XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I like to think 2025 will either be the year where superhero movies get a second wind or the year they officially die out. No in-between. 

I don’t think they’ll die out but I can see the genre going back to pre-2012 levels if 2025 goes poorly (I.E. being carried by Batman and Spider-Man).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Be honest a lot of comic book movies are being destroyed by bad storywriting.

The storywriting is

1. Pissing off the fanbases

2. Making for lazy uninteresting stories.

I dont know we saw it the new star war movies and game of thrones. Like Arya stabing the night king in one scene killed game of thrones lol 

On 12/31/2023 at 10:23 PM, Torontofan said:

I dont know we saw it the new star war movies and game of thrones. Like Arya stabing the night king in one scene killed game of thrones lol 

I have a strong feeling that some of the weird story shifts in the final season are because they're working off cliff notes for the actual upcoming books. Arya being the one to kill the Night King and Bran being king at the end are weird in the show but make more sense if they were on a bullet point list from Martin of "these are the things that are 100 percent going to happen in the book"

There's a new report going around that Colman Domingo is in the running for Kang. I could see him in the role but if they're recasting Kang it seems odd to pivot away from the Kang Dynasty title.

Edited by SpiderByte

25 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I have a strong feeling that some of the weird story shifts in the final season are because they're working off cliff notes for the actual upcoming books. Arya being the one to kill the Night King and Bran being king at the end are weird in the show but make more sense if they were on a bullet point list from Martin of "these are the things that are 100 percent going to happen in the book"

There's a new report going around that Colman Domingo is in the running for Kang. I could see him in the role but if they're recasting Kang it seems odd to pivot away from the Kang Dynasty title.

In the late 2010s there was this trend from writers to subert expectitions and meant doing things that were random instead of indulging fans.

Somtiems it works as it keeps things interesting but arya killing the night king could have worked but it felt anti climatic.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't want to be mean but I'm fairly certain some of the choices in the final season were made because they just cast the wrong 10 year old in GOT S1. Bran's actor just failed to do the (difficult) job of conveying the "shaman" stuff (especially nonverbal warfare/engagement with the trees/memory). On top of that, the showrunners disliked "the magic stuff" so sidelining it wasn't a huge leap. 

Arya being the one to kill the Night King

The Night King also doesn't exist in the books (and it seems very likely Kings Landing  was supposed to be resolved before the final battle in the north). 

Spoiler

It would explain the weirdness of the wight hunt + how they tried to work around removing the Aegon storyline

I do think a lot of it comes down to the actual showrunners but I do think they had to stick to specific plot points in books that don't exist yet.

More on topic, the more I look at his stuff the more I think he's a very good choice. Though the question now is the scope of Kangs role.

Edit: oh yeah it's him lol

Edited by SpiderByte

4 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I don't want to be mean but I'm fairly certain some of the choices in the final season were made because they just cast the wrong 10 year old in GOT S1. Bran's actor just failed to do the (difficult) job of conveying the "shaman" stuff (especially nonverbal warfare/engagement with the trees/memory). On top of that, the showrunners disliked "the magic stuff" so sidelining it wasn't a huge leap. 

The Night King also doesn't exist in the books (and it seems very likely Kings Landing  was supposed to be resolved before the final battle in the north). 

Hide contents

It would explain the weirdness of the wight hunt + how they tried to work around removing the Aegon storyline

I mean they did though they made Bran and the night king have a huge connection and it lead to nothing 

There's some people speculating this is related to the David Choe stuff...I don't really think so. Yeun isn't the one who made those comments and it wouldn't have affected Thunderbolts in any way. Plus they kept all the other people from Beef that got hired to this so if they're fine idk why Yeun would be impacted by that.

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

There's some people speculating this is related to the David Choe stuff...I don't really think so. Yeun isn't the one who made those comments and it wouldn't have affected Thunderbolts in any way. Plus they kept all the other people from Beef that got hired to this so if they're fine idk why Yeun would be impacted by that.

I wonder if Robert Kirkman indirectly confirming his casting as Sentry cost him the job. We know Marvel will do anything to protect those precious spoilers, quality be damned.

32 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I wonder if Robert Kirkman indirectly confirming his casting as Sentry cost him the job. We know Marvel will do anything to protect those precious spoilers, quality be damned.

I really don't think that's the issue, especially since Yeun said he was in the movie publicly already (though he didn't say who).

It's likely what it's being reported as: the production delays post strike meant that they couldn't work out the new schedule with his.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It will be hilarious in the very realistic likelihood this is not the worst superhero movie of all time that people on here have convinced themselves it will be.

I don't think nobody expect Thunderbolts to be the worst superhero movie of all time. They just expect it to be another box office flop.

Honestly, I've better expectatives than many people for this movie, but it isn't surprising this team doesn't inspire confidence.

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yeun's agent can smell the flop coming.

No surprise with that cast of characters. Marvel ran out of superstars to team up (for every NWH we get Thor and...Jane...and Valkyrie and... CM and TV nobodies, etc) and of Z listers with A list potential (GOTG). Now it's just Z list being Z list. 

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I think this year will show declaring the MCU dead before they get a crack at the X-Men is incredibly premature.

With what? Deadpool? That’s like saying No Way Home’s success guaranteed The Marvels would do well