XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Trouble is RDJ’s team is pushing the post-Oppenheimer ‘3rd act of his career’ narrative (yes, it’s Oscar campaigning, but still), and going back to the marvel fold actively conflicts with that. I was cynical at first but I’d be really surprised if he took the payday now, even in a few years. 

Evans on the other hand…

Edited by Hatebox

Could you imagine a twist where they introduce a Tony variant (starring RDJ) in Secret Wars and he turns out to be a villain in league with Kang a la Superior Iron Man.? Would be cool but somehow I don't think Marvel is in a position to subvert the audience's expectations right now.

• Sad 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, YM! said:

Think Kang Dynasty should still do 1B, feeling moreso around a combined 3B for KD+SW but doubt either will scratch Endgame, maybe not even IW. Something like 1.2/1.8 as it currently stands assuming reception rebounds.

In this saga, in every team-up movie or show (except GOTG3, as it was the original Infinity Saga franchise with a lead still alive), the lead is a female. Eternals, What if, The Marvels, and the upcoming F4 Thunderbolts Young Avengers are also going to be female-led movies. Out of these Eternals, what if and the Marvels already flopped? So the question is: will this trend of "female leads for team-up movies" continue with Avengers movies, or are they going to be exceptions? If the leads of the next two Avengers movies are female, then box office will be much lower than what you're expecting, and even with female leads, box office will vary depending on whether the lead will be Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel or Wanda/Black Panther.

• Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, Willowra said:

In this saga, in every team-up movie or show (except GOTG3, as it was the original Infinity Saga franchise with a lead still alive), the lead is a female. Eternals, What if, The Marvels, and the upcoming F4 Thunderbolts Young Avengers are also going to be female-led movies. Out of these Eternals, what if and the Marvels already flopped? So the question is: will this trend of "female leads for team-up movies" continue with Avengers movies, or are they going to be exceptions? If the leads of the next two Avengers movies are female, then box office will be much lower than what you're expecting, and even with female leads, box office will vary depending on whether the lead will be Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel or Wanda/Black Panther.

Can we not do this?  Don't go down that road please.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

You know what you are doing. Females leads are not why The Eternals underperformed and The Marvels bombed. The downturn of the MCU is not because of too many female leads in the phases 4 and 5 or whatever you are getting at. 

I can't unsee what I'm seeing. The MCU fandom is heavily divided, and large numbers of MCU fans can't stand Captain Marvel. I saw a Reddit post on Marvel Studios that asked a question: Will you watch The Marvels in theaters? 95% of replies were "no," and what was interesting was that there were tons of upvotes on replies like this—I might not even watch it for free on D+. So a large number of MCU fans can't stand Captain Marvel for whatever reason. So people need to check expectations for the next Avengers movies, as there is still no clarity about the lead in these movies.

2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I can't unsee what I'm seeing. The MCU fandom is heavily divided, and large numbers of MCU fans can't stand Captain Marvel. I saw a Reddit post on Marvel Studios that asked a question: Will you watch The Marvels in theaters? 95% of replies were "no," and what was interesting was that there were tons of upvotes on replies like this—I might not even watch it for free on D+. So a large number of MCU fans can't stand Captain Marvel for whatever reason. So people need to check expectations for the next Avengers movies, as there is still no clarity about the lead in these movies.

So what does that have to do with some of the most recent movies underperforming because of a female lead and future ones doing the same. And Reddit. Good god are you F-ing serious. Thanks for all that gibberish. 

16 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

So what does that have to do with some of the most recent movies underperforming because of a female lead and future ones doing the same. And Reddit. Good god are you F-ing serious. Thanks for all that gibberish. 

The marvels with captain Marvel as lead did 200m, how much do you think Avengers with Captain Marvel as lead would make at box office? I would say 600-800m if they do some marketing gimmicks. And definitely box office of this saga shows that female lead movies flopping at box office. So I'm just saying check your expectations as there is no clarity about the lead of Avengers yet.

Edited by Willowra
  • Knock It Off 1

The marvels with captain Marvel as lead did 200m, how much do you think Avengers with Captain Marvel as lead would make at box office? I would say 600-800m if they do some marketing gimmicks. And definitely box office of this saga shows that female lead movies flopping at box office. So I'm just saying check your expectations as there is no clarity about the lead of Avengers yet.

Avengers: Endgame overseas opening weekend ($866M) > Avengers: The Kang Dynasty worldwide total ;)

Edited by HummingLemon496

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Avengers: Endgame overseas opening weekend ($866M) > Avengers: The Kang Dynasty worldwide total ;)

I actually have no problem if next Avengers movies are female leads & if they do just 600-700m at box office but it should do atleast this much as female lead movies deserve audience just like male lead movies.

6 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

this definitely feels like what’s happening. The rumors of SSU and MCU combining in the future and Tom Holland recent quote makes me suspicious 

Feige literally has been sticking multiverse stuff into every MCU film. This just seems fan wanky to me with big evil corporate Sony and good guy Disney.

9 hours ago, emoviefan said:

You know what you are doing. Females leads are not why The Eternals underperformed and The Marvels bombed. The downturn of the MCU is not because of too many female leads in the phases 4 and 5 or whatever you are getting at. 

Well, I wouldn't say female leads are the reason why the MCU brand is in a poor state. There are many reasons for the current situation.

However, it's true that the main audience for superhero movies are men, while studios have miserably failed in trying to attract women in the genre.

Now, male audience could flock to female lead action movies, but that doesn't seem so common.

Edited by Kon

As much as it annoys me to say, I do acknowledge that these all female team up films absolutely don't sale. Ghostbusters 2016, Charlie's Angels 2019, Terminator Dark Fate, Birds of Prey and The Marvels all either disappointed in Birds of Prey case or outright bombed, in all of the other films case. Female led action adventure movies do have more of an uphill climb but they can sale as evidenced by The Hunger Games franchise, Wonder Woman and yes Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel 2 with a mix gender team up like Thor Ragnarok had might not have saved the film because the bad MCU movies hurting the franchise would still exist but it might have helped matters more. 

The idea that Sue being the star of FF will harm the film is silly. Most of that team is made up of men and cool men at that. That's not even remotely similar to the films that I mentioned. Same with that Suicide Squad knock off and Captain America 4, which is starring a man. And indeed Eternals did not flop because it was starring a woman. It flopped because was boring and the film never convinced audiences that the Eternals not fighting Thanos made any sense. Marvel dropped the ball on Captain Marvel 2 with creative decisions that don't sale. They did everything wrong. 

• Like 2