CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

too good , and higher than Fallout ,Paramount is messing with the numbers

I think that is a guess on his part I don't think he was reporting anything he heard or knows. I would love for it to be close though. 

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, Barbie has not been very relevant as a product since maybeee the 00s, probably the 90s. Hence why I think so many thought the movie wouldn’t do anything. Even I would have never predicted it if I wasn’t paying such close attention to what was happening on social media from that very first promo image of Margot in the car released. 

Barbie sells $1.5B worth of dolls every year lol. I was on the same page as you until I checked it out

• Like 5

Yeah I was cranky yesterday about its 'underperformance'.

But after watching the film yesterday, this is nowhere near as action intense and great as GP, RN, Fallout or JW4. Felt like a departure from those and more like MI-1.

And as such for it to be doing China-adjusted Fallout numbers WW at a time when every other long running franchise is seeing massive dips from their predecessors is pretty solid

That is a very good point in the Deadline article that had it opened on a Friday it could have done the 78m 3-day OW which would have considered good. The 5-day makes it worse. The red states that usually come out for Cruise movies are watching SoF, so that's why the fall off the 90m projected opening. We'll see what shape DR really is compared to FALLOUT during the week. The extra 2-day gain will evaporate over Barbenheimer opening week (losing PLF will hurt), the second weekend drop will be much higher, the real intrigue comes from week 3 onwards. I wouldn't bury the film in US just yet. Overseas it's doing good apart from China which put Hollywood in the rearviewmirror. 

Edited by The Dark Alfred

2 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I'm def not expecting that $21m+ prediction to pan out, but damn that would be a good number, arguably the first good number in its run

It would be excellent. Probably partly WOM getting around as well, considering male/female ratio became more even on Friday. Word does get around after all.

Still not gonna make judgments since it's too early to call but hoping for the best.

2 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Yeah I was cranky yesterday about its 'underperformance'.

But after watching the film yesterday, this is nowhere near as action intense and great as GP, RN, Fallout or JW4. Felt like a departure from those and more like MI-1.

And as such for it to be doing China-adjusted Fallout numbers WW at a time when every other long running franchise is seeing massive dips from their predecessors is pretty solid

And that did not bother me at all.  I loved how much of a De Plama homage it was,. Did not need Fallout 2. That movie is in it's own world of perfection. And the previous movies and JW 4 were their own thing.