baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

22 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Surprise female turnout for SOF at 57% given the action thriller feel of the movie. Wonder if it is because of child issue connect more with mothers than fathers.  

"This is exactly how a faith-based movie plays."

It says so right in the article you quoted.

Edited by MightGuy
  • Like 2

The chart with Saturday AM estimate:

1.) Insidous: The Red Door (Sony/Blum) 3,188 theaters Fri $15.22M, 3-day $31M/Wk 1

2.) Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Dis) 4,600 theaters, Fri $7.6M (-68%) 3-day $25M-$28M (-54% to -58%)/Total $119.7M-$122.7M/Wk 2

3.) Sound of Freedom (Angel) 2,850 theaters, Fri $4.9M, 3-day $15.2M, Total $37.2M/Wk 1

4.) Elemental (Dis) 3,440 (-210) theaters, Fri $2.9M (-18%) 3-day $9.45M (-22%), Total $109M/Wk 4

5.) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sony) 3,023 (-382) theaters, Fri $2.3M (-32%) 3-day $7.7M (-36%) Total $357.3M /Wk 6

6.) Joy Ride (LG) 2,820 theaters, Fri $2.6M 3-day $5.7M-$6M/Wk 1

7.) No Hard Feelings (Sony) 2,686 (-522) theaters, Fri $1.6M (-27%) 3-day $5.1M (-35%), Total $40.3M /Wk 3

8.) Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Par) 2,475 (-377) theaters, Fri $1.38M (-27%) 3-day $4.77M (-35%) Total $146.4M/Wk 5

9.) The Little Mermaid (Dis) 2,080 (-350) theaters, Fri $1.1M (-29%) 3-day $3.3M (-38%) Total $289.1M Wk 7

10.) Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken (Uni/DWA) 3,408 (+*) theaters, Fri $850K (-64%), 3-day $2.8M (-49%)/Total $11.6M/ Wk 2

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-insidious-the-red-door-indiana-jones-1235431682/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LegionGPT said:

Elemental/Flash

OW 0.538x

2nd 1.218x

3rd 2.316x

4th 4.558x

5th 8.721x

FWIW if my 5th weekend ests pencil out, the ratios will be very nearly 16.0x what it was on OW — Elemental has been holding basically 2x as well as Flash every weekend so far.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2

One thing I noticed is films before could make 150 domestic then make 300-500 million overseas.

That dont happen anymore 

Like think pre covid a film like indiana jones or transformers would have still done 300 -400 overeas even with a low domestic gross. 

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

One thing I noticed is films before could make 150 domestic then make 300-500 million overseas.

That dont happen anymore 

Like think pre covid a film like indiana jones or transformers would have still done 300 -400 overeas even with a low domestic gross. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt5433140/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, MightGuy said:

"This is exactly how a faith-based movie plays."

It says so right in the article you quoted.

Nothing in the trailer nor review indicate SoF is a faith-based movie. It is straight out an action movie, only to have its marketing tactic heavily targeting church-going crowd.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Man Ruby Gillman was just flat out rejected

Don’t name an unknown IP after some generic sounding name, esp when you’re targeting kids. That tells them nothing. Marketing seemed literally non-existent (seriously, did they run out of money)? Reviews were about as “mid” DWA as it gets. Isn’t surprising at all. 

Can’t believe we’re having yet another weekend in peak summer where 30m for anything is a challenge, and even 20 is hard. What an absolute disaster of a summer overall. Thank goodness I really do think it’s looking very very up with these next two weekend releases or this would certainly go down as the worst summer for blockbusters of all time, not counting covid. 

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Don’t name an unknown IP after some generic sounding name, esp when you’re targeting kids. That tells them nothing. Marketing seemed literally non-existent (seriously, did they run out of money)? Reviews were about as “mid” DWA as it gets. Isn’t surprising at all. 

An actual fourteen year old did a better job at marketing this movie online than Comcast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

INSIDIOUS: THE RED DOOR (2023)C+

Lowest in the series, which was enjoying a string of B/B+'s prior to this (which is good for horror, they never get above a B+). This thing is going drop like a rock next weekend.

11 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Lowest in the series, which was enjoying a string of B/B+'s prior to this (which is good for horror, they never get above a B+). This thing is going drop like a rock next weekend.

When I got out I was thinking it was the 4th best. But now that I have had a few hours to think about it, I think it is even less entertaining than The Last Key. It is a really bad movie.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

When I got out I was thinking it was the 4th best. But now that I have had a few hours to think about it, I think it is even less entertaining than The Last Key. It is a really bad movie.

Really missing the presence of Lin Shaye, I would imagine. The Last Key wasn't great but she was great in it.

• Astonished 1