Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Slumdog was fantastic imo. But TDK is on another level imo

Slumdog is a good movie but have never had any desire to watch it again since seeing it in a theater at the time. It's part of a long list of best picture winners that are not even close to being the best movie of that year. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Slumdog is a good movie but have never had any desire to watch it again since seeing it in a theater at the time. It's part of a long list of best picture winners that are not even close to being the best movie of that year. 

The number of times the best movie of the year not only didn't win (I'm looking at you 88th), but wasn't even nominated (hello 84th)

7 hours ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Then just don't respond to them. It's really not that hard to ignore people when they reply to your posts. Do you have to argue with people over a silly Pixar movie? Will the universe implode if you don't? Last I checked, that's not the case. 

how did you check that the universe would not implode if he doesn't

explain your methodology

9 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

That's not counting films released last year, right?

If all film grosses earned this year are counted, the top distributors are (according to boxofficepro):

Disney + 20th Century + Searchlight + Star: $1.59B

Universal + Focus Features: $1.38B

Warner Bros.: $761.6M

Sony Pictures + Sony Classics + Crunchyroll: $713.1M

Paramount: $611.5M

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-barbie-meg-2-trench-oppenheimer-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutant-mayhem/

1 minute ago, Neucentro said:

That's not counting films released last year, right?

If all film grosses earned this year are counted, the top distributors are (according to boxofficepro):

Disney + 20th Century + Searchlight + Star: $1.59B

Universal + Focus Features: $1.38B

Warner Bros.: $761.6M

Sony Pictures + Sony Classics + Crunchyroll: $713.1M

Paramount: $611.5M

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-barbie-meg-2-trench-oppenheimer-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutant-mayhem/

I don't think he includes studios like Searchlight or Focus.

1 hour ago, eeetooki said:

That's the case with a lot of movies tbh. I am not sure if Titanic would've been loved this much if it was released today. People, especially women nowadays don't seem to resonate that much with epic love stories.

It came out in a time where America and the world are so confident and good. Human being still have good will on everything. Now this planet fuck up. We only see pain from epic things. That’s part of the reason I think Cameron is lucky or maybe he is really a genius. In Way of Water, he was just telling a family story - so conservative but the one audience around the broken world right now could embrace. 

4 hours ago, baumer said:

A few members were talking about watching The Dark Knight again for the first time in years and how good it was, and how absolutely out of this world the script was. They also mentioned how many memorable and iconic lines that were in the film. 

I'm 36 minutes into the film. Batman has just flown into Lau's downtown skyscraper to extradite him back to the US. In the first half hour, I can't believe how many iconic lines there are so far, how amazing this script is right from the start. You've got the pencil trick, you have the restaurant scene where Harvey Dent says you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. And then of course you have one of the more famous scenes where the Joker explains how he got the scars on his face and then proceeds to kill Michael Jai White by putting a smile on his face.

I looked back at the adapted screenplay for that year and of course the one that doesn't belong on the list was The Reader and we all know that Harvey Weinstein bought Oscar votes and Oscar wins and it was never more apparent and obvious than that year.

The Dark Knight missing out on an adapted screenplay nomination is just putrid. That was also the Slumdog year and Milk. Those were the Oscar darlings it seems like that year but the dark Knight in my opinion should have pulled a Titanic or a Ben-Hur or a ROTK and won as many Oscars as possible.

NOLAN TRULY IS A GIFTED DIRECTOR AND THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN HIS MAGNUS OPUS. I'VE ALWAYS HAD THE DARK NIGHT IN MY TOP 25 FILMS OF ALL TIME, MAYBE AFTER WATCHING THE REST OF THIS MASTERPIECE TONIGHT IT MIGHT GET ELEVATED TO MY TOP 10.

Sorry about that, I don't know why the voice to text ended up doing it in all caps. My apologies for that part 

I also rewatched TDK recently. I have adored this movie for more than ten years. But this time I realize it’s a movie creative people today can hardly do due to the pro-conservation themes. Even though Nolan said he just wanted to make a movie about terrorism instead of a political statement, there are so many story designs that might be something the left wing can hardly agree. Batman attack SWAT time because they thought hostages were joker’s people. It’s like saying left wing always seek justice by doing something on surface and ignore the real bad persons in the dark, and right wing have to take control by some inappropriate moves like Wayne’s sound wave tech. And the end was seen as an answer to Bush. (WSJ made an article about that)

3 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Slumdog Millionaire>>>The Dark Knight

I’m not sure which one is better or if it’s possible to have an answer. But Nolan’s style really isn’t what the academy would highly appreciate in any time. And I understand that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Moderation

Yeah we're not doing this. Please do not spout such trollish hyperbole.

I see ppl make inflammatory/trollish comments about ppl on the right and religious ppl quite frequently with no moderation, but that’s what gets your cackles up? Lmfao..

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just noticed the horrific plunge for Elemental, holy wow. Yeah, no way you can tell me no direct comp before THM and now TMNT wasn’t majorly helping that movie. And I’d say any chance of box office profitability is officially dead with a DOM haul of only 155 or so. 

Indy also pretty much done with after this weekend. TLM 300 chances are probably impossible even if they went for a major Labor Day re-expansion. Which I don’t even think they will since Disney hasn’t been doing re-expansions lately. Still shocked A2 didn’t get one. 

Well, I was wrong about Elemental, I thought the falloff would happen a lot sooner. I do agree with you that no direct competition helped the movie a lot, but… there still needs some good wom in order to get ppl off their asses and into the theaters. The movie is still a fail for Disney/Pixar no matter how some want to spin it. If the Disney brand hadn’t had taken such a hit recently , especially over some of the kids content, Elemental might have done better, instead of hesitant parents seemingly waiting for reviews or wom in wether the movie might be “safe”. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eeetooki said:

I mean even as a Nolan fangirl I agree that sometimes Nolan fans can become very annoying, but people bashing Nolan just so they can be hipster because they hate the popular trend is equally as annoying.

Eh. Hipster bashing Nolan would've been a hipster thing like a decade ago maybe? He's old now. Been 15+ years since TDK. It's like bashing Spielberg or Scorsese now kinda. Hipster bashing now would be bashing Gerwig this summer since Barbie dropped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

It came out in a time where America and the world are so confident and good. Human being still have good will on everything. Now this planet fuck up. We only see pain from epic things. That’s part of the reason I think Cameron is lucky or maybe he is really a genius. In Way of Water, he was just telling a family story - so conservative but the one audience around the broken world right now could embrace. 

I also rewatched TDK recently. I have adored this movie for more than ten years. But this time I realize it’s a movie creative people today can hardly do due to the pro-conservation themes. Even though Nolan said he just wanted to make a movie about terrorism instead of a political statement, there are so many story designs that might be something the left wing can hardly agree. Batman attack SWAT time because they thought hostages were joker’s people. It’s like saying left wing always seek justice by doing something on surface and ignore the real bad persons in the dark, and right wing have to take control by some inappropriate moves like Wayne’s sound wave tech. And the end was seen as an answer to Bush. (WSJ made an article about that)

I’m not sure which one is better or if it’s possible to have an answer. But Nolan’s style really isn’t what the academy would highly appreciate in any time. And I understand that.

The movies I think of when I think of Dark Knight are Heat but much more so and to your point Dirty Harry. Not sure it was intentional but it's A LOT like Dirty Harry. Which... Isn't a bad thing. A LOT like Dirty Harry.

5 hours ago, eeetooki said:

That's the case with a lot of movies tbh. I am not sure if Titanic would've been loved this much if it was released today. People, especially women nowadays don't seem to resonate that much with epic love stories.

People, especially women, still resonate with epic love stories. I mean, romance stories are still one of the favorite genders between women.

Also, epic romance movies have never been so common. So, I'm not sure why do you think the current times have changed in this aspect.

Edited by Kon

4 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Without even going back and listing all the movies that have won best picture over the last say close to 50 years, in my humble opinion 75% of the Best picture winners would not have won in my book. But we all know the Oscars are rigged, the Harvey weinsteins of the world who buy votes and buy Best picture winners are a dime a dozen. I don't think the Oscars have ever been about true merit it's about who can grease the wheels and by their way into a win.

I know 1975 feels like eons ago but when Spielberg wasn't even nominated for best director for Jaws and even though I really didn't start watching the Oscars until I was probably 10 LOL even at that young of an age I knew that something was wrong.

43 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh. Hipster bashing Nolan would've been a hipster thing like a decade ago maybe? He's old now. Been 15+ years since TDK. It's like bashing Spielberg or Scorsese now kinda. Hipster bashing now would be bashing Gerwig this summer since Barbie dropped.

Eh it's still very much "in" for people to bash Nolan, especially after Tenet. It definitely has died down a bit after Oppenheimer's success. The problem is, there hasn't been any director who can establish a dedicated fanbase after Nolan, so the hipster bashing is still mainly targeting at him. If Greta can pump out one or two more successful movies and develop a fanbase, she will definitely take over as the next target.

One last observation about the Dark Knight. Quentin Tarantino is known for and has publicly commented on the fact that he has a large repertoire of character actors that he will cast in his films. And it's no doubt true. But the Dark Knight has some of the most out of left field actors cast in it and they ended up being absolutely perfect for the role.

I already mentioned Michael Jai White who was terrific in his 5 or 10 minutes of screen time. Then you have Tiny Lister cast as the criminal who would not be responsible for blowing up the other boat. To wrestling fans he was Zeus back in the day. To me I first got wind of him in films like Armed and Dangerous and Walter Hills Extreme Prejudice.

Then of course you have one of my favorite character actors, Eric Roberts who's been in a ton of films and people presumably know from Runaway Train in and he was in the first Expendables movie as well.

I guess I'm just adding to the fact that Nolan clearly had the Midas touch for the Dark Knight. Everything from the casting to the script to the acting the locations the music and so on and so on, he just nailed everything.

8 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Eh it's still very much "in" for people to bash Nolan, especially after Tenet. It definitely has died down a bit after Oppenheimer's success. The problem is, there hasn't been any director who can establish a dedicated fanbase after Nolan, so the hipster bashing is still mainly targeting at him. If Greta can pump out one or two more successful movies and develop a fanbase, she will definitely take over as the next target.

Not sure bashing him for Tenet or, years ago, something like Dark Knight Rises is all that hipster as, even though well received enough, those are his two worst received movies since Dark Knight. Every well liked director will receive this kind of backlash if they have a pristine record then a few perceived missteps. This isn't some novel concept. And, given the ratings of his films on Letterboxd which may well be called Hipsterboxd, he's in VERY VERY VERY excellent standing with hipsters. Always has been.

3 hours ago, Elden Lord said:

I see ppl make inflammatory/trollish comments about ppl on the right and religious ppl quite frequently with no moderation, but that’s what gets your cackles up? Lmfao..

I often disagree with the moderation at this site but in this case it totally makes sense. Saying Disney is going to go broke is a trollish comment. It has no merits no truth to it and not even an inkling of a possibility.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Kon said:

People, especially women, still resonate with epic love stories. I mean, romance stories are still one of the favorite genders between women.

Also, epic romance movies have never been so common. So, I'm not sure why do you think the current times have changed in this aspect.

I am not saying all women completely despise epic love stories, they just don't hit the same like they used to. What's the last romance film to hit big at the box office? Twilight? 50 Shades of Grey? But that's more of an erotic love story. With the current state of the world and poor economy, people are just more practical these days. Epic love stories aren't practical.