kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

I mean, at the end of the day, is anyone really shocked that Blue Beetle is posting blah numbers? That it isn't opening with like a sub-$15M launch feels like a minor miracle of sorts given how much the studio seemed to be leaving it for dead even before the strikes hobbled movie marketing.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Wow Blue Beetle's brilliant strategy of saying anyone who thinks the trailers look cliched is racist didn't work, superhero movies are absolutely doomed as a result.

I didn't read the directors or actors accusing people from racism for not liking Blue Beetle trailer.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised the studios would use that strategy, but I don't remember seen actors or director making these accusations this time.

• Like 3

i think 2023 will be a more significative year for super hero movies.

Until last year they still were the biggest movies of the year so even if with less money than pre pandemic the conversation was like "but it still the genre people love more to see on a big screen!. There are not alternatives, comedies for women are now a platform thing and historical dramas are for netflix too. People want the bum bum bum on a big screen".

Now barbie 1.5B, Opp 900-1B and no super hero movie in the global top 3 this year. 

This is what will really have an impact on the production for the next years and when hollywood will greenlight less super hero movies. The blue beatles and the shazams will dissapear. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 5

BBs performance is unfortunate.

Latino representation is a very complicated discussion because Latino as a descriptor is a group of people from disparate cultures and literally different races that are being grouped together. I have Puerto-Rican relatives and they apparently have little in common with people from Mexico beyond the fact they all speak the same language. Seriously, Latino includes people like Charlie Sheen to Ricky Martin to Jennifer Lopez to Cardi B to Laz Alonso, it's a very large and frankly completely different people that are being grouped together. It's basically like attempting to group all French speaking people in the US into one group regardless of race or nationality, it really doesn't work. 

This is something that Hollywood will have to keep in mind when trying to tap into the Latino demographic. Representation is great and I will always support it but Hollywood needs to pick its battles. Blue Beetle to me looks more like it's focused on Mexican culture (I haven't seen it yet though, so this is a little speculative on my part) which should have been stated more prominently in its marketing (like Coco) IMO.

7 hours ago, Eric Reyes said:

This might ruffle some feathers, but I'm not even sure if Deadpool 3 is safe from underperforming. It really does feel like even the hardcore fans are sick of the whole entire genre at this point.

I disagree. MoM made $450M OW last year with no China and no confirmed major cameo. If Deadpool is good, the sky is the ceiling for it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Wow Blue Beetle's brilliant strategy of saying anyone who thinks the trailers look cliched is racist didn't work, superhero movies are absolutely doomed as a result.

This never happened.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Canadian actors feel the same as American actors. In the same way that we combine both our BOs 🥴

But they're not

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

I didn't read the directors or actors accusing people from racism for not liking Blue Beetle trailer.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised the studios would use that strategy, but I don't remember seen actors or director making these accusations this time.

Plenty of people online were doing so, not sure if they were studio plants or not.

• Knock It Off 1

48 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well I can chime in a little bit on this representation thing. It's not quite the same as ethnicity but I'm definitely pretty patriotic not just when it comes to movies but sports and music and so on.  I love seeing Canadians do well. Before I knew how much I adored Ryan Reynolds I wanted to see his movies because he was Canadian same as Jim Carrey or Mike Myers, Keanu Reeves, Michael j fox, Rachel Mcadams and so on. So like I said it's not an ethnic or race thing but everybody in one way or another I think enjoy seeing someone of your own kind doing well.

100% agree.

Everyone wants to see their own succeed. 

• Like 1