CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t understand this. I legitimately do not understand this. You have several good reasons to give Tom Cruise hell. But no one, and I say absolutely no one can criticize him for not being a trooper when it comes to keeping people working in a safe environment during COVID. And guess what? Same can be said about the Indiana Jones and Dial of Destiny production.

I know we all have the attention span of goldfishes these days, but the pandemic happened, millions and millions of people died and these productions kept soldiering on through one of the most scary times that we’ve ever faced. I see people caring about this film and wishing it could do more and then I see the treatment that DoD got and it pisses me off. Ford deserved better, yes. Cruise deserved better, yes. It is what it is, but I’m pretty sure that unlike The Flash, both these films will end up making their money back, even if it isn’t through box office receipts alone.

Honestly, I'm surprised you are fine with that, since you don't want studios to reduce budgets.

It's good for studios that they could make a profit. However, this big budget movies not making their money back through box office would likely make them reconsider their budgets.

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This and Cruise. Old men flopping hard. Luckily Oppenheimer is played by a relatively young guy

Lel Cruise went from savior of the boxoffice to flop because of his age in a span of just 1 year. What is the truth? :hahaha:

Joking aside, DR should have done better given pretty much everything - MI's quality, rave reviews for this installment, strong WOM among the interested, Cruise's TGM clout. Yet it isn't so because SoF hit it harder than expected and maybe some other reasons that are yet to be determined. 

• Like 1

Tom Cruise being 60 years old wasn’t a problem last year year, why suddenly being 61 is a big deal?

Some of you are really stretching this insane takes at this point. The movie is doing quite poorly for a combo of factual reasons.

COVID skyrocketed the budget, marketing has been bad in making this looks fresh, it’s releasing in the verge of a cultural phenomenon and it’s a nearly 30 year old franchise that clearly already reached it’s limit like many others old IP’s and likely suffered a bit from being a Part 1. 

That’s it, the movie is still having absolutely phenomenal reception by audiences so Tom Cruise will argue with Paramount that he delivered a fantastic experience and they’re the ones who drop the ball with the marketing and the release date which is true and move on because no one can win with subjective arguments.

Part 2 won’t be cancelled or altered because Cruise is too much of a big fish and have control enough about this, he certainly won’t disappear from big movies, the MI franchise isn’t dead and very likely will do much better next time with likely lower budget + better date + not being a cliffhanger. 

Sure it’s a disappointing performance which obviously will bring a lot of discussions about what happened but it’s being kinda weird reading so much extreme takes about it.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 8

Just now, Valonqar said:

Lel Cruise went from savior of the boxoffice to flop because of his age in a span of just 1 year. What is the truth? :hahaha:

Joking aside, DR should have done better given pretty much everything - MI's quality, rave reviews for this installment, strong WOM among the interested, Cruise's TGM clout. Yet it isn't so because SoF hit it harder than expected and maybe some other reasons that are yet to be determined. 

Eh. The Mission movies even with raves have always had a fixed total, won’t surprise me if Dead Reckoning 2 is just above the usual mold at like 260m-ish. The idea which I too thought was a thing, was for a TGM bump to help push it to a stronger total like Avengers and Iron Man, but a key difference is that Maverick and Ethan Hunt are two different characters in two different universes, which may have limited crossover. Still think DR PO can leg it out to 200m even with a mid 50s fall from Barbieheimer, and do enough overseas to make profit.

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

God this movie sucked. Ppl really like to support garbage, my god. 

Yea well that's like just you're opinion, man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

in 2018 Fallout beat Ant Man 2 domestic but now Ant Man 3 is beating MI. Domestic audiences abandoning non superhero/meme movies 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

in 2018 Fallout beat Ant Man 2 domestic but now Ant Man 3 is beating MI. Domestic audiences abandoning non superhero/meme movies 

Thank god for worldwide box office. 

Edited by WorkingonaName

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I'm surprised you are fine with that, since you don't want studios to reduce budgets.

It's good for studios that they could make a profit. However, this big budget movies not making their money back through box office would likely make them reconsider their budgets.

What you don’t understand is that reducing budgets for films like Indy and MI, simply not casting a big star isn’t good enough.

What you guys want, meaning, more conscious budgets means two things: less stars like you wanted, sure. But also less on locations films. Do you know who wins in a scenario like this, ironically? Netflix and the films that are trashed by Rotten Tomatoes as expendable trash, like The Gray Man and Red Notice. That’s where the genre of "not strong enough brand to carry big box office grosses" is going. 

What you will end up getting is a lot of films filmed in Atlanta or London using Volume. And this who is saying is a big consumer of films and series made in Atlanta and that uses a lot of Volume.

I'm happy to see Elemental is having Elle McPherson-esque legs. It's unfortunate that it can't get the type of run it would have gotten 5-10 years ago but hopefully it's a start that turns around the sentiments of the audience to see more Pixar/Disney animated stuff in theaters again. Cheers to a strong Elio and Wish!

MI:7....what can you say. The presale tracking bore out that this wouldn't be overly strong but a lot of people held out hope for some kind of backload that isn't materializing. Best case scenario at this point is probably $180M DOM, but more likely is $140-160M. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Tom Cruise Fatigue. I cannot wait for the clickbait articles, thank Xanu. They are coming, right?