CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

Just now, M37 said:

Also original GOTG

(But it’s better to use Opening week as baseline for multi rather OW)

He's talking about sequels not original films

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Someone explain to me why Asteroid City is doing worse than French Dispatch internationally right now

Maybe some Anderson fatigue? Unusual for him to release so close together, maybe AC didn’t feel unique coming so soon after another of his. And FD wasn’t exactly beloved by Wes fans, so there’s that. 

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Jennifer Lawrence has literally pretty much exclusively done "quality" films with good directors.

Jlaw got very rich with the Hunger Game movies; and she never had to do a paycheck movie again.

I honestly think her wanting to do a comedy for a change was why she did her most recent movie. of course she got the best deal she could for it, but it's not like she needed the money.

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I don't get The Rock hate. It's not like he's offered serious dramas.  His appearance prohibits him from doing Oscar movies. The man does what he can.

I don't get that rant against him , but I still maintain he is not that reliable as a box office draw.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't get that rant against him , but I still maintain he is not that reliable as a box office draw.

Agreed 💯💯

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

apart from Jungle Cruise didn't all his solo films made around 400? not bad & pretty consistent.

The Rock comes off both gracious and generous to his fans and team and like a total detached egomaniac in a lot of his social media and public appearances, so it’s always been hard to get a sense of what’s he’s like. If you told me he unequivocally believes he is the most handsome, most talented, hardest working person in all of entertainment, that would definitely check out to me. Interesting about Baumer’s story. I’d also be interested in seeing his demeanor if he was ever really down and out, because by and large he’s always gotten massive rewards and everything he wants in his career. 

• Like 1

Isn't this happening with every franchise? Avatar, MCU, DCEU, Fast series, Transformers, James Bond all saw decreases post-Pandemic. I'm sure even Star Wars will see a substantial decrease in ticket sales whenever it comes out. 

Only franchise I can think of that saw an increase was Spider-Man (For NWH and ATSV) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

How is that a bad precedent if it’s released on an incredibly similar window to Guardians, Vol. 2 back in 2017?

https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/7053/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2#:~:text=Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 DVD and Blu-ray,iTunes on August 8%2C 2017.

Charging people to purchase it is different than dropping on streaming for free.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Rock comes off both gracious and generous to his fans and team and like a total detached egomaniac in a lot of his social media and public appearances, so it’s always been hard to get a sense of what’s he’s like. If you told me he unequivocally believes he is the most handsome, most talented, hardest working person in all of entertainment, that would definitely check out to me. Interesting about Baumer’s story. I’d also be interested in seeing his demeanor if he was ever really down and out, because by and large he’s always gotten massive rewards and everything he wants in his career. 

He has told the story quite often actually where after he was a bit of a star for the university of Miami in college football, he was disappointed that he did not get drafted into the NFL and ended up playing I think for a season or something with the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian football league. He got released halfway through the season and his funny line about that whole thing was him saying something like do you know how much you have to suck to get cut from the Canadian football league? 

And that was the door closing that made him follow in his dad's footsteps to get into the wwf. So he has been down, maybe not like the rest of us who get truly down but at least early in his career he definitely had his share of peaks and valleys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

He has told the story quite often actually where after he was a bit of a star for the university of Miami in college football, he was disappointed that he did not get drafted into the NFL and ended up playing I think for a season or something with the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian football league. He got released halfway through the season and his funny line about that whole thing was him saying something like do you know how much you have to suck to get cut from the Canadian football league? 

And that was the door closing that made him follow in his dad's footsteps to get into the wwf. So he has been down, maybe not like the rest of us who get truly down but at least early in his career he definitely had his share of peaks and valleys.

I feel like overall he seems like a nice person, just an inflated ego maybe. He is used to being at the top in multiple entertainment industries now. He left wrestling before his huge star ever really faded and here we are with him still getting 50 mil for movies, so his movie star hasn’t faded either. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Nobody is these days. I'm not gonna hold it against him. Black Adam did ok

I don't consider just breaking even on that huge a budget OK. May have actually lost money since the final budget figures go between 200 and 250 Million. If it was a sucess, it was a Pyrrhic one. Another couple such sucesses, DC studios are finished.

12 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Isn't this happening with every franchise? Avatar, MCU, DCEU, Fast series, Transformers, James Bond all saw decreases post-Pandemic. I'm sure even Star Wars will see a substantial decrease in ticket sales whenever it comes out. 

Only franchise I can think of that saw an increase was Spider-Man (For NWH and ATSV) 

It’s just ERC being a jerk as usual. Ragging on anything. Cannot stand the way he is. It’s basically a troll account tbh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I feel like overall he seems like a nice person, just an inflated ego maybe. He is used to being at the top in multiple entertainment industries now. He left wrestling before his huge star ever really faded and here we are with him still getting 50 mil for movies, so his movie star hasn’t faded either. 

And a lot of us are saying 50 million is ridiculous. Problem is he is hit and miss when it comes to box office, some films starring him you could not give away, He needs the right film; he is not a guaranteed draw.

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think hr would admitt he failed a pro football player.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't consider just breaking even on that huge a budget OK. May have actually lost money since the final budget figures go between 200 and 250 Million. If it was a sucess, it was a Pyrrhic one. Another couple such sucesses, DC studios are finished.

Probably the worst thing with the BA situation is The Rock did a whole stint on social where he played imaginary accountant and threw out “facts” that turned out to simply be untrue for how BA was actually profitable. Again, goes back to the ego thing I’m talking about. 

Edited by MovieMan89