XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

17 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

As ever I’m not the target audience, but all this talk of Kang Dynasty, Secret Wars, or whatever it’s called now, reminds me of DCEU hubris in assuming audiences will just show up for the big team up movies because… they just will, dammit. 

...the difference is there have been tons of team up movies before now? This is the fifth Avengers movie, not the first.

This makes me excited for a number of reasons.

One: Magneto is great but he's very, very, very overplayed. He's great, but you can only get so many versions of him and Xavier playing chess and saying "were friends but I will stop your methods" and etc.

Two: Sinister. Rules. There's a lot that they can do with him.

Three: It's been said before and I'll repeat it here - THE BEST X-MEN ARE WOMEN. It's not a coincidence so many of Marvels most iconic and famous female characters are also mutants. I'm hopeful that Cyclops will finally, finally get some kind of due, but not having the focus be Wolverine AGAIN alone is a step in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

One: Magneto is great but he's very, very, very overplayed. He's great, but you can only get so many versions of him and Xavier playing chess and saying "were friends but I will stop your methods" and etc.

Three: It's been said before and I'll repeat it here - THE BEST X-MEN ARE WOMEN. It's not a coincidence so many of Marvels most iconic and famous female characters are also mutants. I'm hopeful that Cyclops will finally, finally get some kind of due, but not having the focus be Wolverine AGAIN alone is a step in the right direction.

I was gonna say - if Mr. Sinister is the villain, Cyclops should be the lead...they have the best interactions in the comics...

11 hours ago, excel1 said:

I think it is clear multiverse live action films, NWH aside, have been very confusing.

Keep it simple, cast Josh Hartnett as Dr. Doom, and go back to the roots. 

I just don’t think it’s very appealing and the stakes actually feel lower.  NWH home was huge because of nostalgia.  If there had been 2 other variants also played by Tom Holland that movie probably makes less than half of what it actually did.  

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Can't help but feel Sinister is being chosen because both Feige and Iger are gutless at tackling the political themes that X-Men is fundamentally about. That said Sinister is a nice change of pace and is pretty cool as a villain. Do hope they still put in Magneto in other installments because he's a key component to the story.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, YM! said:

Can't help but feel Sinister is being chosen because both Feige and Iger are gutless at tackling the political themes that X-Men is fundamentally about. That said Sinister is a nice change of pace and is pretty cool as a villain. Do hope they still put in Magneto in other installments because he's a key component to the story.

I don't really think that not being Magneto means they can't do that necessarily. Sinister is a human after all.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it’s funny how bad they tried to make Majors a star. They were acting like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread earlier this year 

Well he did have an Oscar contender with his name on it. The issues with Majors people had wasn't his acting. The problem is him being a piece of shit.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Depends how they handle the female characters.

Do they give the flaws and personality like in the old x-men movies or make them into current MCU female heros that are bland and perfect. 

11 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

A fitting end for one of the biggest jobbers this franchise has ever seen. The decision to have him get beaten by Ant-Man and his army of ants pretty much killed him as a big bad. No one is going to ever take him seriously after that. And with Loki's ending leaving them with a convenient out, I'll join the camp who wants Kang gone entirely and Avengers 5 to be something else. Maybe a fight between the main world and the Illuminati world ending with Loki Who Remains rebooting everything and taking on the Beyonder role in Secret Wars, assuming that still gets made after all this. Hopefully James Gunn and his team are paying very close attention and taking plenty of notes so that their franchise never suffers a downfall like Marvel has.

That's....

actually not a bad idea at all. It would simply be a logical continuation to the events happening in Doctor Strange 2, and Loki was the most popular MCU show anyway so it makes sense he would play a key role. The only issue is that this needs Dr.Doom (Secret Wars can't be made without Doom, that would be just extra dumb), and he hasn't been introduced yet, and he needs to be for it to work.

edit: it's also doubly working because with the Multiverse, most people are criticizing the story for having no consequences. Multiverse = anything can happen, so it's boring. Well this storyline would affirm: Things HAVE consequences, Wanda and Strange messed up with the Multiverse in DS2 and now wwe have 2 universes fighting and it's happening only because of their actions. Consequences... which the MCU sorely needs right now.

Edited by Daxtreme

And it's not like Feige is unaware of the mutant metaphor or anything, he worked on the original X-Men films. And the first X-Men project Marvel Studios actually worked on he gave to a black gay man specifically because of the allegories mutants have been stand ins for in the past, at least according to the showrunner.

Which ironically also has Sinister as the main villain.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Well he did have an Oscar contender with his name on it. The issues with Majors people had wasn't his acting. The problem is him being a piece of shit.

Oscar contenders don't matter as much as getting an actual Oscar nomination. He had a contender but was never guaranteed to get a nomination. Plenty of Oscar contenders have fell flat on their face. His talent isn't in question but I think it is fair to say that the extreme hype surrounding him sometimes verged on over the top. A lot of heavily hyped newcomers/break out actors have gotten a lot of crap over the hype but for some reason he didn't. I guess he just got lucky.

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Depends how they handle the female characters.

Do they give the flaws and personality like in the old x-men movies or make them into current MCU female heros that are bland and perfect. 

Besides Captain Marvel, does this apply to anyone? (Captain Marvel is not bland and perfect in the first movie)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Besides Captain Marvel, does this apply to anyone? (Captain Marvel is not bland and perfect in the first movie)

Depends Jean Gray and storm in the last 2 x-men movies was lame and J-Law was really dialing it in.

Ironically i found Olivan Munn Psylock the best out of Apocalyse and Dark Phoneix 

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Well the x men has a plethra of great female characters . With the right team and some good marketing . It can do pretty well

Fine with magneto and Xavier sitting out. 

Wolverine for the sequels

Just give cyclops more to do. Have him be the main male lead. 

If they fuck it up once again we'll it's on them.

Rogue was shafted so much in the X-Men movies. She is a great character that has immense potential. She's supposed to have a playful relationship with Gambit, fly around and just generally be proactive and really involved in things, not whatever the hell the X-Men movies made her to be.

Hopefully they do her right this time around.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Rogue was shafted so much in the X-Men movies. She is a great character that has immense potential. She's supposed to have a playful relationship with Gambit, fly around and just generally be proactive and really involved in things, not whatever the hell the X-Men movies made her to be.

Hopefully they do her right this time around.

Rogue in the X-men cartoon from the 90s was my favorite.

• Like 1