kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

That’s horrendous! Maybe they should have just kept it to streaming. DC as a brand is extinct! 

Also this is like the 5th Latino led film to underperform in the last few years (Encanto, ITH, WSS, Rise of the Beasts and now Blue Beetle). Guess Latino leads are just box office poison xD

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Pitt then Smith.

Smith turning down Inception and D'jango has gotta be two of the dumbest rejections of his career, especially since he was starting his decline right around that time.

Like Django isn't the fourth most interesting character in his own movie at best... Will Smith was not getting fake whipped and actually naked for a role, just to have Christoph Waltz steal the movie from him. And someone else would've had to play Calvin Candie,  because they wouldn't have had the budget for Will and Leo.

Inception, on the other hand, is a fascinating what if: it's easy to picture Will excelling with that mix of action and emotion. But who would have played Mal, because 2010 was just 5 years from studios insisting that his love interest couldn't be white (too controversial) or black (limits international appeal), so that's why Eva Mendes was in Hitch. But 2010 was also 5 years away from Will and Margot Robbie in Focus. And if Marion Cotillard isn't in Inception, is she in The Dark Knight Rises?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Latinos in the U.S rather watch Mario, Transformers, and Barbie.

And honestly... respect.

Not really Transformers, just the other two. 

This is the 5th Latino led film in a row to bomb! Encanto, ITH, WSS, Rise of the Beasts, Blue Beetle… Snow White is next (Hunger Games count?)! At this point, if I were Hollywood I’d stop casting Latinos as leads  lol we’re box office poison! And Latinos don’t care about representation either so there’s no point 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

If Superman: Legacy doesn’t outgross Man of Steel then how can it be claimed as a success? And Batman Begins is from a different era completely at this point. The Suicide Squad performed worse than Suicide Squad, Shazam 2 performed worse than Shazam, and Wonder Woman 1984 performed worse than Wonder Woman. Aquaman 2 will likely follow this trend. DC will have no reason to believe a Superman: Legacy 2 will be successful if the first movie underperforms in any way. 

You can’t draw any conclusions from the grosses of either WW84 or The Suicide Squad. Both were massively affected by the pandemic and WB’s day and date streaming decision 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

Latinos outside US too.

I think DC is pretty much a dead brand and the only character they have that can sell is Batman. They should just focus on creating a BCU because nobody care about the other characters 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, El Gato said:

I think DC is pretty much a dead brand and the only character they have that can sell is Batman. They should just focus on creating a BCU because nobody care about the other characters 

This is actually a smarter idea than anything WB’s ever done with a dc shared universe :hahaha:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

This kind of proves that Latinos don't really care about representation right? At least just not "we're supporting anything that represents us" unless it's in idk a Marvel movie or something.

Not speaking for Latinos here. Just as an example. As a Chinese, I do care about representation in Hollywood, but I am not going to go watch every single movie that has an Asian out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Pitt then Smith.

Smith turning down Inception and D'jango has gotta be two of the dumbest rejections of his career, especially since he was starting his decline right around that time.

I actually didn’t know he turned down Inception. He also turned down The Matrix to do Wild Wild West but at least that’s understandable since the Wachowski’s were essentially nobodies at the time and he was working with the same team that made MIB a hit.

Still, the “would-be” of all these roles lol

10 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Not speaking for Latinos here. Just as an example. As a Chinese, I do care about representation in Hollywood, but I am not going to go watch every single movie that has an Asian out there.

which you can see in the demographic breakdown for a film like Snake Eyes.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

This is actually a smarter idea than anything WB’s ever done with a dc shared universe :hahaha:

Yeah make a strong Batman film, introduce Robin (spinoff into Nightwing), introduce a new Robin (spinoff into Red Hood), introduce Batgirl (spin off into a REAL version of BOP), build a Suicide Squad off of the captured Batman villains in Arkham… Joker and Harley could even have their own Bonnie and Clyde type of film and Catwoman could get a proper film this time! Plus a Batman Beyond film with Keaton and Pfeifer returning…  

You can still do Superman and Wonder Woman at lower budgets and I’d try a Teen Titans film as well but after the performances of Green Lantern, Flash, Shazam, Blue Beetle, Black Adam, Constantine…etc the B-listers and below should be off the bench. No more shared universes either 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I don't know, I've never been around Latinos who care about any of that. Like at best they thought it was cool about the water mexicans in Black Panther 2.

I was just kind of making a point about that whole representation thing being more of a white liberal thing (or the latino equivalents of white liberals aka the non-profit joints that bought tickets).

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

But who would have played Mal, because 2010 was just 5 years from studios insisting that his love interest couldn't be white (too controversial) or black (limits international appeal), so that's why Eva Mendes was in Hitch. But 2010 was also 5 years away from Will and Margot Robbie in Focus. And if Marion Cotillard isn't in Inception, is she in The Dark Knight Rises?

I didn't know this about no white and black love interests for Will but makes a lot of sense.

BTW Michelle Yeoh would have killed it as Mal. Also, is losing Cotillard in TDKR a loss? XP We may have also gotten a racially accurate Al Ghul for once.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

This kind of proves that Latinos don't really care about representation right? At least just not "we're supporting anything that represents us" unless it's in idk a Marvel movie or something.

DC credited El Diablo for Latinos driving the original Suicide Squad box office numbers.

And I third the idea of focusing on Batman characters first before jumping to the rest of the DC Universe. That's what they did with animation in the 90s to great success.

*I feel Legacy may be a hit though because there's a Superman/Lois romance meets action anime playing right now on Adult Swim that's doing incredibly well and turning Gen Z into fans of the character. 

34 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Not really Transformers, just the other two. 

This is the 5th Latino led film in a row to bomb! Encanto, ITH, WSS, Rise of the Beasts, Blue Beetle… Snow White is next (Hunger Games count?)! At this point, if I were Hollywood I’d stop casting Latinos as leads  lol we’re box office poison! And Latinos don’t care about representation either so there’s no point 

Encanto was not a bomb, and saying they bombed because of latino leads is a ridiculous notion. These films would all be bombs regardless of the main casts ethnicity.

Edited by DisposedData
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

*I feel Legacy may be a hit though because there's a Superman/Lois romance meets action anime playing right now on Adult Swim that's doing incredibly well and turning Gen Z into fans of the character. 

This is actually a really good point I haven’t thought about. Superman in recent years has gotten an undeserved rep for being a boring superhero, so MAWS is a good opportunity to create new fans that will wanna see him on the big screen too.

• Like 2