CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just in terms of pure quality, MI7 >>>>>>>> JW4

I don't think there is that much disparity in the quality of the two films although I do think MI7 is the better film. Those two, along with Air nudged in between them, are easily my Top 3 films of the year so far with a noticeable gap between them and my #4. Granted I have not seen ATSV or Elemental yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Souther said:

Is Tom Cruise's career finished now? MI series will be over after DR:2, since Paramount would lose or make a meager profit once part 2 releases. His non franchise films have all flopped in the last 17 years and apart from Top Gun, there is no other film in his resume that he could make a franchise on. I think he is going to do another Top Gun film in the next 3-4 years and that will be his only successful film. His space film with Doug Liman would be really expensive to make (the budget is 200 M+ and the box office grosses might not be 400 M WW) and Universal might shelve it after the underperformance of Mission Impossible 7. The only option I think Cruise has is take those fat cheques from streaming services and do what Adam Sandler is doing, i.e make streaming films. 

All of his leading films (except Edge of Tomorrow & The Mummy) since 2006 have covered their budgets from theatrical alone. His last non-MI/Top Gun film American Made did $135M on a $50M budget (2.7× budget) with barely no good promotional costs because Cruise had a fractured ankle so he couldn't do any global tour or red carpet promotions. Also to be noted, most of his films do well in post-theatrical revenues too such Jack Reacher and Knight and Day were successful ventures during their ancillary revenues.

So only 2 leading theatrical flops in last 16 years for a Global Megastar who's been a box office draw for 4 fucking decades. 

He is Tom Cruise, he won't do streaming films and don't you say his career is over since universal was so ready to launch a $200M space film with him without a completed a script. That project will be unique and might become successful too.

Also he has a R Rated action thriller film in his bucket after the space project which has a franchise potential. 

He'll come to answer everything with MI: DR2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Miller said:

All of his leading films (except Edge of Tomorrow & The Mummy) since 2006 have covered their budgets from theatrical alone. His last non-MI/Top Gun film American Made did $135M on a $50M budget (2.7× budget) with barely no good promotional costs because Cruise had a fractured ankle so he couldn't do any global tour or red carpet promotions. Also to be noted, most of his films do well in post-theatrical revenues too such Jack Reacher and Knight and Day were successful ventures during their ancillary revenues.

So only 2 leading theatrical flops in last 16 years for a Global Megastar who's been a box office draw for 4 fucking decades. 

He is Tom Cruise, he won't do streaming films and don't you say his career is over since universal was so ready to launch a $200M space film with him without a completed a script. That project will be unique and might become successful too.

Also he has a R Rated action thriller film in his bucket after the space project which has a franchise potential. 

He'll come to answer everything with MI: DR2

The only movie star in present day Hollywood who’s known for epic comebacks is him. DR2 is gonna blow everyone’s socks off. Mcquarrie says it blows DR1 out of the water. 
The marketing has to be right for it. Start it early, sustain it and build it up to a crescendo closer to release

2 hours ago, Souther said:

Is Tom Cruise's career finished now? MI series will be over after DR:2, since Paramount would lose or make a meager profit once part 2 releases. His non franchise films have all flopped in the last 17 years and apart from Top Gun, there is no other film in his resume that he could make a franchise on. I think he is going to do another Top Gun film in the next 3-4 years and that will be his only successful film. His space film with Doug Liman would be really expensive to make (the budget is 200 M+ and the box office grosses might not be 400 M WW) and Universal might shelve it after the underperformance of Mission Impossible 7. The only option I think Cruise has is take those fat cheques from streaming services and do what Adam Sandler is doing, i.e make streaming films. 

Your analysis is pertinent, but the end game is not. His career is not finished, but he'll have to do smaller movies to recover. You can't kill off a 40 years old career because of some flops.  And ffs no Top Gun 3. That'd be such a terrible idea.

He also needs quality control. What possessed him to do The Mummy i'll never know.

Edited by Maggie

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

He also needs quality control. What possessed him to do The Mummy i'll never know.

It was a paycheck movie that Tom took complete control over cause Alex Kurtzman was brand new to directing and basically was flying blind. He even brought McQuarrie to touch up the script and make it more of a "Tom Cruise" movie.

Also he's been on good terms with Kurtzman for a while, he's a fan of Kurtzman, Abrams, and Orci's work in general and Kurtzman worked on MI3.

2 minutes ago, Rainy said:

Will be interesting if DR2 opens any different to this. They probably won’t go for the 5 day opening again I feel…

At the very least it has less competition so I think it will play stronger then this if reviews are around the same level (which they probably will be). That is, if it keeps it's current date.

8 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It was a paycheck movie that Tom took complete control over cause Alex Kurtzman was brand new to directing and basically was flying blind. He even brought McQuarrie to touch up the script and make it more of a "Tom Cruise" movie.

Also he's been on good terms with Kurtzman for a while, he's a fan of Kurtzman, Abrams, and Orci's work in general and Kurtzman worked on MI3.

That's all cool, but the idea of doing a Mummy movie was bad from the beginning. I don't care who was directing it, you're Tom Cruise, you're not doing Brendan Fraser rejects. (at least before Brendan won the Oscar. The Mummy was something cool when Brendan was doing it while young, not Cruise in his 50s).

As i've said he needs to do smaller movie where he plays normal people, no more action adventure stuff, but maybe he's not getting offers, who knows what's happening behind the scenes and he's *forced* to do all these action movies. But produce if you're not getting offers

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

That's all cool, but the idea of doing a Mummy movie was bad from the beginning. I don't care who was directing it, you're Tom Cruise, you're not doing Brendan Fraser rejects. (at least before Brendan won the Oscar. The Mummy was something cool when Brendan was doing it while young, not Cruise in his 50s).

As i've said he needs to do smaller movie where he plays normal people, no more action adventure stuff, but maybe he's not getting offers, who knows what's happening behind the scenes and he's *forced* to do all these action movies. But produce if you're not getting offers

I want the musical and space movie first. 

30 minutes ago, Algebra said:

The only movie star in present day Hollywood who’s known for epic comebacks is him. DR2 is gonna blow everyone’s socks off. Mcquarrie says it blows DR1 out of the water. 
The marketing has to be right for it. Start it early, sustain it and build it up to a crescendo closer to release

Surely paramount will learn some lessons from DR1. DR2 isn't coming until 2025 anyway so they'll have time to adjust everything. 

Need same tactics like Fallout. That one had everything going for it.

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

I have nothing to add. Truly depressing. I don’t know what people are even doing anymore.  One of the best blockbusters in years and that’s its Friday?? 

At the very least in several international markets there does seem to be bump up from Fallout. Maybe it's literally just the domestic end, though frankly it's far too early to tell on that note.