested with the same arguments and counter-arguments. Everyone speaking to others in the same way someone would speak to a stone wall. The hours weve all wasted in these discussions only to realize that were waging an endless war over a movie with space wizards and little blue laser swords.

Good, simpler times. Our biggest concern was that Rey was a nobody and that Snoke was a shit dead villain.

29 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I've been fascinated by some of the biggest breakouts in Portugal that you relay to us in your posts.

My favorite of the year is still The Pope's Exorcist slaying so hard here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2