Eric S'ennui

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** THE FLASH SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

The scene from all the Ads of Supergirl saying “are you ready?” is lifted from the original ending where she turns up at the courtyard with Keaton. Notice the paparazzi in the background.

All around solid entry level superhero flick, but once again, there is too much story for its potential to fully be realized in 1 film. Also remarkable how much of a direct sequel to the previous Justice League film this is.  

Film should have been broken up into 2 films, with film 1 expanding on KEATON's GOTHAM and establishing an entirely new non-Zod villain. Film should give Keaton a much larger role and end with their discovery of no Kal-el, but Kara.

Film 2 should open with the rescue of Kara, following new villain as things progress, and more cleanly wrap up the multiverse situation. 

Producer excel would love part 1/part 2 films because part 2 requires so much less marketing $$$.

Edited by excel1

i would have stuck with the original ending , kind of makes Keaton and new Supergirl over before even really starting , they did have a lot of potential , dc is a mess, , i question those in charge taste, how bad could batgirl be with keaton and fraiser , at worse it would be a streaming hit, zaslav sucks

• Like 3

The deepfake CG cameo disaster keeps getting worse

So there's 0 Arrow-Verse connection here, but we George Reeves - the Superman nobody remembers.

Edit: Also Nicolas Cage actually physically shot his scene for this. The CG 'de-aging' is just so bad that it looks like cartoon

"He did volume-capture because we needed his performance, but in the movie, obviously Superman is younger, so we wanted to portray a Superman that is the age that Superman was in 1996, which is the year where the movie Superman Lives would have come out," Andy Muschietti explains. "We did have to refer to digital enhancement in the aging."

Though there was heavy CGI involved to de-age Cage for the cameo, Barbara confirms, "We shot him in his suit and he looked insane. Amazing."

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

George Clooney would be a great choice for the DCU Batman

Yes he would. Honestly the laughter at Miller's WTF as Clooney walks up was enormous in my screening. 

On 6/16/2023 at 10:54 PM, Spidey Freak said:

Affleck LITERALLY starred as him, in a movie about this! 

Piece of film Trivia: Playing Superman is one of George Reeves two great on screen claims to fame; what is the other?

Saw it. Overall enjoyed it, but it had a LOT of flaws. I thin kthe mood change from not taking itself too seriously to being dead (literally" serious in the last part o fthe film was clumisily handled.

ANybody else spot the quick shot of the Adam West Batman?

I am curious to see the original final scene; why do I get a feeling it was nixed by Gunn and Safran because it didnot fit in with their plans for the DCU?

Glad somebody else remembered the Irony in Affleck playing George Reeves in a movie a few years ago.

^Hollywoodland was the start of the slow Ben Affleck comeback after his insane overexposure caused meltdown in 2003. Ben was great in that movie. 

I am completely surprised that anyone thought that the original ending would work on any level. Flash, Wonder Woman, BatKeaton, Aquaman, and SuperGirl together in a rousing pump up "we are the new Justice League" scene would have been cringe. THAT is the angle for moving on from Affleck and Cavill? Turning it into a joke with Clooney is 10x better and a light-hearted note to end one of the biggest 'missed opportunities" commercial properties in some time. Had The Flash ultimately been a huge hit, all of them could have been explained in some way if needed.

Unfulfilled potential is the final theme of the DCEU. Horrific planning and botch execution of some solid ideas really undid them. 

Edited by excel1

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

^Hollywoodland was the start of the slow Ben Affleck comeback after his insane overexposure caused meltdown in 2003. Ben was great in that movie. 

I am completely surprised that anyone thought that the original ending would work on any level. Flash, Wonder Woman, BatKeaton, Aquaman, and SuperGirl together in a rousing pump up "we are the new Justice League" scene would have been cringe. THAT is the angle for moving on from Affleck and Cavill? Turning it into a joke with Clooney is 10x better and a light-hearted note to end one of the biggest 'missed opportunities" commercial properties in some time. Had The Flash ultimately been a huge hit, all of them could have been explained in some way if needed.

Unfulfilled potential is the final theme of the DCEU. Horrific planning and botch execution of some solid ideas really undid them. 

Hiring the wrong person to be put in charge of the DCEU was the single biggest error.

Yeah dug the ending personally but even I have to admit we definitely needed more time with Keaton and Sasha to give them arcs and their  death more of a punch bse esp Sasha really felt like a plot device to push the story forward.

Overall it has problems but what stood out where two Barry's and where enough to glue the whole movie together for me.  Dug the mentor-mentee relationship btn them and yeah for once the humour worked.  In ZJL and JL ,found EZra humour cringe.

Ending with 18 yo Ezra  was tragic  and the end was surprisingly emotional.

It was Barry story through and through and think they nail his arc but the rest of moving parts were exactly excuted well . Script was good enough needed some Tweeks . Heavy reeshots were involved esp with the ending.

Just cut the Clooney cameo it was to goofy after a rather bleak ending.

So what do you guys think of the original plan to have Keaton's Batman and Supergirl appearing at the end, and continue on the DCEU replacing Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill? Being a Batfleck fan, I initially hated this idea when it was leaked, but I actually really liked Keaton's story arc in this film, and wouldn't mind that. It would actually be awesome for Keaton's to be back, and Affleck's being suddenly gone leaving things unresolved would be sad in kind of a poetic way. It would also leave the door open for a surprise appearance in the future to give it a closure. As for Supergirl replacing Superman, though, it just wouldn't feel right, because it's not the same character. We would always miss Superman/Clark in the DC universe.

On 6/14/2023 at 3:45 PM, Jonwo said:

It's a shame they couldn't get Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan but I'm impressed Clooney agreed to reprise the role of Bruce Wayne. 

I think Ryan Reynolds pretty much said everything he wants to say about "Green Lantern" in that post credit scene in "Deadpool 2".

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So what do you guys think of the original plan to have Keaton's Batman and Supergirl appearing at the end, and continue on the DCEU replacing Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill? Being a Batfleck fan, I initially hated this idea when it was leaked, but I actually really liked Keaton's story arc in this film, and wouldn't mind that. It would actually be awesome for Keaton's to be back, and Affleck's being suddenly gone leaving things unresolved would be sad in kind of a poetic way. It would also leave the door open for a surprise appearance in the future to give it a closure. As for Supergirl replacing Superman, though, it just wouldn't feel right, because it's not the same character. We would always miss Superman/Clark in the DC universe.

I have to think they shot two final secnes simply because even before GUnn came on board, the idea that the whole Snyderverse might be scraped and they would go back to stage one was being considered.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:30 AM, DInky said:

Keaton and Supergirl got zero resolution. The whole alt universe story ended up being a dream basically.

I thnk the Gunn id not going to use them in his DC reboot had a lot to do with that.

I guess you could argue that all of Humanity in that world wold be destroyed by Zod, but still it is really clumsly handled.

Edited by dudalb