kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

Just now, Bob Train said:

Shang-Chi, Wakanda Forever are movies that you might like in the moment, but really never think of them again.

Shang-Chi is fun, Wakanda Forever was boring. It's weird how Wakanda Forever got so much praise + all those Oscar nominations that really should have gone to The Batman instead.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Shang-Chi is fun, Wakanda Forever was boring. It's weird how Wakanda Forever got so much praise + all those Oscar nominations that really should have gone to The Batman instead.

Yeah imagine people thinking differently 😜

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TMP said:

What if Joker 2 gets the big drop everyone's expecting from The MArvels

Not gonna happen if it's at least as good as the original. So far he did everything right, from changing the genre to make it fresh to casting Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn, those are all smart decisions and it should make it stand out again among other cbms.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

And that's why I can not take any of the MCU back and forth shit here seriously.   Shang Chi is damm good and when it came out it got great reviews and audience WOM. If it had not come out at the Peak of the Delta variant it would have done much better and it still did pretty damm good considering all that. 

Still not the best movie with Simu Liu released post pandemic though.

Fs30nU0akAElQTg.jpg

I’m curious what the legs for Blue Beetle will look like. Its target audience really enjoyed it (Latinos gave it a 90%). Kids seemed to really enjoy it too at 99%, the issue comes from the 66/34 male/female split, not as bad as Flash but DC definitely has a female demographic problem, which is odd since back in 2017/2018 they didn’t. 

Surely it shouldn’t get the terrible legs that Shazam 2 and The Flash got

8 minutes ago, El Gato said:

I’m curious what the legs for Blue Beetle will look like. Its target audience really enjoyed it (Latinos gave it a 90%). Kids seemed to really enjoy it too at 99%, the issue comes from the 66/34 male/female split, not as bad as Flash but DC definitely has a female demographic problem, which is odd since back in 2017/2018 they didn’t. 

Surely it shouldn’t get the terrible legs that Shazam 2 and The Flash got

Need a BatSignal, but for a Wonderwoman cameo with the electric guitar

43 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Not to mention the Brazilians, who don't even speak the same language as the rest.

I liked your group of very different people, let me add Gisele Bundchen to the mix.

Agatha being good should do well to be honest, that one makes sense.

Agatha got a show because she had a song become a meme for a week. That show existing is peak "let's greeenlight anything to churn content"

• Like 1

I've skipped 25 pages of discussion so pardon my mid, generic ass take - representation really can help boost a movie, provided the base product clears of bar of interest and quality. See Spider-Verse and Barbie as two excellent examples this summer. But people kinda don't care much about superhero movies anymore in general, they certainly don't care about the generic origin story hero discovers himself superhero movies, and they most definitely don't care about a DC origin story for a brand that is currently at Enron in late 2001 levels of public perception.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Nah, it's more simple, it's a mediocre movie but an all time great opening night theater experience

This is very accurate as a summary of No Way Home and also sums up an understanding of something so few really get in critical evaluation: heterogeneity of spectatorship is not just about personal subjective taste but about context of the very first viewing.

Everyone who had that first weekend experience of NWH saw one thing. Most likely an outrageously awesome blockbuster with memorable shared moments.

Nearly anyone who ever watches NWH and certainly everyone who watches it outside of its specific series of cultural contexts will see a completely different, ok at best and frankly outright bad at worst, movie.

And this differentiation won't go away just by the first group watching the film again but out of context. All the explanation and repeat watches in the world won't rub away the experience of that first viewing - that person's still going to think it's awesome. 

And this to some degree applies to just so many films...but No Way Home was a particularly distinct one.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose