Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

The advantage Kingdom will have in it's second weekend for not taking a nasty drop over what War did is the movie that opened in it's second weekend. War had another 50 million opener which was Dunkirk and the audience cross over was high. Kingdom will have IF which does not look like a 50 million opener right now and is playing to a different audience. Of course we are living in different times and if people do not like Kingdom or hear the WOM is not good or mixed, It will not matter what the competition is.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

What was true Friday for Apes? And can someone confirm what Thursday without EA was? Need it for comps 

15.6M for True Friday. Thursday minus EA is 5M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

FURIOSA

Thursday 

T-13

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.9%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

T-13

(1.530x) of Civil War $4.45M

(0.940x) of Planet Apes $4.70M

(0.340x) of Dune 2 $3.16M

Comps average: $4.10M

Apes was $5M true Thursday right?? 

Anyways this continues to grow at an excellent rate.  

FLORIDA 

FURIOSA

Thursday 

T-12

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

2.0%

COMPS

T-12

(1.570x) of Civil War $4.55M

(0.347x) of Dune 2 $3.23M
(0.964x)
 of Planet Apes $4.82M

Comps average: $4.20M

Keeps climbing at a strong pace 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

FURIOSA

Thursday 

T-12

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

2.0%

COMPS

T-12

(1.570x) of Civil War $4.55M

(0.347x) of Dune 2 $3.23M
(0.964x)
 of Planet Apes $4.82M

Comps average: $4.20M

Keeps climbing at a strong pace 

50 m + 4 day possible? Hope it keeps up and it not just the cinephiles blowing their load early, The review embargo which happens on Wednesday I think after the Cannes screening should only help assuming the reviews are strong.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

50 m + 4 day possible? Hope it keeps up and it not just the cinephiles blowing their load early, The review embargo which happens on Wednesday I think after the Cannes screening should only help assuming the reviews are strong.

Don't know how the rest of the weekend is looking. Maybe other trackers can take a look in their markets 

14 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Seeing the same thing as @katnisscinnaplex for Apes Saturday

Comp is at $23.3M as of 6pm EST

Huge jump from Friday 

Wtf no way. Even 20M+ Sat would be good.

Posted (edited)

Tomorrow or at least on Monday ;) I will be less lazy but Furiosa continues its strong performance in "my" theaters. The movie yesterday had already 1.310 sold tickets (for Thursday, May 23).

Up 15% in ca. 24 hours which isn't bad at all after the first rush. 13 days left.

So it's already comfortably in front of The Fall Guy's final sales (it had 1.071 counted on Thursday for Thursday) and almost on par with Civil War's final sales (1.357) and also the Apes finally had not more than 1.657 sold tickets in my theaters. 

Edited by el sid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

At least not interpret it on the scale of "B = D"

The one thing is for the longest time Audiences were  easier on Mainstream studio movies than Critics. So a B does equal D for audiences. But we are now living in such divisive times in all walks of life that may not mean much any more. 

Was taking a look at Marcus Cinemas to see that they have preloaded Inside Out 2 showtimes which seem to start at 3:00 pm on a Thursday. It seems like Marcus is going all out on it as judging from showtimes it's taking away all of Bad Boys’ PLFs in that theaters that have two+ PLFs are giving all to IO2.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Or realize that Outliers Happen in any statistical sampling.

For some concrete examples - look at Shazam 1. It got a pure A cinemascore (very good) and a 2 week posttrak score of "79% positive, 59% definite recommend" (pretty bad!). You literally can't reconcile these just like you can't reconcile a weirdly bad posttrak score for Girls Trip. 

What's interesting about Apes is that we have 2 real data sources (cinemascore/posttrak) and I quasi-bs one (RT Verified user score) agreeing with the box office seemingly contradicting it (and I guess IMDb's 7.3/10 standing more in 'strong OW' camp). Those three scores shouldn't have a shared sampling error. Something like Last Jedi shows "real" audience scores significantly diverging from box office results but that's not super common I think. 

edit: forgot this was the tracking thread, probably better discussion on weekend one. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1