Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I thought paying people off for good reviews was a Marvel thing?

No one mentioned reviews, but paying celebrities for endorsements has been a thing since the Roman times with Gladiators.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

This is not how u promote a film. As I said back in the day it was a desperate move because they knew the film was, indeed, a mess.

Nah, if they knew it was a mess - they wouldnt have the early review embargo lifting compares to many other DCEU films or so many early screenings to build WoM.

There is a disconnect here between what they thought audience liked and what audience really like - that is all.

I don’t really like this “they must have paid off all the celebs who endorsed it” nonsense. Once, we have no evidence of that. Two, the film got decent reviews (over 60% of professional film critics liked it) so is it really that far-fetched that some big names in Hollywood would have enjoyed it too? Heck, just because it’s a box office flop doesn’t mean it’s a bad movie. People just seem to be projecting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No legs can save either Flash (not that it will get any legs anyways) or Elemental from flopping. Flash has a worldwide OW of like 110-140m, even with 3x legs would get to at most 400m (but not happening as I said given B CS) which is still a huge flop.

Elemental has worldwide OW of like 50-70m, even with 4x legs off the high end it would still only get to under 300m worldwide but it's probably not gonna get to that, maybe even only half of that if legs aren't superb. 2 bombs for the ages in one weekend. Wild stuff.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Well, there was a pandemic and WB decided to go for simultaneous OTT release for 2 films, one of which was WW84 which would have surely coasted past 400M based on the popularity of its predecessor if it had come out in other circumstances.

Also, Joker and The Batman exist. While not DCEU, their successes provide some hope for the DC brand and are the reason why DC projects still keep attracting top talent.

Shazam 2 only made 1/3 of it's predecessor. WW -> 1984 was a similar, if not bigger drop in quality. If WW84 had hypothetically been delayed to 2022, a total in the 300s or lower should not be discounted hypothetically.

There is no floor for DC.

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don’t really like this “they must have paid off all the celebs who endorsed it” nonsense. Once, we have no evidence of that. Two, the film got decent reviews (over 60% of professional film critics liked it) so is it really that far-fetched that some big names in Hollywood would have enjoyed it too? Heck, just because it’s a box office flop doesn’t mean it’s a bad movie. People just seem to be projecting.

It got a B Cinemascore and the critic reviews really aren't that great (Most 'critics' on RT now are bloggers with its Top Critic score being a dismal 49%). I'm not saying they must've or that it was for sure just that it's really weird how it all turned out and it's not like celebrities don't get paid to endorse stuff. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

There is a disconnect here between what they thought audience liked and what audience really like - that is all.

Audiences like DC movies that aren’t connected to the DCEU.

The fact they haven’t realised this for so many years is quite incredible.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

What's the chances that Spidey and Elemental could pick up a few PLFs from The Flash as early as next weekend? This dumpster fire is tracking for a second weekend drop for the ages.

Why would theaters take screens from one bomb just to give it to another movie bombing just as hard, if not even harder?

9 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Audiences like DC movies that aren’t connected to the DCEU.

The fact they haven’t realised this for so many years is quite incredible.

I mean this film is getting good reviews here in Asia though

What did WB expected with this? Ezra is a toxic PEP and the DC brand is a poisoned brand, outside Batman I cannot see many profitable DC projects, even Aquaman could be in the same path as Flash.

James Gunn should just give more money to Matt Reeve's approach and expand his Batman Universe.

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

You really can't beat a DC opening weekend over here, pure chaos and insane page counts without fail. 

A 200 million blockbuster doing sub 60's OW is a total failure, even an Ant Man movie managed to do far more and didn't even reached 500 WW. ouch.

10 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Hey WB, are you gonna punt Aquaman for Dune NOW? And don't talk to me about the "invaluable DC brand" either.

I'm honestly starting to agree with you on that topic. Dump Aquaman in January, send The Color Purple to February (Black History Month) now that Marvel vacated that spot, and give the prime holiday slot to Dune. The big challenge of course is the Wonka prequel movie in December also starring Little Timmy, but that can work well on November too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Hey WB, are you gonna punt Aquaman for Dune NOW? And don't talk to me about the "invaluable DC brand" either.

They should do with Aquaman what they should have done with Flash. Accept your losses, dump it on streaming, and don't spend the hundreds of millions trying to sell a dead franchise again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

They should do with Aquaman what they should have done with Flash. Accept your losses, dump it on streaming, and don't spend the hundreds of millions trying to sell a dead franchise again.

That'd lose them even more money. They're just kind of stuck with these.

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm honestly starting to agree with you on that topic. Dump Aquaman in January, send The Color Purple to February (Black History Month) now that Marvel vacated that spot, and give the prime holiday slot to Dune. The big challenge of course is the Wonka prequel movie in December also starring Little Timmy, but that can work well on November too.

For a long time I considered putting Aquaman 2 in the "MLK weekend 2024" slot but I now think that's too valuable for it. Either give it the January M3gan slot or put it towards the end of Feb. (Valentine's Day?) It's current slot of "put all the PLFs into this movie" is an utter fucking waste after multiple dead DCEU bombs.