CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

37 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't get The Rock hate. It's not like he's offered serious dramas.  His appearance prohibits him from doing Oscar movies. The man does what he can.

No one expects him to do oscar bait or arthouse, but his populist movies used to be much better and he used to give a shit in them. Last few years he just had the Jumanji sequel and Jungle Cruise that were passable and he is on autopilot and the trio from hell (Hobbs&Shaw-Red Notice-Black Adam). 

• Like 1

Not to mention the man doesn’t just wake up that way, no doubt. He has insane training routines for likely all of these roles he takes. If he was doing something that didn’t require that, he wouldn’t have to do those routines and he’d likely look much closer to “normal” in said movie rather than Mr Olympia or whatever.

41 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Isn't this happening with every franchise? Avatar, MCU, DCEU, Fast series, Transformers, James Bond all saw decreases post-Pandemic. I'm sure even Star Wars will see a substantial decrease in ticket sales whenever it comes out. 

Only franchise I can think of that saw an increase was Spider-Man (For NWH and ATSV) 

To be fair NTTD shouldn’t be on that list. Too many circumstances linked to the real pandemic era, without mentioning years of burned marketing.

Having said that I see a lot of gloom over the franchise after Craig.

Edited by Mr Roark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Huh? The Rock is a draw. Why do you think something like Black Adam didn’t completely flatline like The Flash and Shazam 2?

Well it was heavily promoted (mostly by the Rock himself) for years and years, so there’s that… it also had terrible legs after a poor OW, so I’m not sure how that’s not flatlining? Not to mention let’s move it to this year when peak superhero fatigue set in and see how it did. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Rock’s physique is not an excuse for why he can’t do non-action/dramatic roles. If he’s a good actor, he should be able to do them. 

I diagree,the Rock is actually good at comedy. Problem he has not found a relly good comic script yet.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Huh? The Rock is a draw. Why do you think something like Black Adam didn’t completely flatline like The Flash and Shazam 2?

Question is how much of a draw. Clearly you don't want to spend 200 million on a film with no real attraction other then The Rock.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well it was heavily promoted (mostly by the Rock himself) for years and years, so there’s that… it also had terrible legs after a poor OW, so I’m not sure how that’s not flatlining? Not to mention let’s move it to this year when peak superhero fatigue set in and see how it did. 

Black Adam is a completely unknown character and was coming out when people are souring on DC films. If it had a China release it would be well over 400m total 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Black Adam had the same opening week/domestic total multiplier as The Little Mermaid, would you say that had terrible legs?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Someone explain to me why Asteroid City is doing worse than French Dispatch internationally right now

Does not surprise me that the subject matter of TFD would have more appeal abroad. Wonder if it has anything to do with release date as well.

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I told you 9M would happen.

Forgot to do this earlier, but if this follows the rest of Inside Out's run: 146.3M

Follows Finding Nemo: 168.1M

But honestly, who knows if either of these two are applicable? This thing's going by its own drum tbh.

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I really hope Theater Camp doesn't get lost in the Barbenheimer shuffle. This has the potential to be a strong sleeper, out of nowhere success story and I wish we had some of those in the specialty market again.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Tbh, not really impressed with the hold after start out a promising limited and wide opening. The 2nd weekend hold of wide expansion was very bad, way worse than French Dispatch (-32%) and Isle of Dogs(-37%). With mega-opener coming next week, $30m dream is gone. I haven't seen the movie but 62% verified audience RT score probably means something for WOM. 

If you've seen the movie, you'd understand. Anderson's movies have traditional story structures, but this movie is framed under a metatextual framing device that makes things a lot more convoluted and inaccessible. I liked those aspects, but people who want a Grand Budapest Hotel will be disappointed whenever they cut to the black and white segments.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Black Adam had the same opening week/domestic total multiplier as The Little Mermaid, would you say that had terrible legs?

That’s a terrible comparison with a movie that opened on a holiday in the summer when kids were out.  2.4x with a low CBM OW we are now considering not falling off? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about Asteroid City or Wes Anderson. Indian Paintbrush finances his films and then they're sold to a distributor so I would guess that the film is in the black before it is even released and Focus' costs are M&A and even if it doesn't break even from the theatrical run, it'll make it back from other revenue sources.