Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

Started re-reading Stoker's Dracula, and it's kind of weird how every adaptation only ever hyper-focuses on one thing from the book but always leaves out the rest - the metaphor for infection in nosferatu, the eroticism of the coppola version, the theatricality of the original, and i guess this one has... boat. Kind of feels like the original Nosferatu is still the best at capturing the spirit of the book, but I have a suspicion that Eggers' take could be the new one to beat. The Moffat one had a great first episode, but the finale is maybe one of the worst things I've ever seen. The Demeter episode of that show is probably better than this movie lol

10 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Logical inference of its shitty reviews vs. the fact I actually want to see a TMNT film?

I'll never understand why anybody will ever listen to any critics when it comes to horror movies.

You knew the studio had no faith in The Last Voyage of the Demeter when they chose to let it be released with that mouthful of a title in a month where movies typically go to die two years after it was made.

The fact they didn't even bother slapping the Dracula name on at the last second in hopes of boosting the numbers (ala Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey) was even further indication the movie wasn't worth it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It does amaze me that Universal has never remade Creature from the Black Lagoon, it's one of the few Universal monsters that they own outright. 

I wonder if Shape Of Water killed that from happening for the time being, combined with the collapse of the Dark Universe around that time. That movie even has its origins from a failed Black Lagoon pitch del Toro made years prior.

24 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I wonder if Shape Of Water killed that from happening for the time being, combined with the collapse of the Dark Universe around that time. That movie even has its origins from a failed Black Lagoon pitch del Toro made years prior.

Pretty sure that’s the case? IIRC they were going to have a Creature remake for the Dark Universe with ScarJo. Not sure as the girl or the monster. But…well you know

It's kind of weird that the two big, huge high-profile Frankenstein projects in development right now are at... Netflix, and not Universal. Especially since the one just announced was a remake of Bride, a story developed for the screen by Uni lol

1 minute ago, TMP said:

It's kind of weird that the two big, huge high-profile Frankenstein projects in development right now are at... Netflix, and not Universal. Especially since the one just announced was a remake of Bride, a story developed for the screen by Uni lol

I know about the Del Toro one, but what’s this about a Bride of Frankenstein remake?

Just now, Eric the Turtle said:

I know about the Del Toro one, but what’s this about a Bride of Frankenstein remake?

Maggie Gyllenhaal directing with Bale and Peter Sarsgaard. Would love to see Bale's take on Dr. Pretorius lol, but Bride honestly feels like such a level above the rest of the Universal Monsters stuff that remaking it actually feels like a risk.