Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

40 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think Frankenstein's a much better book than Dracula, but the count's been more consistent in terms of live-action adaptations. Outside of Karloff, the only other significantly memorable take on the property I can remember is Young Frankenstein. I still have to see the Hammer adaptation, so maybe that would change things. With Drac, you've got Nosferatu, Lugosi, Lee, Oldman, even Adam Sandler recently and we still have Eggers' and Zhao's takes on the way. I think Del Toro is gonna do wonders with it though, I have to assume Garfield's the monster and Isaac's the scientist? 

The main difference is that vampires are a more interesting concept that offers more creativity and iconography to play around with. You can’t even use the Karloff version of Frankenstein for your visual style.

Stuff like Buffy, Interview with the Vampire, True Blood, Twilight, etc. also likely help keep the vampire concept alive, and thereby Dracula and his story alive

22 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

When I was in 9th grade I wrote a (shitty!) script outline for a 21st century Robin Hood that was a heist/action movie with modern technology and class politics. Like Fast Five by way of Bernie Sanders. I guarantee that this would make more money than these braindead studio heads would cook up.

Used to think that Mr. Robot was basically an angsty Robin Hood and that it would be a good show to use as a framework for a Sherlock-style Robin Hood movie. Still would be down for that, so long as you avoid the pretentious silliness in that show.

flashing back to this sony hacks email about spider-man

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”…..wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way….he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense….and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

25 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

The main difference is that vampires are a more interesting concept that offers more creativity and iconography to play around with. You can’t even use the Karloff version of Frankenstein for your visual style.

Stuff like Buffy, Interview with the Vampire, True Blood, Twilight, etc. also likely help keep the vampire concept alive, and thereby Dracula and his story alive

Used to think that Mr. Robot was basically an angsty Robin Hood and that it would be a good show to use as a framework for a Sherlock-style Robin Hood movie. Still would be down for that, so long as you avoid the pretentious silliness in that show.

Speaking of Mr. Robot, I loved Oppenheimer, favorite movie of the year, but kinda stunned by all the reviews saying Rami Malek (I originally said Riz Ahmed, racist Clay) was "great" and "moving." It was the only scene/performance that took me out of the movie. Why was he acting like such a weirdo in a scene that required just a fairly normal person monologue? I don't know. Maybe it's just a me thing. But that performance was the one thing that didn't land with me, too twitchy and awkward but not in like a scientist way. Spoilers for a known casting that was listed in the thread title.I do appreciate Nolan casting someone who wasn't 100 percent white to do something in it, though.

Edited by Cmasterclay

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Speaking of Mr. Robot, I loved Oppenheimer, favorite movie of the year, but kinda stunned by all the reviews saying Riz Ahmed was "great" and "moving." It was the only scene/performance that took me out of the movie. Why was he acting like such a weirdo in a scene that required just a fairly normal person monologue? I don't know. Maybe it's just a me thing. But that performance was the one thing that didn't land with me, too twitchy and awkward but not in like a scientist way. Spoilers for a known casting that was listed in the thread title.I do appreciate Nolan casting someone who wasn't 100 percent white to do something in it, though.

Um…Riz Ahmed isn’t in Oppenheimer, honey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Speaking of Mr. Robot, I loved Oppenheimer, favorite movie of the year, but kinda stunned by all the reviews saying Riz Ahmed was "great" and "moving." It was the only scene/performance that took me out of the movie. Why was he acting like such a weirdo in a scene that required just a fairly normal person monologue? I don't know. Maybe it's just a me thing. But that performance was the one thing that didn't land with me, too twitchy and awkward but not in like a scientist way. Spoilers for a known casting that was listed in the thread title.I do appreciate Nolan casting someone who wasn't 100 percent white to do something in it, though.

Eh? You mean Remi Malek?

19 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

flashing back to this sony hacks email about spider-man

If Tom Holland started inexplicably doing this stuff in the next Spider-Man movie it would redeem the whole MCU.

1 minute ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Um…Riz Ahmed isn’t in Oppenheimer, honey.

Whoops!!!!!!!!

Read the synopsis of his new movie with Jesse Buckley this morning and it turned me accidentally racist. Brad Paisely style.

• Like 1

Though yeah, I was a huge Mr. Robot stan when I was 18, so Rami Malek was my whole personality for a while and I thought he could do no wrong. Still have a soft spot I guess, but he has really started to follow the Johnny Depp route and become an annoying one trick pony with every movie he is in. Only time he was against his annoying twitchy schtick was Bohemian Rhapsody, which was…well, yeah. Really hope he does something new and interesting before it’s too late.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Funnily, that's the worst Riz performance. He was bringing Rami energy to that part. 

In all seriousness, that whole character was a wasted opportunity. Betraying the Empire because you see what they're about, being tortured by the rebels you're trying to help...they could have done so much more with him, but we had to have a charisma black hole in the lead, a blind space kung fu master and a guy whose personality was "machine gun" instead. Ugh. Still think RO is one of the better Disney SW films, but by God that could have been so much more.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Funnily, that's the worst Riz performance. He was bringing Rami energy to that part. 

Rogue One is the rare movie where so many talented actors are utterly wasted. Like what was Peter Cushing trying to do with his part?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

In all seriousness, that whole character was a wasted opportunity. Betraying the Empire because you see what they're about, being tortured by the rebels you're trying to help...they could have done so much more with him, but we had to have a charisma black hole in the lead, a blind space kung fu master and a guy whose personality was "machine gun" instead. Ugh. Still think RO is one of the better Disney SW films, but by God that could have been so much more.

Everything about that movie is such a wasted opportunity. A waste of a good story, a waste of good actors, a waste of good visuals. It’s a film that gets worse and worse every time I think about it, especially when Zombie CG Cushing gave us this AI deepfake bullshit that SAG is trying to stop and studios are exploiting like crazy to save money.

It’s one of those rare hit movies people like where I genuninely don’t get the appeal. At all. No understanding whatsoever.