YM!

Weekday Thread | TUE - Flash $5.28M, Elementals $5.0M, Spidey $4.7M, Transformer $2.8M, TLM $2.2M

The DC brand is so weak right now that even an underperforming Pixar film (which itself is not as strong as it used to be) is still overtaking The Flash in its second weekend. 

Elemental 20.5M (great legs incoming)

Spider-Verse $20M (huge hold due to WOM, proximity to 4th July and premium recovery)

No Hard Feelings $17.5M (solid enough to have faith in comedy genre return)

The Flash $15.5M  (avoiding record drop thanks to no new direct competition)

Transformers $11.5M (still on track to 150M DOM)

Asteroid City $10M (healthy expansion)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JWR said:

The DC brand is so weak right now that even an underperforming Pixar film (which itself is not as strong as it used to be) is still overtaking The Flash in its second weekend. 

The more embarassing fact is that Ant-Man 3 is going to end up ahead of The Flash worldwide when all is said and done, despite the former being based on a far less known character.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomThomas said:

I seriously question those scores now, maybe it never tested that well to begin with and it was all marketing lies. It's one thing you got a single misleading test-screening filled with crazy people in it, but when it was tested many times with the same incredible scores? Something doesn't add up.

I saw a discussion on Youtube with a person who attended CinemaCon and I think his explanation for the difference between the reception to The Flash in early screenings and general audiences' makes sense to me. During the early screenings, WB emphasized that the movie wasn't finished, so people ignored how bad the movie looked because they thought it would look great when officially released. They didn't judge how off-putting certain CGI-created characters were, because they thought it would be polished in the finished film, so they didn't think audiences would reject that, instead thinking it would be something everyone would love. Turns out, CGI was finished, and what WB was referring to was a final cameo they cut from early screenings that they were trying to keep a surprise until the week of release. If people attending early screenings knew they were watching the finished film, the visuals would probably have been weighted into their reactions, which would be more in line with the mediocre reviews The Flash eventually received.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I saw a discussion on Youtube with a person who attended CinemaCon and I think his explanation for the difference between the reception to The Flash in early screenings and general audiences' makes sense to me. During the early screenings, WB emphasized that the movie wasn't finished, so people ignored how bad the movie looked because they thought it would look great when officially released. They didn't judge how off-putting certain CGI-created characters were, because they thought it would be polished in the finished film, so they didn't think audiences would reject that, instead thinking it would be something everyone would love. Turns out, CGI was finished, and what WB was referring to was a final cameo they cut from early screenings that they were trying to keep a surprise until the week of release. If people attending early screenings knew they were watching the finished film, the visuals would probably have been weighted into their reactions, which would be more in line with the mediocre reviews The Flash eventually received.

So, the story would be considered good enough, but the terrible CGI ruined the experience. It isn't impossible.

However, it seems many people aren't so pleased by the story either.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, stripe said:

Elemental 20.5M (great legs incoming)

Spider-Verse $20M (huge hold due to WOM, proximity to 4th July and premium recovery)

No Hard Feelings $17.5M (solid enough to have faith in comedy genre return)

The Flash $15.5M  (avoiding record drop thanks to no new direct competition)

Transformers $11.5M (still on track to 150M DOM)

Asteroid City $10M (healthy expansion)

Think you’re about $10M too high in aggregate, but with only two small releases this weekend after 5 consecutive $50M+ openings, there’s room for holdovers to catch-up and surprise a bit 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The more embarassing fact is that Ant-Man 3 is going to end up ahead of The Flash worldwide when all is said and done, despite the former being based on a far less known character.

but a key character in one of the highest gross films worldwide though.

Anyway not a Marvel vs DC thread.. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Yeah, that's probably the only reasonable explanation that doesn't involve "they were lying" or "test audiences were insane". But even with warnings, you're still going to percept an unfinished movie with tons of unfinished CGI differenly from the finished product, so it's still really odd it tested highly despite so many things you have to ignore and pretend it's gonna be finished or gonna look good.

About 200k less than transformers on the same day but Transformers had to deal with Flash opening compared to Flash dealing with an R-rated comedy. Transformers ended up squeaking over 20mil but i don't see Flash managing that.

Warner should be thanking the stars the Spider-Verse abuse story came out just now, as the press will be focused on that instead of Flash's brutal second weekend drop. Disney will also be pleased to see Spider-Verse 2's awards chances drop by a fair bit as that'll give Elemental and Wish much fairer chances during awards season.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Warner should be thanking the stars the Spider-Verse abuse story came out just now, as the press will be focused on that instead of Flash's brutal second weekend drop. Disney will also be pleased to see Spider-Verse 2's awards chances drop by a fair bit as that'll give Elemental and Wish much fairer chances during awards season.

Honey, I don't think this is what you should be focusing on regarding this story.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Spiderverse awards chances won't drop. It's the best animated movie of the year and taking award away from deserving animators who worked in bad conditions would be unfair. Two wrongs don't make right. At the end of the day, they worked on it so hurting the studio by giving the award to a less deserving movie hurts those animators who suffered enough. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1