CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Here is what some of you don’t seem to understand: Disney actually doesn’t want the PVOD money as much as the Disney+ subscription. Did you know that I literally cannot buy any Marvel Studios or Star Wars film in digital since Avengers: Endgame came out? And it’s not because I don’t have the money, Disney simply won’t allow the option of buying individual films of them here in Brazil. They want us focused on D+, but open tv still makes massive deals with Disney and all their studios for the right to screen their films:

Avengers: Endgame will be screened the first time in open tv today here in Brazil, no cuts other than the credits. It’s the biggest tv station here and one of the biggest worldwide. You bet that this wasn’t cheap and Disney keeps getting money for these franchises. They don’t go to die once they are out of the theaters.

I can buy all the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movies digitally if I want. I bought them physically for decades. But now they don’t want me to spend the money as they will rush them on to their service my entire family pay less than £100 a year for, spread across three different households. 

We now pay substantially less money than we did for their movies. And I’m talking staggering amounts. All to rush things that don’t need rushing on there in literally weeks as they won’t lose any subs by waiting. 

Who is unsubscribing from Disney+ if Guardians doesn’t debut until Thanksgiving? Nobody. They had months of potential PVOD/physical revenue to capitalise on and they just don’t. For a company that have always been the masters of milking every last dime out of people, they’ve jumped the proverbial shark several times over in my eyes. 

• Like 5

Just now, wildphantom said:

I can buy all the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movies digitally if I want. I bought them physically for decades. But now they don’t want me to spend the money as they will rush them on to their service my entire family pay less than £100 a year for, spread across three different households. 

We now pay substantially less money than we did for their movies. And I’m talking staggering amounts. All to rush things that don’t need rushing on there in literally weeks as they won’t lose any subs by waiting. 

Who is unsubscribing from Disney+ if Guardians doesn’t debut until Thanksgiving? Nobody. They had months of potential PVOD/physical revenue to capitalise on and they just don’t. For a company that have always been the masters of milking every last dime out of people, they’ve jumped the proverbial shark several times over in my eyes. 

I don’t understand their math here either. I would happily pay for all my Marvel and Star Wars content, hell I bought Spider-Man: No Way Home four times, between the regular and the extended cuts of that film. Hell, I gave money even to Black Adam and own it on digital lol.

But I do think they have some logic there, both for rushing to streaming and also not allowing me to buy their stuff individually. Me as a longtime Disney+ subscriber might be more valuable than me individually buying their films, I don’t know.

• Like 1

Best case scenario I see for DR PT1 is:

• a 15% increase from Mi6 OS-C for a $440M finish
  • $60M China gross
  • $220M DOM finish (which would be a 2.8x multi of the 5 day weekend) 

$720M Finish. Not sure how this gets close to $750M, unless I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Isn’t it funny that nearly all the best looking blockbusters of 2023 are the cheapest ones?

John Wick, D&D, Barbie, Oppenheimer, The Creator all in north of 100M 

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Spider-Man: Across the Universe look amazing as well and cost a lot more. Very intrigued by The Creator, actually more than Dune 2, but I couldn’t care less about D&D for example. I was never a tabletop RPG fan, more of a Final Fantasy RPG fan, so despite the good WOM I kinda shrug at it.

30 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Vincent D’Onofrio has waived in:

It’s very much from an actor standpoint, but I’d also argue that regardless how romanticized his view as an actor might be, thinking these films will just drop dead and not make any profit to Disney once it leaves the theaters is incredibly myopic. 

Films like Indy and MI7 even when they disappoint at the box office, still find a way to become profitable in the long run. From PVOD to TV film rights, never mind that it goes to their streaming platform’s portfolio.

an A cinemascore 650M+ film has nothing in common with a B+ 350M film

this narrative will never ever stick no matter how many times you try to put the films in the same boat

I've made a bunch of fun of it this thread but please just stop it, the desperation level is getting too much. for your sake, you need to just accept this film tanked and move on.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t understand their math here either. I would happily pay for all my Marvel and Star Wars content, hell I bought Spider-Man: No Way Home four times, between the regular and the extended cuts of that film. Hell, I gave money even to Black Adam and own it on digital lol.

But I do think they have some logic there, both for rushing to streaming and also not allowing me to buy their stuff individually. Me as a longtime Disney+ subscriber might be more valuable than me individually buying their films, I don’t know.

you’re not going to unsub though. You’re likely there for the shows and the back catalogue. But mainly the shows. 

I am a huge fan and consumer of so much of their product.  There’s millions like me. Take Star Wars fans for instance, of which I’m a huge one.  They don’t even put out shows like Mando on physical with all sorts of limited edition shit that I and tons of others would drop tons of money down for.  It’s insane!!

If they charged twice as much for Disney+ and locked down multiple households using it then maybe it would make financial sense to me. Trouble is they’ve started off so cheap that they’ll lose countless people if they do that. 

Maybe they have to rush these films on there as they’re lacking when it comes to new shows as the inevitable cost cutting comes for content. I don’t know. One thing is for sure, they have created a huge mess for themselves and by my reckoning they are losing hundreds of millions per movie from what they were before the service. 

Anyways, I’ve gone about this to death for years now. We’ll see how it all shakes out. We can’t compare Disney windows revenue to what it once was anymore, whilst this service continues to debut borderline brand new films for free in 12 weeks. 

They could even charge for it on Disney+ for a period if they wanted to! Early access like what they tried before, but three months after theatrical. I mean, why not? Nothing to lose. Dollars to milk. It’s only a digital file! 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Spider-Man: Across the Universe look amazing as well and cost a lot more. Very intrigued by The Creator, actually more than Dune 2, but I couldn’t care less about D&D for example. I was never a tabletop RPG fan, more of a Final Fantasy RPG fan, so despite the good WOM I kinda shrug at it.

Didn’t Spidey cost 100M as well? I just forgot this one, but yeah it’s another example of cheaper and good looking. 

Yeah Guardians and MI are the sole super expensive movies of the year so far that aren’t visually messy or straight up ugly

I also didn’t care for the franchise or RPG nor i understand the lore but I had a very good time with the D&D movie, i find it very similar to that type of feel good blockbuster that was so common in the 00’s

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Guardians just announced for August 2 on Disney+. I mean, why even buy it when you’ve got it for free in four weeks. It’s so ridiculous. 

Is that really surprising with all the details from the strikes about how studios do literally everything in their power to avoid paying royalties?  

Edited by Deep Wang

30 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

not as much as they did when they’re on Disney+ four weeks after PVOD. 

Guardians just announced for August 2 on Disney+. I mean, why even buy it when you’ve got it for free in four weeks. It’s so ridiculous. 

Okay, I'll finally have something to watch on D+ again.  I am in Secret Invasion, but the 1st episode left me not enthusiastic to finish b/c of Nick Fury's post blip rep, and I'm like "where was that in his movie personality...ever"...

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

an A cinemascore 650M+ film has nothing in common with a B+ 350M film

this narrative will never ever stick no matter how many times you try to put the films in the same boat

I've made a bunch of fun of it this thread but please just stop it, the desperation level is getting too much

What is this $650m+ film consists of? Hopes and dreams? Because the last I checked MI7 didn’t make that. MI7 will struggle to make profit from its box office alone, and might not even be able to do that.

And guess what? It’s ok. No one releases a film north to $300m budget (ballooned by covid and all) without expecting a lot more than what Indy and MI7 are making. Both Disney and Paramount want more than what they are getting. Films like MI7 and Indy don’t die once they go out of the movie theaters. They aren’t little indies that could. I can guarantee you that they will be fine and eventually turn profit.

• Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Good for MI8, but we're discussing about MI7

When MI8 will release, we'll discuss about that too.

Considering they are connected and budgets might be overlapping between the two, I think we also need to have Part 2 in mind

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Didn’t Spidey cost 100M as well? I just forgot this one, but yeah it’s another example of cheaper and good looking. 

Yeah Guardians and MI are the sole super expensive movies of the year so far that aren’t visually messy or straight up ugly

I also didn’t care for the franchise or RPG nor i understand the lore but I had a very good time with the D&D movie, i find it very similar to that type of feel good blockbuster that was so common in the 00’s

Cheap and unfortunately not paying their creatives enough, yes. Maybe it’s a good thing that you forget about ATSV there because $100m for that film is bullshit. It’s the reason I don’t understand people complaining about Pixar’s 200m budget. It’s what ATSV should cost, at very least.

• Like 1

Interesting how inflation adjusted prices are only flouted for Box office results and not budgets.

If a movie makes 3x on its budget in 2006, it's the same ROI as a 3x in 2023.

Inflation adjusted MI2 is peak but ROI wise Fallout comes ahead globally

42 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

not as much as they did when they’re on Disney+ four weeks after PVOD. 

No offense, but don't you ever get tired of complaining about this? Disney's done this for years now and it's clear that's how they like doing this. I think it's time you just move on.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1