Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Eh, white audience turned up for Barbie and Oppenheimer just fine. They simply don't show up for just any crap anymore but mostly for special movies. Hence why those movies make more than comparable next movie. When your biggest demo turn up in full force it eclipses smaller demos combined. 

MI7 and SOF also have white audience as their bigger audience.

So, this idea that white people don't show for movies anymore seems to be pretty wrong.

That said, I doubt quality is necessarily the reason why these movies attracted more white people (than movies starring minorities).

Edited by Kon

25 minutes ago, Noctis said:

EEAAO is an 8/10 movie that could have been a 9-9.5 if it were not for the absolutely hideous subplot with the sausage fingers. Took me the fuck out and inundated otherwise emotional scenes. Why the fuck did I need to see ketchup and mustard foaming out of their mouths? Disgusting.

Shame. It's when filmmakers try to be weird just for the sake of it when they could have instead made something much more engaging.

what-go-away.gif

Oppenheimer’s third weekend was very similar in raw numbers to TDK 4th weekend, Inception third, and Dunkirk second. Final domestic gross if it makes what they made after those weekends:

TDK - $320m

Inception - $327m

Dunkirk - $315m

I’m thinking a cool $325m 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

2002 was the peak in admissions. CLearly, there’s been a large decline   

600M today is what? At most, 50M tickets?

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Technically, the peak was 1946:

Try 1946, believed to be the all-time biggest movie year, when more than 80 million people-57 percent of Americans -went to theaters every week.

During the economic boom of World War II, movie attendance rose steadily, peaking in ’46. Employment had increased during the war, and Americans had few ways to spend their money-gas rationing limited travel, and commodities were scarce. So people turned to the pictures (which then cost an average of 34 cents per ticket) in droves.

To meet the demand, Hollywood’s major studios cranked out an average of 287 films a year throughout the war.

What, theaters didn't just play Gone with the Wind in an endless loop for years? :) Imagine 80 million admissions per week at today's prices...

But even 2002 attendance is probably never coming back. Habits have changed too much and theaters have fewer seats, thanks to going recliner/dine-in/closing down whole wings of multiplexes.

• Like 1

I am quite confident that there isn't much overlap in white audience that attended Barbenheimer vs white audience that attended SOF. White audience who attended Barbenheimer skew lot more urban and lot younger than white audience that attended SOF

• Like 2

I think with Demeter as the only wide release those weekend, one that would barely get past $10m in a best case scenario, I think the holdovers are going to enjoy a nice recovery week.

I do suspect The Meg is gonna follow Bullet Train's holds fairly closely, given the similar OW and IM, but otherwise mid-to-high teens for Turtleheimer and low-to-mid 30s for Barbie are good targets.

I kinda wish the "woke" discussion was banned in BO analysis. It's as grating as SOF stuff at this point and when you're talking about Terminator or Avatar or whatever getting "destroyed" it actually feels gaslighty. If you want to post about culture stuff I'd recommend them setting up a different thread for it, I don't want to see Meg 2 or TMNT analysis derailed by a bunch of culture theory.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

27 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

What about the stuff you're not thinking about? The 90% of films that don't attract culture war backlash? 

Disney movies were the paradise of conservatives. No one cared if Disney at some point made Aladdin, it was cool and romantic. Yeah in 1992.

In 2023?. Not romantic at all. If after all whites character they would came for a non white prince and princess they would call it Woke Hollywood. You see it with Marvel and many other things when they make this same thing now. What's not clicking?.😅

Agent J from MIB comics was blonde and white. So Will Smith in 1997 as Agent J? Great cause Will Smith is cool and everyone loves him.

In 2023 a black actor for a character was white originally?. Woke nightmare!

Men-In-Black-Comics-vs-Movies-The-Bigges

So i stay with my opinion, the conversation is regressing.

Of course i want to clarify not every conservative person has a problem with this kind of things. These are semi fascists. 

Edited by vale9001

12 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

I do suspect The Meg is gonna follow Bullet Train's holds fairly closely, given the similar OW and IM, but otherwise mid-to-high teens for Turtleheimer and low-to-mid 30s for Barbie are good targets.

I thought Bullet Train was ass but WOM with the GA was incredibly high - I don't see Meg 2 replicating its holds, probably expecting closer to a 2-2.1x multiplier tbh

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Oh come the fuck on. I was alive in the 90s. Almost nobody read MiB Malibu and knew the original Agent K was White.

Please fucking ban the culture war posts mods. PLEASE.

still no one cared. Now they would.

Now go on youtube and search all the videos about WOKE DUNE cause a character as famous as Batman (according to your argument 😁) became black and female on Villenueve movie. 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

still no one cared. Now they would.

Now go on youtube and search all the videos about WOKE DUNE cause a character as famous as Batman (according to your argument 😁) became black and female on Villenueve movie. 

No, I am not fucking searching on Youtube on all day because unlike you I WAS THERE IN 1997 and nobody knew or cared about the Agent K character BEFORE Will Smith played him. If a character that obscure was adapted now NOBODY WOULD STILL CARE.