Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

A few members were talking about watching The Dark Knight again for the first time in years and how good it was, and how absolutely out of this world the script was. They also mentioned how many memorable and iconic lines that were in the film. 

I'm 36 minutes into the film. Batman has just flown into Lau's downtown skyscraper to extradite him back to the US. In the first half hour, I can't believe how many iconic lines there are so far, how amazing this script is right from the start. You've got the pencil trick, you have the restaurant scene where Harvey Dent says you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. And then of course you have one of the more famous scenes where the Joker explains how he got the scars on his face and then proceeds to kill Michael Jai White by putting a smile on his face.

I looked back at the adapted screenplay for that year and of course the one that doesn't belong on the list was The Reader and we all know that Harvey Weinstein bought Oscar votes and Oscar wins and it was never more apparent and obvious than that year.

The Dark Knight missing out on an adapted screenplay nomination is just putrid. That was also the Slumdog year and Milk. Those were the Oscar darlings it seems like that year but the dark Knight in my opinion should have pulled a Titanic or a Ben-Hur or a ROTK and won as many Oscars as possible.

NOLAN TRULY IS A GIFTED DIRECTOR AND THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN HIS MAGNUS OPUS. I'VE ALWAYS HAD THE DARK NIGHT IN MY TOP 25 FILMS OF ALL TIME, MAYBE AFTER WATCHING THE REST OF THIS MASTERPIECE TONIGHT IT MIGHT GET ELEVATED TO MY TOP 10.

Sorry about that, I don't know why the voice to text ended up doing it in all caps. My apologies for that part 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

A few members were talking about watching The Dark Knight again for the first time in years and how good it was, and how absolutely out of this world the script was. They also mentioned how many memorable and iconic lines that were in the film. 

I'm 36 minutes into the film. Batman has just flown into Lau's downtown skyscraper to extradite him back to the US. In the first half hour, I can't believe how many iconic lines there are so far, how amazing this script is right from the start. You've got the pencil trick, you have the restaurant scene where Harvey Dent says you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. And then of course you have one of the more famous scenes where the Joker explains how he got the scars on his face and then proceeds to kill Michael Jai White by putting a smile on his face.

I looked back at the adapted screenplay for that year and of course the one that doesn't belong on the list was The Reader and we all know that Harvey Weinstein bought Oscar votes and Oscar wins and it was never more apparent and obvious than that year.

The Dark Knight missing out on an adapted screenplay nomination is just putrid. That was also the Slumdog year and Milk. Those were the Oscar darlings it seems like that year but the dark Knight in my opinion should have pulled a Titanic or a Ben-Hur or a ROTK and won as many Oscars as possible.

NOLAN TRULY IS A GIFTED DIRECTOR AND THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN HIS MAGNUS OPUS. I'VE ALWAYS HAD THE DARK NIGHT IN MY TOP 25 FILMS OF ALL TIME, MAYBE AFTER WATCHING THE REST OF THIS MASTERPIECE TONIGHT IT MIGHT GET ELEVATED TO MY TOP 10.

Sorry about that, I don't know why the voice to text ended up doing it in all caps. My apologies for that part 

Things that are never said by anybody anywhere -Let's watch Slumdog Millionaire again. The movie's that win the best picture oscar sometimes and the movies that do not even get nominated. The Dark Knight was the movie that got them to increase the nominee amounts at least. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

It is firmly in the top 3 films I have ever seen, I will stand by that. When I’ve seen people want to go “hipster” with Nolan and pretend it’s not his masterpiece and is “overrated” it usually comes off very forced in a “look at me, I never pick the popular choice” just for the sake of it kind of way. It’s very hard to objectively pick apart that film for much of anything, it does it all so well. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is firmly in the top 3 films I have ever seen, I will stand by that. When I’ve seen people want to go “hipster” with Nolan and pretend it’s not his masterpiece and is “overrated” it usually comes off very forced in a “look at me, I never pick the popular choice” just for the sake of it kind of way. It’s very hard to objectively pick apart that film for much of anything, it does it all so well. 

I think this and the first couple of Spider-Man movies are literally the only super-hero movies I've never met anyone who actually watched them who dislikes them. The "super heroes are silly" crowd always end up liking this particular ones if they give them a chance.

• Like 3

And the TDK major Oscar snubbing is most certainly the biggest face palm the Academy has taken this century. Nothing else has made them look like more of a joke since I’ve followed the Oscars. 

It’s still pretty insane actually that the fallout of it was so huge they had to restructure the entire BP cat and have never gone back. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

So, is that net profits? We all know how creative Hollywood accounting is when it comes to paying out people who are supposed to get a % of the net profits.

Going by their accounting there has never been a movie that made a profit.😛

I still remember the Forrest Gump lawsuit. The author was owed 3% of the net profits, the movie had a budget of $55M and did $678M WW and Paramount was claiming the movie was still over $60M in the red.😄

https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvel-sony-spiderman-contracts.13589/

it was box office gross before not profit share. 

• 2004 - SPE to pay Marvel 5% of the BO gross
  • 2011 - Disney pays Sony 280MM plus 3.5% of each film's BO gross (with a limit of 35MM per film and 130MM every 10 years) to buy them out of merchandising participation

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Every once in a while I remember the "either die a hero" line and go to YouTube to watch that scene and inevitably end up watching the entire movie after that. It's just such a well written movie all around.

Just the fact that the climax hinges on whether random people we have never met before deciding whether or not to kill other random people we have never met before and there's literally nothing Batman himself can do about it is ballsy. Trusting that we will empathize with the crowd and also that a climax without a major action setpiece will satisfy the audience was a bold move for a CBM superhero movie.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Slumdog Millionaire>>>The Dark Knight

I would take a bullet for Nolan and I have both of these films as 10/10 movies, but I gotta agree with you there. Slumdog is one of my top 10 favorite movies ever. It is so alive.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean even as a Nolan fangirl I agree that sometimes Nolan fans can become very annoying, but people bashing Nolan just so they can be hipster because they hate the popular trend is equally as annoying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

And the TDK major Oscar snubbing is most certainly the biggest face palm the Academy has taken this century. Nothing else has made them look like more of a joke since I’ve followed the Oscars. 

It’s still pretty insane actually that the fallout of it was so huge they had to restructure the entire BP cat and have never gone back. 

I am still pretty pissed about Crash and Brokeback Mountain lol I guess Heath Ledger winning the Oscar eased my anger a bit with TDK.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

If Slumdog came out today there would be so much blowback about a white guy making that movie.

That's the case with a lot of movies tbh. I am not sure if Titanic would've been loved this much if it was released today. People, especially women nowadays don't seem to resonate that much with epic love stories.

3 minutes ago, elothar said:

tough to make art these days

There’s ways to get around it. If Power of the Dog was directed by a guy instead of Campion there would have been more blowback about straight actors playing gay. Or portraying gay people as evil.

Edited by ringedmortality