Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Saw the Joy Ride sneak preview tonight...

If this and No Hard Feelings are meant to revive the theatrical studio comedy.... well, let's not cancel the funeral just yet

(But what do I know? The theater was going insane throughout. But I miss when comedies had... comedy. And not "jokes" about how white a show Friends was or sprinkling profanity into every sentence. The raunchy comedy died 10 years ago, let it rest. Apatow, Todd Phillips, the Farrelly Bros, Ben Stiller.. they all did!)

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Saw the Joy Ride sneak preview tonight...

If this and No Hard Feelings are meant to revive the theatrical studio comedy.... well, let's not cancel the funeral just yet

(But what do I know? The theater was going insane throughout. But I miss when comedies had... comedy. And not "jokes" about how white a show Friends was or sprinkling profanity into every sentence. The raunchy comedy died 10 years ago, let it rest. Apatow, Todd Phillips, the Farrelly Bros, Ben Stiller.. they all did!)

The Blackening was a breath a fresh air

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kon said:

Characters in movies aren't real, but we are still expected to empathize with them. So, I don't understand your answer.

It's pretty common to dislike a character if their behavior feels abusive.

That said, it's pretty possible people is too defensive with Indy.

What do you mean you're not nihilist bro? Come on bro, nothing matters bro. Just stop respecting and caring about things I don't bro. We have been dealing with nihilism in the culture for a long time, but it wasn't till the last 10 years I saw the sentiment of "why do you even care about that, what's wrong with you". Really scary when people get mad at people for caring about things they don't care about.

I'm not patriotic and don't like rally around the flag stuff, but my father in law was a marine and worked for NASA, so you better believe I take down his flag with the utmost care and fold properly. Respecting things others care about is how you foster a better world.

4 hours ago, Starphanluke said:

Imagine thinking Indy is bombing because of Phoebe Waller Bridge. Get a grip, y'all.

(Also, she and Teddy were the best parts of the movie).

Imagine denying certain elements repeatedly being used in under performing products is having an affect. Helena's portrayl in the trailer confirmed the Rey effect would be present in Indy 5. This whole thread talks about the movie not being right for younger audiences, well don't put something in it older audiences dislike then. 

You can't complain that "incels" and simply "not liking women" exist then deny a box office could be affected by alienating people. It's like complaining the US is a white supremacist, bigoted, sexist country then demand those power structures aren't hurting Disney's box offices b/c you don't want them to have any power. It's an oxymoron.

Edited by rebelscum86
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, DAR said:

We didn’t deserve that summer.

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

Mind you the following Summer gave us Speed, The Lion King, True Lies, Forrest Gump and The Mask. 

4 hours ago, Flopped said:

Love this movie, flaws and all (it's 20 mins too long). It famously knocked Jurassic Park out of the top spot. 

That said my favorite star driven adult thriller from that Summer is In the Line of Fire. I think I like it even more than The Fugitive. 

Anyone here read The Gross? It's the best hollywood biz book I have come across about summer 1998. Tracks the films and behind the scenes studio decision making.

https://www.amazon.com/Gross-Hits-Flops-Summer-Hollywood-ebook/dp/B00C2RVPPI

Edited by rebelscum86
  • Like 2

It is kinda funny how Gunn got the directors of the two biggest bombs of the summer for the first projects of his DCU. (Muschietti and Mangold)

Granted, Mangold will probably be fine in regards to Swamp Thing because he still has that Walk the Line, Logan, Ford v. Ferrari, etc clout to back him up, and Swamp Thing is more than likely gonna be lower budget anyway, but still, the optics are lol  Next director he attaches to something  better be someone with a recent hit. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

It is kinda funny how Gunn got the directors of the two biggest bombs of the summer for the first projects of his DCU. (Muschietti and Mangold)

Granted, Mangold will probably be fine in regards to Swamp Thing because he still has that Walk the Line, Logan, Ford v. Ferrari, etc clout to back him up, and Swamp Thing is more than likely gonna be lower budget anyway, but still, the optics are lol  Next director he attaches to something  better be someone with a recent hit. 

Yeah Mangold is going to be fine. It's Muschietti that feels more obviously on the chopping block.

• Like 1

Just now, Flopped said:

Does anyone know why it cost THREE hundred million dollars? 

15 years in development?? The amount of money Ford could command was probably unreasonable too considering the movie doesn’t exist without him. They would have simply just rebooted with someone new if they didn’t think Ford was a must. 

13 minutes ago, 21C said:

Mangold has his Bob Dylan biopic first which I figure will turn out well with Chalamet

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

15 years in development?? The amount of money Ford could command was probably unreasonable too considering the movie doesn’t exist without him. They would have simply just rebooted with someone new if they didn’t think Ford was a must. 

It was also a COVID shoot that shut down twice due to pandemic related concerns (it was shot on location), Ford got injured early on and production shut down because of as well, and like you said the 15 year development cycle that isn't just Ford's salary (which by all means was actually lower then his for TFA) but also all of the paycheck for the numerous writers that wrote early drafts AND Spielberg's paycheck since he was slated to direct for a very long time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

Helena's portrayl in the trailer confirmed the Rey effect would be present in Indy 5. This whole thread talks about the movie not being right for younger audiences, well don't put something in it older audiences dislike then. 

You can't complain that "incels" and simply "not liking women" exist then deny a box office could be affected by alienating people. It's like complaining the US is a white supremacist, bigoted, sexist country then demand those power structures aren't hurting Disney's box offices b/c you don't want them to have any power. It's an oxymoron.

Title Lifetime Gross  
1 Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens $936,662,225 2015
2 Avengers: Endgame $858,373,000 2019
3 Spider-Man: No Way Home $814,115,070 2021

Is that the effect the name of making the biggest unadjusted dbo of all time ?

The franchise coming up of a so-so received entry and redoing again the Indiana Jones is old now take on it, combined with tepid reviews are big factor here.

16 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Does anyone know why it cost THREE hundred million dollars? 

We almost never see raw movie budget figure being thrown around, 198 millions pound net would be $250 million USD with the current exchange rate, for a Disney blockbuster shoot with covid protocol, de-aging SFX, nothing too special.

That would be around the exact same price than the previous entry in 2008 dollars, even a bit cheaper.

32 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Yeah Mangold is going to be fine. It's Muschietti that feels more obviously on the chopping block.

It's kinda telling that neither Gunn nor the Muschiettis have acknowledged it at all since The Flash released, even tho they both are pretty active on social media. 

The next shareholders meeting is gonna be kinda funny tho if that departure is not announced before. "Don't worry about The Flash bombing, we've got a new DC slate coming. It has a Superman film that James Gunn is directing... and then it also has Brave and the Bold directed by the guy that did The Flash... and a Swamp Thing movie directed by James Mangold, who just did Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That would be around the exact same price than the previous entry in 2008 dollars, even a bit cheaper.

I actually forgot how expensive Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was, jesus. Same price tag as The Dark Knight from that year.