katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I watched Zhivago yesterday with my Dad. It's a good movie, well-made by a great director. Very nice visuals & photography. The music is pretty catchy. Epic scale dealing with Russian historical stuff that was probably interesting to people in 1965, the peak of the Cold War.

Also seems Zhivago benefited from earlier movies by David Lean such as Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia. Thunderball was a bigger movie than Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, and Dr. No. Similar deal here with Zhivago compared to David Lean's earlier movies. He gained more and more audience over time and it peaked with Zhivago. 

The 'Russsian Historical Stuff" has a lot of current day revelence, given what is going on in Russia right now. Let's us just say, to steal a linve from Zhivago, that the boots of the current Russian soliders might be wearing out....

Zhivago is a favorite of mine. I have problem seeing how people think that 1970 POS "Love Story" is better. Love Story is pretty much forgotten, Zhivago still has a following.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Bigger than Indie and Flash?

It wont make up its marketing and release costs looking at almost negligible numbers overseas. Its going to be frontloaded domestic as well. Relative to budget and WW its going to fight hard with those 2. If I have to say again I would say 1) Flash 2) Indy 3) HM as 1st 2 was not expected to gross so little ahead of release. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Zhivago was a humongous hit in its time and possibly second ony to Sound of Music in the 60s but those admissions are probably bogus like all the old jaggernauts admissions numbers. We'll never know when and at what prices they made all their money. Movies kept returning to theatres before the creation of home video because it was the only way to see them. Zhivago didn't made 110m in 1965, so I highly doubt it sold tickets on par with Titanic.

I love the way the  Cameron fanboys just will not admit that some films might have sold more tickets then Camron movies.

Saying the admissions and adjusted for inflation ticket sales are bogus is just ignorance, or fanboy desperation.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dr Zhivago was from a different era. Back then theater was the primary way to experience movies as they were not available in any other format for really long. Plus David Lean was known for big screen Epics. So it becomes a must watch on big screen. 

Spielberg said that most directors want to do a David Lean style epic, and if they do most of them fail.

It's hard to find a modern director who doe snot admire David Lean. 

• Like 2

We don't even have exact figures on many big movies from the 60s and earlier, it's seems like a lot of rough estimating, rounding etc. compared to today where it's pretty exact. So I don't put any water in those inflation-adjusted records for movies long ago.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dr Zhivago was from a different era. Back then theater was the primary way to experience movies as they were not available in any other format for really long. Plus David Lean was known for big screen Epics. So it becomes a must watch on big screen. 

That’s the whole point though. Opp is performing like it’s from another era. In this case, like a whopping 50+ years ago. It’s nuts. 

I am curios to see any early Monday numbers for Barbie in domestic market...it seems to have held amazingly in UK on Monday, just around 25-30% drop from Sunday (for context, it dropped around 30% last Monday)

Edited by upriser7
  • Astonished 2

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I love the way the  Cameron fanboys just will not admit that some films might have sold more tickets then Camron movies.

Saying the admissions and adjusted for inflation ticket sales are bogus is just ignorance, or fanboy desperation.

I mean those movies WERE from a different time. When a film came out it would be in theater for sometimes years and people would see it slowly, and often numerous times. You also didn't know if you would EVER have the chance to see it again once it left theaters.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

There are probably several movies that have sold more tickets than Titanic. GWTW, Sound of Music, OG Star Wars possibly even E.T.

I'm just saying Dr. Zhivago is probably not one of them because to arrive to that conclusion you have to assume it made all its money on 1965 and divide them by the avg. ticket price of that year. So ignoring big movies of the time had roadshow releases with 2x-3x bigger premium prices first and returned to theatres several times after their initial theatrical release with various ticket. It might have sold 80 or 90 or even 100 mil, but I highly doubt it sold 124. All we have from Dr. Zhivago is that it made 110mil in the US sometime before 1980 and that's it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That’s the whole point though. Opp is performing like it’s from another era. In this case, like a whopping 50+ years ago. It’s nuts. 

It should be good comp as David Lean was coming from Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia. Both were spectacular movies and David Lean was even more acclaimed coming up with Best director awards for both the movies. Zhivago broke out not just domestic but in many other markets like big European markets and Australia. 

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Moderation

Please do not partake in such fanboy war nonsense and bait other users like this. There was absolutely no need to make such a post like this.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The 'Russsian Historical Stuff" has a lot of current day revelence, given what is going on in Russia right now. Let's us just say, to steal a linve from Zhivago, that the boots of the current Russian soliders might be wearing out....

Zhivago is a favorite of mine. I have problem seeing how people think that 1970 POS "Love Story" is better. Love Story is pretty much forgotten, Zhivago still has a following.

Agree with you, Zhivago is a far better movie than Love Story. And yep, the crazy stuff going on in Russia these days is exactly why I felt like watching Zhivago yesterday. My Dad has always been a fan of it, so he was glad that I was interested in watching it.

Watching Zhivago, two things come to mind. First of all is that Russia is way too damn cold! Second of all is that the people in that country know way more about suffering than we do in the West. It is sad how things have played out for centuries in Russia with the Tsars/emperors and then with the likes of Lenin/Stalin and later Mr. Putin. Everyone is under an iron fist, which is sad. 

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I never said Love Story was better. I said that I can see why Love Story was successful without having been alive at the time it was released. I'm actually not a huge fan of either it or Zhivago personally, but it's easier for me to see why Love Story was a hit ibecause it's a commerical tearjerker. I'm in no way automatically equating quality with success. If Zhivago is a favorite yours, cool. I just wanted to understand more of the context for why it was a hit because it wasn't as apparent to me watching it today. 

Titanic, Avatar have much more impressive box office runs than Gone with the wind, Ten commandments, or whatever. Back then people would go to theaters for air conditioning. Also theaters as a medium of entertainment had no competition, and their box office "runs" lasted for many decades. 

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Titanic, Avatar have much more impressive box office runs than Gone with the wind, Ten commandments, or whatever. Back then people would go to theaters for air conditioning. Also theaters as a medium of entertainment had no competition, and their box office "runs" lasted for many decades. 

So why didn't all the other movies released at the same time as either Gone or Ten replicate their admissions if people were solely there for A/C. Other studio films were releasing then...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

An even better drop for ELEMENTAL. Just 39.3%!

Despite losing alot of screens it had a smaller drop than every other film in the Top 10, with the exception of SoF - which dropped 35% and added 126 theaters.

• Like 2