baumer

Tuesday Numbers

it's not Avengers that will suffer, it is TDKR..imo.

Indeed. TDK was a domestic overperformer. Although TDKR could ride TDK's good will to an OW record, a drop in the final domestic total is inevitable. WW has a good chance to increase though. Most foreign countries eat superhero sequels up.

Indeed. TDK was a domestic overperformer. Although TDKR could ride TDK's good will to an OW record, a drop in the final domestic total is inevitable. WW has a good chance to increase though. Most foreign countries eat superhero sequels up.

I don't think it will increase WW. But the lack of China for TDK last time hurt it a lot. This time around it will have China, which will be a nice boost for some of the other markets where it will drop (like the UK and Australia). I expect $800-900m worldwide, which is damn good. If this is the "letdown" for a sequel to a big Batman movie, I think WB will be pretty happy with that result compared to the box office of Batman Returns. Heck, Batman Begins only made $370m. They've got to be very happy with where the franchise is sitting compared to where it was, which was dead in the water.

I don't think it will increase WW. But the lack of China for TDK last time hurt it a lot. This time around it will have China, which will be a nice boost for some of the other markets where it will drop (like the UK and Australia). I expect $800-900m worldwide, which is damn good. If this is the "letdown" for a sequel to a big Batman movie, I think WB will be pretty happy with that result compared to the box office of Batman Returns. Heck, Batman Begins only made $370m. They've got to be very happy with where the franchise is sitting compared to where it was, which was dead in the water.

I am hoping TASM can do the same for the Spider-Man franchise, but there's still the uncharted waters Sony is in here. Rebooting after SM3 is tantamount to the Batman franchise rebooting after Batman Forever in 2000 and never making B&R(Yes, I have fantasized about this). One has to wonder if Sony would have been better off releasing the complete disaster that was to be SM4. Sure, they would have had to wait longer between SM4 and TASM, but the public would have been more open to the reboot idea. Especially if the reboot's quality is along the lines of BB then the sequel the same quality as TDK.

I think this situation mirrors 2010 in some ways. We had a stellar first quater, a huge hit in March, and then the box office kind of went downhill. Every major release in April so far underperformed.Could the Avengers suffer the same fate as Iron Man 2?

A BIG NO.

Aren't you predicting $450m for it? How is that suffering? :o

450 is gerat for TDKR, I'm just saying that will be a drop, not an increase like some are maintaining.

The Hunger Games $1,565,935 12% Titanic 3D $893,187 12% Tuesday increases seem pretty normal with actuals.

I was thinking more along the lines of 20%:1 The Hunger Games $1,565,935 12% 3,916 -221 $400 $339,629,253 4 Lionsgate 2 The Cabin in the Woods $1,306,947 10% 2,811 -- $465 $17,243,529 1 Lionsgate 3 American Reunion $1,008,945 21% 3,203 11 $315 $41,554,365 2 Universal 4 The Three Stooges $942,867 17% 3,477 -- $271 $18,755,685 1 Fox 5 Titanic 3D $893,187 12% 2,697 23 $331 $46,417,940 2 Paramount 6 Lockout $512,314 12% 2,308 -- $222 $7,202,608 1 Open Road 7 Mirror Mirror $502,713 25% 3,206 -412 $157 $50,221,071 3 Relativity Media 8 Dr. Seuss' The Lorax $190,080 6% 2,112 -891 $90 $204,883,515 7 Universal

People are crazy to expect TDKR to increase domestically (has anyone around here actually rpedicted as much though?) but I don't think it's unreasonable to think it has a good chance to beat it WW. 4 years is a long time in the international markets, it seems.

Edited by Hatebox

People are crazy to expect TDKR to increase domestically (has anyone around here actually rpedicted as much though?) but I don't think it's unreasonable to think it has a good chance to beat it WW. 4 years is a long time in the international markets, it seems.

I think BJ is predicting $600m for it. But didn't he leave the board?

I think it's pretty much locked to beat TDK WW. No matter how much it drops DOM, it will make up even more OS. I'm thinking sth like 450-480m DOM and 600-650m OS. Edited by vc2002