Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Maggie Gyllenhaal directing with Bale and Peter Sarsgaard. Would love to see Bale's take on Dr. Pretorius lol, but Bride honestly feels like such a level above the rest of the Universal Monsters stuff that remaking it actually feels like a risk.

Huh. I enjoyed Lost Daughter, so I’m curious even if I know it won’t match James Whale at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Huh. I enjoyed Lost Daughter, so I’m curious even if I know it won’t match James Whale at all.

Speaking of Whale, I guess I should eventually see Gods & Monsters. Condon was gonna do Bride for the Dark Universe with Jolie which feels like a disaster waiting to happen, but I think Bardem as the Monster would have at least looked great if nothing else.

Just now, TMP said:

Speaking of Whale, I guess I should eventually see Gods & Monsters. Condon was gonna do Bride for the Dark Universe with Jolie which feels like a disaster waiting to happen, but I think Bardem as the Monster would have at least looked great if nothing else.

Pretty sure Jolie was replaced by Gal Gadot. Now that was a bullet we dodged big time lmao

Just now, Eric the Turtle said:

Didn’t know Frankie was a hot topic these days, but I approve. Universal Monsters > your faves

Any IP which is in the public domain just becomes a hot property because studios keep mistaking familiarity with interest. We are about due for a new Robin Hood and King Arthur any moment now after the WGA strike ends.

• Like 1

i read Dracula last year and followed it up with a 6 dracula movie binge, and i must tell you, from what i understand of Dracula, the Demeter and Renfield are the most in demand stories of the book.  i am absolutely bewildered at the low preview numbers.  maybe a little understandable with Renfield because it acts silly and it is less popular than Demeter, but these numbers are like the low numbers that movies based off books from the bible get.  however, i will wait for streaming on this, but if Dracula is CGI'd in Demeter, i am riding my bike to the theater!

Edited by dxmatrixdt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We are about due for a new Robin Hood and King Arthur any moment now after the WGA strike ends.

Bring it on, I say. I wanna see how low we can go before we get another actual spoof for one or both of them.

I think Frankenstein's a much better book than Dracula, but the count's been more consistent in terms of live-action adaptations. Outside of Karloff, the only other significantly memorable take on the property I can remember is Young Frankenstein. I still have to see the Hammer adaptation, so maybe that would change things. With Drac, you've got Nosferatu, Lugosi, Lee, Oldman, even Adam Sandler recently and we still have Eggers' and Zhao's takes on the way. I think Del Toro is gonna do wonders with it though, I have to assume Garfield's the monster and Isaac's the scientist? 

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Any IP which is in the public domain just becomes a hot property because studios keep mistaking familiarity with interest. We are about due for a new Robin Hood and King Arthur any moment now after the WGA strike ends.

When I was in 9th grade I wrote a (shitty!) script outline for a 21st century Robin Hood that was a heist/action movie with modern technology and class politics. Like Fast Five by way of Bernie Sanders. I guarantee that this would make more money than these braindead studio heads would cook up.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

When I was in 9th grade I wrote a (shitty!) script outline for a 21st century Robin Hood that was a heist/action movie with modern technology and class politics. Like Fast Five by way of Bernie Sanders. I guarantee that this would make more money than these braindead studio heads would cook up.

This reminds me there was a British film called TWIST a couple years back (think only released here) that was a modern Oliver Twist where the kids did parkour. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Dracula Boat looks like one of those movies I'm gonna have to wait until it's out on VOD because those night time scenes look like they're gonna be dim as hell i'd be sitting in the cinema not knowing what the hell was going on.

Saw it last night.  The night scenes are fine, actually had lighting to provide the jump scare. 

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Didn't they make this in 2018

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

This reminds me there was a British film called TWIST a couple years back (think only released here) that was a modern Oliver Twist where the kids did parkour. 

I'm listening.....

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Didn't they make this in 2018

I didn't see that movie, but it appeared to still have bows and shit. It was going for a hip tone but it was still a period piece. In my version Robin Hood was capping fools with a sniper rifle and shit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I didn't see that movie, but it appeared to still have bows and shit. It was going for a hip tone but it was still a period piece. In my version Robin Hood was capping fools with a sniper rifle and shit.

Robin + Hood

• Like 1