Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

The more I think about the more it pisses me off that they brought Keaton back for this film. Yes, he was fantastic in it but the reception to this film has killed any chance of getting a proper sequel to Batman Returns or even a Batman Beyond type movie with Keaton. This should have been a Flash solo movie, period, and they should have saved Keaton for a movie that actually has that Tim Burton feel.

• Like 1

I forgot about the Hunger Games as a live action 2010s franchise. It's amazing how quickly those fizzled out after the first two were such insane hits. I doubt the new one even hits 120. Another mishandling of a potentially potent IP.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's amazing how many slam dunk properties are in some sort of death spiral or at least walking wounded. Star Wars, DC, Harry Potter, Pixar, Transformers, Disney animation, and yes, the MCU all taking on heavy water. Fast franchise ending and weaksauce, Jurassic World ended for a bit, Godzilla vs Kong box office novelty wasted during COVID, John Wick on hiatus, Disney out of obvious remakes, Conjuring probably done, Lord of the Rings show getting less eyes than White Lotus...yeesh. I was talking about this with another poster but the current IP to be mined is mostly just video games and Illumination shit. What new live action franchises did 2010-2019 produce? John Wick, Conjuring, and Quiet Place? Not exactly the murderer's row the 90s and 00s produced. 

Things could be about to get very, very bad. Or maybe the industry will actually make good new shit. I wish I trusted audiences to consume it.

Stranger Things the biggest franchise created in the 2010s. They should really consider making the finale a movie. It would be huge 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

How do we make sense of this?

Aren't previews starting much earlier these days than back when Inside out came out?

An original movie is probably not nearly as frontloaded as even Lightyear last year, so I still have hope it gets to a decent OW. But idk. Not looking to good imo.

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's amazing how many slam dunk properties are in some sort of death spiral or at least walking wounded. Star Wars, DC, Harry Potter, Pixar, Transformers, Disney animation, and yes, the MCU all taking on heavy water. Fast franchise ending and weaksauce, Jurassic World ended for a bit, Godzilla vs Kong box office novelty wasted during COVID, John Wick on hiatus, Disney out of obvious remakes, Conjuring probably done, Lord of the Rings show getting less eyes than White Lotus...yeesh. I was talking about this with another poster but the current IP to be mined is mostly just video games and Illumination shit. What new live action franchises did 2010-2019 produce? John Wick, Conjuring, and Quiet Place? Not exactly the murderer's row the 90s and 00s produced. 

Things could be about to get very, very bad. Or maybe the industry will actually make good new shit. I wish I trusted audiences to consume it.

The studies have milked the hell out of those properties over the last 2 decades. The franchise game really took off in 2001 and has never relented. Indiana Jones having a Flash-like opening would be the nail in the coffin on this front. It is not as simple as "audiences want nostalgia". They want it in a very specific way. 

Hollywood is going to have to actually take some risks and produce quality stuff. We may be about to see this pay off with Barbie. Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers were widely viewed as impending flops which became huge franchises.

Another obvious source for material will be taking streaming hits to the big screen. I.E. I think we all know that Stranger Things or Game of Thrones moving final seasons or episodes to film would have been enormous box office hits.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3