katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think the audience for these talks shows is much to speak of but they have promo pieces that are designed to go viral and I think those def can help juice up awareness. YouTube promo like Hot Ones maybe makes more impact with a younger audiences too.

Even just normal talk show interviews get millions of views on YouTube (more than their ratings).

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Luck changes quickly. Cruise saved the cinema last year and crashed and burned this year. Margot crashed and burned twice last year and saved the cinema this year. who knows what's in store for Disney in 2024?

This is fair. 
Things succeed or fail for reasons that are unpredictable. I continue to be baffled at the idea Disney is some disaster. All studios struggled with pandemic budgets. It’s easy to see all these execs are morons who don’t know what they are doing, but it seems odd that this problem is randomly affecting all of them in a huge way. 
(I’m on board with viewing corporate execs with skepticism or hostility because they are very greedy people.)

I keeping looking at domestic grosses. Disney is producing popular movies. I’m not sure if that is really in dispute. That seems predictive of some future success. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Okay, so to put this in a way that you can maybe understand,  a Marvel movie!

Whedon did a draft of the X-Men movie and we all know the legend that they only kept two lines from his scripts, one of which was the infamous Toad line.  When I first learned that was a Whedon line, I could immediately picture Buffy or Willow saying it and it sounding just fine.

The difference between directing your own script and someone else directing it - can make a huge difference!

Your schtick is funny, but get this, and let’s keep the superhero themed bullshit you came up with: the single good Zack Snyder film ever made came out from a James Gunn screenplay; it’s called Dawn of the Dead.

Everything we know from Snow White so far seems like something that Greta Gerwig would come up with, based on the reception of Barbie and Ladybird. I’m not here to play studio wars and hate on Disney because Disney and love WB because WB. This is non-sense. The idea of a Snow White film co-written by Greta Gerwig makes far more sense in my head than she making a Narnia film, yeah this film will deal with a bunch of old weirdos complaining about a white half-Colombian girl not being white enough and some weird dwarves, but the premise is actually interesting, and one I can see being popular, just like it happened with Barbie.

It’s disingenuous and actually disrespectful to a big chunk of demographic that are taking their time to go to the films to assume that Barbie only became popular "because memes". If anything, I think Greta Gerwig having worked on this - and thank god the demographic that goes to these films aren’t made of old boomers that remember shit like an X-Men script from almost 30 years ago - is a hint that this might connect with today’s audiences more than people are realizing right now.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

The issue for Disney is all their film divisions have simultaneously are in a low ebb. Marvel is going ok BO wise but definitely not on the rise it was (ignore the Disney+ shows), Star Wars seems forever limbo, the live action remakes have lost their appeal, Pixar and WDAS suffered the most during COVID and only now have started to show signs of recovery. 20th Century only is Avatar.

I'd say the live action division which Iger pivoted to live action remakes after Tomorrowland is coming back to bite them hard since they don't have any other franchises.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The issue for Disney is all their film divisions have simultaneously are in a low ebb. Marvel is going ok BO wise but definitely not on the rise it was (ignore the Disney+ shows), Star Wars seems forever limbo, the live action remakes have lost their appeal, Pixar and WDAS suffered the most during COVID and only now have started to show signs of recovery. 20th Century only is Avatar.

I'd say the live action division which Iger pivoted to live action remakes after Tomorrowland is coming back to bite them hard since they don't have any other franchises.

Avatar 2 is "going ok" box office wise? :ohmygod:

Edit:

Another thing I’d like to point out: yeah Spider-Man: No Way Home is a Sony Pictures film, but was produced by Marvel Studios, a Disney division, with a brand new deal that is far more lucrative to Disney. If we can say that Avatar 2 isn’t "truly Disney", one could argue that well, No Way Home isn’t "truly Sony" either, and that went north to $2B with a pandemic. Deadpool 3 is coming and that will obviously be popular, eventually Star Wars will come back and I think bet against them is always wrong. 

I will believe that Disney is "declining" if an Avengers film comes and doesn’t break $2B WW. We are still some years out of that though, and I’m quite confident it will happen.

Edited by ZattMurdock

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Your schtick is funny, but get this, and let’s keep the superhero themed bullshit you came up with: the single good Zack Snyder film ever made came out from a James Gunn screenplay; it’s called Dawn of the Dead.

Everything we know from Snow White so far seems like something that Greta Gerwig would come up with, based on the reception of Barbie and Ladybird. I’m not here to play studio wars and hate on Disney because Disney and love WB because WB. This is non-sense. The idea of a Snow White film co-written by Greta Gerwig makes far more sense in my head than she making a Narnia film, yeah this film will deal with a bunch of old weirdos complaining about a white half-Colombian girl not being white enough and some weird dwarves, but the premise is actually interesting, and one I can see being popular, just like it happened with Barbie.

It’s disingenuous and actually disrespectful to a big chunk of demographic that are taking their time to go to the films to assume that Barbie only became popular "because memes". If anything, I think Greta Gerwig having worked on this - and thank god the demographic that goes to these films aren’t made of old boomers that remember shit like an X-Men script from almost 30 years ago - is a hint that this might connect with today’s audiences more than people are realizing right now.

comparing snow white and barbie is hilarious. You should compare it to TLM I would be extremely surprised if it does more than that.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s disingenuous shit. I have you on ignore, but I will entertain this answer:

Barbie is a strong feminist take on a feminist toy. Snow White is obviously shaping up as a strong feminist take on a fairytale. It’s reportedly co-written by Greta Gerwig and everything that it’s said here:

Seems like a fitting follow up and a spiritual successor of Barbie this year. The public that went nuts for Barbie won’t go away, and soon people will see that Barbie didn’t got popular because of memes. It turns out that if you make films directly aimed towards women, they connect with it. If anything, the more outraged people get at this film, even better for it next year.

Barbie didn't get popular by memes.

It becomes popular because the promotion really connected with women. However, the feminism wasn't even big part of the promo. 

Also, Barbie could be a feminist take, but she wasn't turn into a warrior woman.

I think there will be an issue of race, since the biggest audience for Barbie were white women. Barbie has even been accused of white feminism.

Glad to see Oppy’s number go up from $13M to $14M. Just got back from my 3rd viewing and it’s pretty hard to believe this movie is making so much money. Gotta be the most impressive box office performance of Nolan’s career, given the fact it’s 99% dialogue and almost zero action sequences. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I'm just trying to help you understand man!  I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to be a screenwriter and I read everything I could about writing and the industry and it fucking sucks for writers!

Do you know the difference between 'and' and '&' when it comes to screenwriting credits?  

"Greta Gerwig and Erin Cressida Wilson" means something completely different than "Greta Gerwig & Erin Cressida Wilson"

I'm trying to convey to you that I am generally always going to be on the side of a writer.  I have stated recently that I always have a hard time blaming a writer for the outcome of a movie that they only wrote.  So much happens between the writing process and then filming and then editing(people forget editing also changes the script). 

It all changes the script in sometimes small, sometimes meaningful ways.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

This is fair. 
Things succeed or fail for reasons that are unpredictable. I continue to be baffled at the idea Disney is some disaster. All studios struggled with pandemic budgets. It’s easy to see all these execs are morons who don’t know what they are doing, but it seems odd that this problem is randomly affecting all of them in a huge way. 
(I’m on board with viewing corporate execs with skepticism or hostility because they are very greedy people.)

I keeping looking at domestic grosses. Disney is producing popular movies. I’m not sure if that is really in dispute. That seems predictive of some future success. 

You are baffled because it doesn’t make sense. Avatar 2 just happened, but it doesn’t count because ‘not true Disney for some arbitrary reason’. Spider-Man: No Way Home happened, made to almost $2B WW during a pandemic, and made that being a Marvel Studios produced film. That doesn’t count, because Sony Pictures, despite the very public new deal that Disney reportedly gets to co-produce and a bigger chunk of profits. 

Deadpool 3 will come and blow up, and then people will say that isn’t true Disney. And then Avengers comes and makes $2B WW, but then the argument is that of course it did that, but they can’t make a team up every year. Ten years after The Force Awakens, a new Star Wars film comes and crowds movie theaters just like it did the last time around, and it’s deemed luck. For some, Disney can’t win, absolutely no mater what. For some folks, it’s political. For others, it’s studio wars shit. 

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I'm just trying to help you understand man!  I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to be a screenwriter and I read everything I could about writing and the industry and it fucking sucks for writers!

Do you know the difference between 'and' and '&' when it comes to screenwriting credits?  

"Greta Gerwig and Erin Cressida Wilson" means something completely different than "Greta Gerwig & Erin Cressida Wilson"

I'm trying to convey to you that I am generally always going to be on the side of a writer.  I have stated recently that I always have a hard time blaming a writer for the outcome of a movie that they only wrote.  So much happens between the writing process and then filming and then editing(people forget editing also changes the script). 

It all changes the script in sometimes small, sometimes meaningful ways.  

I’m here to see old men writing essays annd walls of text about Barbies and Disney princesses. Please, give me more. It lights my Friday.