baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

We haven't seen actual reviews for Barbie yet, most of current reactions are from influencers and not actual critics. You do realize Barbie is not fresh or original, right? It's literally a silly toy commercial, we already have plenty of them, it's the same IP stuff.

And you think Mission: Impossible *check notes* 7, Part 1 is what, exactly? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Souther said:

@across the Jat verseThere is no stardom left in Hollywood now. How does it work in India? I heard that the biggest star in India, Shahrukh Khan, broke box office records with his film that released in January. That guy also belongs to the generation of Tom Cruise. How has he managed to keep his stardom intact? How did he manage to entice the younger audience into cinemas for his film? 

If a SUPERSTAR made Mission Impossible, it would be close to if not opening weekend record.

Dont think anyone in Hollywood managed that. India love its stars.

Edited by across the Jat verse

18 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

No, Shia Wigham is awesome and they provided some of the funniest moments in the film.

Only liked one scene the one with kiteridge in the train and the first instance at the airport.

Otherwise they were solely in this film for comedic relief and really didn't land for me. Couldn't really take any action scene with them seriously.

The humour btn tom and Hayley was great . 

Fallout and ghost protocol have really good scenes of humour and it's all character driven .

Have no problem with comedic relief characters but they don't work for every movie.

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s… a take, I guess. Hating on Barbie because the films that you are anticipating might not perform as well as you are hoping for it’s not a good look. 

Yeah, actually good film with close to exceptional craft in a very consistent franchise from one of the most reliable stars in the world right after his career high. Something like Barbie destroying Cruise and Nolan because of memes and tik tok would be embarrassing. That's why I'm saying to not complain about Hollywood doing what they do or throw silly excuses about prices, you get what you pay for, audiences very much decide what studios do.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Yeah, actually good film in a very consistent franchise from one of the most reliable stars in the world right after his career high. Something like Barbie destroying Cruise and Nolan because of memes and tik tok would be embarrassing. That's why I'm saying to not complain about Hollywood doing what they do or throw silly excuses about prices, you get what you pay for, audiences very much decide what studios do.

You're being ridiculous. Hating on other movies won't stop making MI a flop.

6 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

If a SUPERSTAR made Mission Impossible, it would be close to if not opening weekend record.

Dont think anyone in Hollywood managed that. India love its stars.

Thats what my question is. How has a megastar like Shahrukh managed to keep his stardom intact? Are there any lessons that our American movie stars can learn from him? 

8 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Yeah, actually good film in a very consistent franchise from one of the most reliable stars in the world right after his career high. Something like Barbie destroying Cruise and Nolan because of memes and tik tok would be embarrassing. That's why I'm saying to not complain about Hollywood doing what they do or throw silly excuses about prices, you get what you pay for, audiences very much decide what studios do.

LMAO. Okay, buddy. You are just mad because the IP you like might not make as much money as the IP you have no interest of, to the point of childishly hating on it. Barbie isn’t winning "because of memes and Tik Tok". Memes and tik tok will one day go away.

If Mattel play their cards right, and they certainly have been playing for god knows how much decades since when since I never owned a Barbie - little known fact, I wanted a Barbie that came with her gym one when I was a kid to play with my Spider-Man toys, true story. Shame I never got that - Barbie’s importance to kids across the globe will keep being perennial, either as a doll or something entirely different. That’s why Barbie is popular, because of the attachment and nostalgia, not the actual memes and Tik Tok. Those are just part of the fun and vehicles to beat the IP’s drum and hype up the film. It could be MySpace. It could be literally anything else.

Edited by ZattMurdock

Just now, Souther said:

Thats what my question is. How has a megastar like Shahrukh managed to keep his stardom intact? Are there any lessons that our American movie stars can learn from him? 

Yeah, the same Shahrukh who had so many underperformers and outright bombs from 2015-2018 that he had to take a break for 4 years should teach others on how to deliver consistent hits

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

You're being ridiculous. Hating on other movies won't stop making MI a flop.

You are being very critical of Cruise and MI just because you want him to do more drama films now. I am sure you will be the first in line to make fun of him if he does a film like Eyes Wide Shut or Magnolia in this day and age and the audience don't show up for them. 

Barbie is very clearly a product of Gerwig and Baumbach way more than it is a studio beast, crying about it doing strong numbers just because a film you wanted to do better isn't is ridiculous, and yes, in current hollywood landscape it is most certainly a fresh take even if still within an existing ip

oppenheimer is posting very good numbers too as a result of the crosspromotion and will do plenty well for what it is

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Yeah, the same Shahrukh who had so many underperformers and outright bombs from 2015-2018 that he had to take a break for 4 years should teach others on how to deliver consistent hits

Jawaan and Dunki are going to be record openers and grossers. This would make three blockbusters in a single year. Yes, a lot of superstars can learn from him, correct @across the Jat verse

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

And? It was mostly hating on today's audiences, not Barbie in particular.

I mean, I love Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. That bombed at the box office and now they are making an anime with the whole OG cast playing their characters, including Brie Larson and Chris Evans. I assure you, you will be fine. Hope that helps.

deadpool-im-so-proud-of-you.gif

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Barbie is very clearly a product of Gerwig and Baumbach way more than it is a studio beast, crying about it doing strong numbers just because a film you wanted to do better isn't is ridiculous, and yes, in current hollywood landscape it is most certainly a fresh take even if still within an existing ip

oppenheimer is posting very good numbers too as a result of the crosspromotion and will do plenty well for what it is

Let's not pretend Barbie is some art film, it looks exactly like Barbie movie studio would want and oddly similar to Batman & Robin, also very silly, campy and toyish. Maybe Batman & Robin is a fresh take for you, idk.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean, I love Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. That bombed at the box office and now they are making an anime with the whole OG cast playing their characters, including Brie Larson and Chris Evans. I assure you, you will be fine. Hope that helps.

deadpool-im-so-proud-of-you.gif

It's just sad to see last movie star fail with something very consistent in the past. If Oppenheimer is successful, not everything is lost.

Edited by TomThomas

22 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

If Mission bombs and Oppenheimer underperforms, but Barbie does something like 180 mln opening weekend in US alone, audiences have zero right to complain about Hollywood making garbage or use high ticket price excuse to ignore good stuff, you get exactly what you pay for, it's as simple as that.

How so?

Some people (me) are not okay with Tom Cruise and his treatment of his daughter. Also, some people (me) are not interested in 10.000 sequels.
Lastly, some people (me) have to be in a good headspace to watch a nauseating film about humans wiping out whole cities of innocents. 

That doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate quality films.

I don’t care for Barbie and I’m not going to watch it on the big screen, but good for WB for finally getting a hit. It means they’ll have more money to make films I do care for. *shrugs*

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

One of the greatest action series in cinema history is going to get smashed by a Barbie Commercial next week. I’m going to blame TikTok, Twitter, Seed Oils, Red 40, MSG, and High Fructose Corn Syrup on this one.

I will not hear a bad word about MSG, it is King of Flavour haiyaa

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1