Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

2.3x legs might be optimistic at this point lol

Right now, I’d put the cut line at O/U Lightyear ($118M) 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

17 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Does nobody have a grasp of reality anymore

Not everything is the BEST or the WORST. Not everything is a BOMB or a HUGE SUCCESS. Why is everything moving to the extremes at an alarming rate?

Bruh people are talking about Flash being a MEGA BOMBA because flash is, factually, a MEGA BOMBA

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Predicted what exactly? The DCEU clearly isn’t the same as DC films or the DCU, let alone the MCU. The narrative that Spielberg predicted the implosion of superhero blockbusters only works if we ignore what all the MCU films did since the end of the pandemic other than Quantumania, including two of them released released less than two months ago (Yeah I’m claiming the Spider-Verse films as part of the MCU, fight me)

• Like 1

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Predicted what exactly? The DCEU clearly isn’t the same as DC films or the DCU, let alone the MCU. The narrative that Spielberg predicted the implosion of superhero blockbusters only works if we ignore what all the MCU films did since the end of the pandemic other than Quantumania, including two of them released released less than two months ago (Yeah I’m claiming the Spider-Verse films as part of the MCU, fight me)

he's talking about blockbusters in general not just comic book movies, expand your mind buddy

TLM

The Flash

Fast X

Quantumania

4 movies already this year that haven't broke even/won't and IJ5 is likely to join the list next

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Comeback Momma Said Knock You Out GIF by LL Cool J

it probably would've done in that 5.5-6M range. ATSV only had 31% drop on Monday...decent chance Elemental would have had similar drop which would place it around 5.6M

26 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Is that good for Spiderverse?

I also wonder what it would do if it kept PLFs.

Sure. But, one could say the same for pretty much every blockbuster released so far this summer blockbuster season starting with GotGV3. TLM would've held with better numbers if it continued to retain PLFs too. Same will apply to the cluster of Indy 5, MI 7, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Haunted Mansion, TMNT Mutant Mayhem, Meg 2... The short answer is, it'd have held better. But, the same short answer applies to other movies this summer too. 

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I think Elemental stand a bigger chance. 

Eh, the weaker TFri to Sat increase implies not a great (like -40%) second weekend hold incoming. ATSV is probably getting some PLFs back, is the favorite to land at #1

Might have 4 films at $15-$20M (if No Hard Feelings can do enough to get there)

For a movie that attract so much negative press like Flash, is gonna to have terrible legs regardless of actual WOM. The bad press is too much for potential audience to bear or give it a try. In this digital era, buzz matters more than ever. 

This is why I can't emphasis more that ATOW did something remarkable by overcoming the negative headline during its OW and come back alive, after the headline of the movie breaking $!bn start circulating and turn thing around. 

Just now, GOGODanca said:

he's talking about blockbusters in general not just comic book movies, expand your mind buddy

TLM

The Flash

Fast X

Quantumania

4 movies already this year that haven't broke even/won't and IJ5 is likely to join the list next

Haven’t we had a very mild 2014 before? If my memory serves me well, we did. I feel like we are still suffering through a post-pandemic crowd with very different habits, very streaming friendly. Also the films you mention didn’t came back to back, and I wouldn’t call TLM, Fast X and Quantumania flops. Underperformers, sure, but flop? Mega bomba? That’s The Flash. Arguably the worse since I started following box office, this clearly is tipping 2012’s John Carter. We will be fine, but we desperately need a bigger window for some films. Disney would be wise to just change their policy when it comes to all their MCU, Pixar and Lucasfilm films streaming release window. Consumers need to get used to go back to the movies, and regardless of what No Way Home, Maverick and Avatar 2 did, we are still quite not there yet.

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Eh, the weaker TFri to Sat increase implies not a great (like -40%) second weekend hold incoming. ATSV is probably getting some PLFs back, is the favorite to land at #1

Might have 4 films at $15-$20M (if No Hard Feelings can do enough to get there)

Holiday weekend during summer always suppressed Saturday's growth. And for a movie that achieve 12.3x IM over OW, Elemental will have smaller problem dealing with "inflated by preview" OW.