Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

I like that a movie clearly aimed at women is going to make a billion dollars. Even stuff like Captain Marvel and TFA were just action movies with a woman as the lead, they were still clearly focused on male audiences.

I'm in total agreement. It's baffling the comments I'm seeing here, about Barbie not being Theatrical or that it's making too much money. Barbie is 100% just as theatrical as Oppenheimer, and it's making a perfect amount of money!

• Like 1

I feel like it's impossible to evaluate things like marketing budget vs ancillary revenue objectively with the information that's publicly available, but at this point it seems like the only people who still consider Elemental a flop are those on the outside. I think given the circumstances Disney considers the movie a mild success at this point.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jedijake said:

No, it's just baffling to hear someone complain about 65 degrees. And 85% humidity in 65 degree air does not make it feel like 95%. As a matter of fact, 85% humidity in 65 degree air doesn't actually make it feel much different than 65 degrees at all.

My point you missed is 65 degrees *is* extremely temperate mellow weather, but the dense canopy effect extreme humidity creates allows it to feel miserable even in such weather. 

narrator voice: everyone is accustomed to different weather. no need to act agro. 

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I like that a movie clearly aimed at women made a billion dollars. Even stuff like Captain Marvel and TFA were just action movies with a woman as the lead, they were still clearly focused on male audiences.

but if it heading to 1.3-1.5 billion it clearly hit a wider audience as well.

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

but if it heading to 1.3-1.5 billion it clearly hit a wider audience as well.

Definitely. Also plenty of boyfriends and husbands being taken by their women to see Barbie. It's becoming the ultimate date movie along with girls night out film.

Edited by Mojoguy

18 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, if we start talking about non-theatrical revenue, shouldn't we also start to include merchandising? Once you stop talking about Box Office, the revenue streams open to be more than just VoD or Subscribership. Now you also must look at every other realm in which the film can earn money.

And then there's weird Hollywood Accounting shit like Disney paying themselves for the streaming rights to Elemental.

Well now we are getting into the nickel and diming lmao. All the merchandising is done through licensing. Studios don't have factories to make all the merchandise, so, the studios, in this case Disney, come to licensing agreements with the various companies that do make merchandise.

The days of Star Wars are over when it comes to merchandise, where Lucas made more money from toys than he did from the actual movies. 

I can't imagine there was a long line of manufacturers willing to sign expensive licensing agreements with Disney (whom are notorious for being cut throat, just like they are with theaters) for a little known movie that was not getting a lot good wom, at least not at release. Is there merch out there, yes, so there were some licensing agreements signed obviously. If I had to bet, I would bet they were prob broad agreements mixed in with multiple movies ie, company x has the right to make shirts for all pixar releases, as opposed to specific agreements for each specific movie. Hasbro has the right to make all action figures for all pixar movies through 20XX etc etc. Making it tough to nail down how much revenue is generated from a specific movie for Disney when the licensees are usually static amounts for them. 

I know that is how LFL worked before selling to DIsney, Hasbro paid a one time licensing fee, and in return they got exclusive rights to make the action figures for all three of the Prequels. 

Edited by Elden Lord

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I feel like it's impossible to evaluate things like marketing budget vs ancillary revenue objectively with the information that's publicly available, but at this point it seems like the only people who still consider Elemental a flop are those on the outside. I think given the circumstances Disney considers the movie a mild success at this point.

I feel like it's just a disguise for the "go woke, go broke" crowd, since they know that line of discussion will get them into trouble and show their true colors.

The bias toward M:I7 solidified this for me. It's a well-reviewed film that won't make 2.5x its budget. It's still being treated better than TLM and Elemental ever were. 

45 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 MEG opened a bit below the first one (~42.000 tickets sold vs ~57.000 tickets sold) but it was insanely screwed by screen space (many theaters only had it in rooms with under 100 seats). The first one had no competition. Still, this is a bigger OW than D&D, Scream, Flash and Transformers and just below Spider-Verse and Quantumania.

Pôr do Sol sold ~32.000 tickets (it was almost first on Thursday) but it seems to be heavily frontloaded. Still, it is a great result.

Barbie and Oppenheimer destroying in the top 2. 

60k tickets is considered a lot?

1 minute ago, Elden Lord said:

a little known movie that was not getting a lot good wom, at least not at release.

Huh? It was getting good word of mouth after the first weekend, for sure. Was it a mistake for Disney to premiere the film at Cannes? Yes, but only because it allowed bad faith critics to steer the narrative that the film was bad. But as soon as audiences could see it, the narrative changed completely. That's why it had the legs it did.

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I feel like it's just a disguise for the "go woke, go broke" crowd, since they know that line of discussion will get them into trouble and show their true colors.

They just can't understand Barbie is not made for them. It's not an action movie with a poorly developed hot women as a trophy love interest for the male lead. If they can't understand a movie, they will get angry and try to tear it down. It has become predictable.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Huh? It was getting good word of mouth after the first weekend, for sure. Was it a mistake for Disney to premiere the film at Cannes? Yes, but only because it allowed bad faith critics to steer the narrative that the film was bad. But as soon as audiences could see it, the narrative changed completely. That's why it had the legs it did.

After the first weekend is not at release.. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

ALso, If I feel that a movie bombed because of go woke, go broke, than I would say that. I really don't care what some irrelevant strangers think of me on the internetz. If there is some kind of forum rule against talking about go woke, go broke, than it just further strengthens my suspicions that this forum is biased AF, and just an echo chamber for one side of an argument, that is too scared to have a real conversation, and probably like to use words ending in ist or phobe when challenged.. again, if such a rule is active. 

Edited by Elden Lord
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

After the first weekend is not at release.. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

ALso, If I feel that a movie bombed because of go woke, go broke, than I would say that. I really don't care what some irrelevant strangers think of me on the internetz. If there is some kind of forum rule against talking about go woke, go broke, than it just further strengthens my suspicions that this forum is biased AF, and just an echo chamber for one side of an argument, that is too scared to have a real conversation, and probably like to use words ending in ist or phobe when challenged.. again, if such a rule is active. 

This "go woke go broke" is such an useless nonsense slogan. If being woke had any negative influence on their profit, you can be sure the CEOs of all big Hollywood studios would stop green-lighting any and all projects considered woke, they're in it just for the money. This shit falls apart right there.

Not that this has any relevance to the Elemental arguments anyway. I think Elemental will ended up being considered a good win for Disney/Pixar, the obviously good WOM and then legs after a bad OW should signify better expectations for the next Pixar movie, it's a good sign imo.

And no, I don't think Elemental loses the studious any money in the long run.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, we are all on the outside looking in, so why does your opinion of it being a mild success mean anything more than my opinion it was a flop? 

What we do know is that back in July, Iger was on CNBC and talked about Pixar and how things have not been great at Pixar:

FABER: And Pixar? I mean, we’ve talked through the years. There was a time when a Pixar opening was a real event. Did it suffer as a result during Covid when you were going direct to consumer, for example, I think, it was “Red” or one of the fairly big movies.

IGER: Yeah, there were three Pixar releases in a row that went direct to streaming in part because mostly because of Covid. And I think that, you know, may have created an expectation in the audience that they’re going to eventually be on streaming and probably quickly, and there wasn’t an urgency. And then I think there was some – I think you’d have to agree that there was some creative misses, as well.

link to transcript of interview for all to read. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/cnbc-exclusive-cnbc-transcript-disney-ceo-bob-iger-speaks-with-cnbcs-david-faber-on-squawk-box-today.html#:~:text=IGER%3A Yeah%2C there were three,there wasn't an urgency.

16 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

Well yes. This forum is biased AF towards racist dog whistles like “go woke go broke” that are just vessels for people to act like racist assholes. Sorry if you are not fond of the fact you can’t act wreck havoc like this, but this is how the forum rolls. And the staff is more than fine with that. Feel free to find another forum more your speed. We aren’t the only place on the Internet where you can talk box office.

• Like 9
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 7

how exactly can one call Barbie not being a spectacle movie but also call Oppenheimer a spectacle ? Oppy is a movie where my opinion of the movie (how much I liked or disliked) wouldn't have much even if I watched it in my laptop at home. For example, movies like Avatar, Interstellar, Dune, MI series etc are what I'd say there is a big difference in watching on big screen vs home, not a movie like Oppenheimer

• ...wtf 2

4 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

What we do know is that back in July, Iger was on CNBC and talked about Pixar and how things have not been great at Pixar:

You mean, the same Iger who's trying to claim that SAG and the WGA are being unreasonable? Since when are we supposed to trust Bob Iger?

GIF by Giphy QA

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Pôr do Sol sold ~32.000 tickets (it was almost first on Thursday) but it seems to be heavily frontloaded. Still, it is a great result.

How do you know it was almost first on thursday? Do we have daily data somewhere?