Eric S'ennui

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

Following up on this, I mentioned in the tracking thread the other day that the sales pattern for Flash - both in overall trajectory and additional nuance in a local spot check - was a little weird, and I had a theory as to what was happening “under the hood”. Namely, that while the fans were still buying early and walk-ups were fine to good, a chunk of the typical middle ground audience - frequent but not really fans - one would expect for a release like this was somewhat missing, likely due to some combination of Erza’a issues and the impending DC reboot 

The fact that at least half of the reviews mentioned those issue in some form may have helped turn off as many people - largely women - as the overall decent RT score may have drawn GA folks in off the fence, at least for Thursday. But then the heavily skewed male/fan heavy audience were not impressed, and poor WOM dragged down potential even further from an already limited audience pool 

Are we sure women aren't as interested in this because of Ezra's issues or because Ezra isn't as attractive as the regular superhero male lead?

Clueless GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Sorry but let's bring some common sense back to these threads.  I'm tired of fanboys and their dumb narratives and agendas.  I like comic book movies as much as the next person but some people are insufferable about them.  I feel like Scorsese had a point. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Everyone wants to focus on the studio and Ezra Miller's issues but let's be serious,  the biggest reason why The Flash is underperforming is because they told you months ago that Shazam 2,  The Flash and Aquaman 2 are lame duck movies.  

Thats funny. They told me 2 months ago that The Flash was the greatest piece of cinema since Edison brought film to light. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Transformers numbers sounds about right for Indy, a bit higher domestically. Both franchises past their peak and without the people that made them big in the first place. 

Indy technically still has the guy who made it big but it's way past its peak and has Crystal Skull as a counterweight to the classic trilogy's nostalgia.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Barbie is not going to break out either.  DOA. 

Nah. Barbie is gonna do phenomenal. Theaters in Australia already have tickets on sale and it's doing gangbusters

Edited by Maggie

Just now, AJG said:

Thats funny. They told me 2 months ago that The Flash was the greatest piece of cinema since Edison brought film to light. 

I don't think anyone said that did they?  James Gunn said it was one of his favorite movies of the year and that's his right to say that, it doesn't mean you have to believe it.  The CEO of WB hyped the movie up but that's also what he's supposed to do.  

If you feel slighted somehow because a studio head hyped up a movie then you are going to be feeling slighted an awful lot.  

Remember when Feige said Eternals was a masterpiece?   And that ended up being trash?   This stuff happens all the time.  Get used to it. 

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Are we sure women aren't as interested in this because of Ezra's issues or because Ezra isn't as attractive as the regular superhero male lead?

Clueless GIFs | Tenor

I mean they are accused of the most heinous shit I’ve seen in a good while. I mean you gotta work to look worse than Armie Hammer’s accusations. Somehow they’ve topped that. Also I find it offensive to women to suggest this, even in jest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Maggie said:

Nah. Barbie is gonna do phenomenal. Theaters in Australia already have tickets on sale it's doing gangbusters

Nah.  You watch.  It's got a hype machine going no doubt but interest will wane and I don't see it actually being a "good" movie either. 

Looking at the demo split, women clearly not show up for this movie probably cause Ezra controversy.

Now Aquaman has Amber Heard who is even more controversial than Ezra.

I wonder which demo will show up?! 🤔

Probably none.

Edited by Claudio

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Barbie at least 70M OW. Book it!

I'm not disputing that though I think more like $60M-$65M it's the quality and legs that I'm not really sure and cautious about, but as always I would like to be proven wrong because the box office has mostly been a graveyard.  

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Claudio said:

Looking at the demo split, women clearly not show up for this movie probably cause Ezra controversy.

Now Aquaman has Amber Heard who is even more controversial than Ezra.

I wonder which demo will show up?! 🤔

Probably none.

I don’t like Amber. But claiming she is more ‘controversial’ than Ezra is ehhh… a lot of people believe her. Situation is clearly different between them. I’m not sure how well Aquaman 2 will fare, but doing well, eh or The Flash will be unrelated to her. It’s a movie WB made and it was delayed into oblivion. Maybe Wan could pull it off, maybe he doesn’t, I imagine it will do better than The Flash, but no clue by how much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like Amber. But claiming she is more ‘controversial’ than Ezra is ehhh… a lot of people believe her. Situation is clearly different between them. I’m not sure how well Aquaman 2 will fare, but doing well, eh or The Flash will be unrelated to her. It’s a movie WB made and it was delayed into oblivion. Maybe Wan could pull it off, maybe he doesn’t, I imagine it will do better than The Flash, but no clue by how much.

The main thing going for her is she's apparently barely in the movie anyway so the guilt trip is harder.