YM!

Weekday Thread | TUE - Flash $5.28M, Elementals $5.0M, Spidey $4.7M, Transformer $2.8M, TLM $2.2M

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Damn guess China hates old people

I'm not sure if you're joking or not. However, action movies with old people as protagonists aren't common on any part of the World.

Indiana Jones 5 exists due to name recognition in USA, but India Jones doesn't seem to have name recognition in China.

Edited by Kon

6 minutes ago, Flip said:

If it can survive Ruby Gilman (probably can easily) then there really isn’t any competition until TMNT

Shouldn't be too hard since Ruby Gillman looks DOA.

53 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Why is that?

Mix of weakening euro, shrinking western european markets, and just Europe not really getting on board with a lot of new franchises that are dominating the film world...MCU never really took off here in europe for example, Endgame wasn't even the highest grossing film of 2019.

32 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Mix of weakening euro, shrinking western european markets, and just Europe not really getting on board with a lot of new franchises that are dominating the film world...MCU never really took off here in europe for example, Endgame wasn't even the highest grossing film of 2019.

Man... they need to start making more Bond films.

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Also, in the Netherlands cinemas are still recovering from the pandemic. There are 30% less visitors compared to pre-pandemic. A news report said it’s because of inflation, high energy prices, but the biggest competition is ‘live entertainment’ (bowling, etc). 
I can imagine this to be the case for some other European countries as well. Someone mentioned that good weather is competition for cinemas in Germany and UK. People are just happy to do fun stuff outdoors again.

Also, about Indiana Jones: some casual moviegoers were making fun of his old age. I know people are joking, but I think ageism may (or may not) become an issue. I’m ashamed to admit that I too was/am meh about Ford’s age.

Edited by McNerdy
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

Also, in the Netherlands cinemas are still recovering from the pandemic. There are 30% less visitors compared to pre-pandemic. A news report said it’s because of inflation, high energy prices, but the biggest competition is ‘live entertainment’ (bowling, etc). 
I can imagine this to be the case for some other European countries as well. Someone mentioned that good weather is competition for cinemas in Germany and UK. People are just happy to do fun stuff outdoors again.

Also, about Indiana Jones: some casual moviegoers were making fun of his old age. I know people are joking, but I think ageism may (or may not) become an issue. I’m ashamed to admit that I too was/am meh about Ford’s age.

Fact is the move to streaming that happened during COvid is permanent. I think it would have happened if Covid had never happened,it just would have taken a lot longer.

And as far as Europe goes,a major market just vanishing did not help matters.

3 hours ago, McNerdy said:

In general, main characters in action movies don't tend to be old age. This should be a hint that Ford's age will likely have an effect on the reception.

Indiana 5 exists due to name recognition and nostalgia.

Edited by Kon

22 hours ago, TomThomas said:

I seriously question those scores now, maybe it never tested that well to begin with and it was all marketing lies. It's one thing you got a single misleading test-screening filled with crazy people in it, but when it was tested many times with the same incredible scores? Something doesn't add up.

wrong

14 hours ago, Kon said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not. However, action movies with old people as protagonists aren't common on any part of the World.

Indiana Jones 5 exists due to name recognition in USA, but India Jones doesn't seem to have name recognition in China.

Because Indiana Jones is not even called Indiana Jones in China,the title of the movie is “夺宝奇兵”,means “The Amazing Treasure Hunter”,this title is pretty well-known.