XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Sneider says that the issue wasn't with Demayos work, but because he was insufferable to work with. I trust Sneider because he is an expert on being that type of person.

Disney also didn't love his Onlyfans but it seems his conduct was the bigger concern.

Edited by SpiderByte

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Shoulda put in the Agatha wink gif just for double levels of irony. ;) 

aksually think that will surprise folks with how popular it'll be.  Only real roadblock, IMO, is the length of time between WandaVision and whatever the latest name of this series is.  But Agatha was... Yeah, I'll say a breakout character.  Or near to it.

There's always going to be some level of diminishing returns for a spinoff of a spinoff (see various SW projects). So don't get me wrong, I'm not talking massive numbers.  But do think there will be an audience here.   At least a potential one.

She was a “breakout” on a show that came out three years ago, when the MCU had a lot more goodwill than it does now. Do people at this point even remember the meme that went viral back when the show was still running? 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

She was a “breakout” on a show that came out three years ago, when the MCU had a lot more goodwill than it does now. Do people at this point even remember the meme that went viral back when the show was still running? 

Yes?

(I see it often enough at least)

2 hours ago, Reed121 said:

I’m betting there will not be a Black Panther 3 starring Shuri or the son they made up either.

To clarify, the son is a remnant of the "Boseman Black Panther 2" which uses "the snap/blip" to tell an adventure story of a man connecting with a son whose early years he missed. Coogler's talked pretty directly about this and it explains the weirdness of how it remains shoehorned into the post-credits scene. There's a clear emotional core to the character which is radically altered by Boseman's sudden passing. 

I don't know what their ideas are for BP3 but I just highly doubt that Disney's going to completely veto whatever Coogler's vision is for a third Black Panther film. There really is a lot of money riding on selling continuity in the BP franchise rather than a reboot. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

And I am not sure Agatha will work as a main charecter.

I am curious jto see how it is, though. 

Question is how much did they spend on it. Since I assume  it will pretty much be a comedy,it should not cost as much as some of the Disney Plus series.

17 hours ago, John Marston said:

the comments on the thread on the Marvel studios subreddit about Eternals 2, Captain Marvel 3 and Ant-Man 3 likely not being made are pretty damn funny. Ranging from "but Thor 2 got a sequel!", "It was because the cast couldn't go on talk shows", "it flopped because of streaming", "the merchandising in the real source of money", "movies in general aren't making money" and "did you know The Shawshank Redemption was a flop when it came out?"

And, of course, none of these "fans" have npt the slightest idea of the realities of the business world .  Making a sequal to a film the bailed makes no sense. And Disney Studios does not have money to throw around like it once did 

I know this is not a popular thing to say, but Feige does not seem to be adjusting to the new reaiity: The Marvel Studios brand no longer guarantees Box Office sucess, and he has to pick his projects more carefully. Making a sequal to  Eternals 2 makes no sense.

Count me on the side of the Bean Counters in this one.

BTW, I presume you meant Ant Man 4, not 3. But you are fight, a sequel to Ant Man 4  makes less sense then Eternals w.

Not that the charecters need to vanish they can' still be aorund, just not have solo films.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Making a show because of a meme is insane 

If they made Agatha for a modest amoun ot money, it is worth taking a chance on. I am a big fan of  katherine Hahn, and the show is going to prerry much ride on her .

But if they overspent..which Marvel has a tendacy to do,it might be a bad gamble.

problem is you have people who are going to cheerlead for  andy Marvel project.

BTW I think a Agatha Harkness charecter makes a bit more sense then some of the scheduled shows. In the new reality of Marvel/Disney having less money to spend, I suspect there will be fewer shows based on really obscure charecters.

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

To clarify, the son is a remnant of the "Boseman Black Panther 2" which uses "the snap/blip" to tell an adventure story of a man connecting with a son whose early years he missed. Coogler's talked pretty directly about this and it explains the weirdness of how it remains shoehorned into the post-credits scene. There's a clear emotional core to the character which is radically altered by Boseman's sudden passing. 

I don't know what their ideas are for BP3 but I just highly doubt that Disney's going to completely veto whatever Coogler's vision is for a third Black Panther film. There really is a lot of money riding on selling continuity in the BP franchise rather than a reboot. 

Coogler is making a vampire film with Michael B. Jordan. I think he and Disney will mutually part ways because Black Panther is not making a lot of money again without T’Challa. They’ll reboot if they make another one.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Why? Black Panther 2 didn't do badly or get bad reviews. It wasn't as big as the first but clearly Disney is very happy with the Black Panther franchise.

A third Black Panther cannot rely on Chadwick Boseman, T’Challa or the goodwill of the 1st movie. I don’t think Disney will risk giving 200 million to make another Black Panther movie not starring T’Challa especially after Captain Marvel’s box office performance. A lot of Black Panther/Marvel fans and casuals are simply not watching another Black Panther movie without T’Challa

Edited by Reed121

18 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

A third Black Panther cannot rely on Chadwick Boseman, T’Challa or the goodwill of the 1st movie. I don’t think Disney will risk giving 200 million to make another Black Panther movie not starring T’Challa especially after Captain Marvel’s box office performance. A lot of Black Panther/Marvel fans and casuals are simply not watching another Black Panther movie without T’Challa

Are you just unaware there was already a Black Panther movie that didn't have him in it 

37 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Coogler is making a vampire film with Michael B. Jordan. I think he and Disney will mutually part ways because Black Panther is not making a lot of money again without T’Challa. They’ll reboot if they make another one.

I don't really get how people think that. It's just trivially easy to see the deep well of goodwill Black Panther 1 created for "Wakanda" and that's clearly carried over past BP2. Just listen to people talk. The comparison to Captain Marvel doesn't work.

That being said, I agree that BP2 didn't really succeed in elevating Shuri to a "tentpole" figure. I think the more obvious answer is simply that a third Black Panther/Wakanda film isn't fast-tracked but that they're looking for something that could recreate the original film's interest. Disney is just very obviously interested in making another big tentpole Wakanda film. If they pushed out BP3, it's not going to make 700M Domestic...but if you think it's going to make 85M Domestic (Marvels) or even 190M, I'd love a piece of whatever you're smoking. 

20 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Are you just unaware there was already a Black Panther movie that didn't have him in it 

To be fair, that film had a significant box office drop off from Black Panther. The positive interpretation positions it more like a spinoff than a sequel.

14 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I don't really get how people think that. It's just trivially easy to see the deep well of goodwill Black Panther 1 created for "Wakanda" and that's clearly carried over past BP2. Just listen to people talk. The comparison to Captain Marvel doesn't work.

That being said, I agree that BP2 didn't really succeed in elevating Shuri to a "tentpole" figure. I think the more obvious answer is simply that a third Black Panther/Wakanda film isn't fast-tracked but that they're looking for something that could recreate the original film's interest. Disney is just very obviously interested in making another big tentpole Wakanda film. If they pushed out BP3, it's not going to make 700M Domestic...but if you think it's going to make 85M Domestic (Marvels) or even 190M, I'd love a piece of whatever you're smoking. 

Disney is going to gt much more selective about which Marvle Movies they will fund. And Feige is finding out that after the string of MCU boc office disapointments, he won't get an almost automatic grenelight for his proposols the way he used to.

I think they will be a third Wakanda movie, but they are going to take some time with the screenplay to gry to correct the flaws with BP2.

I am one of those who think that the death of Boseman was a major blow to the MCU, they , after his huge sucess in BP, had him inked in as the next Tony Stark in terms of poulairty and being a tentpole for the whole franchise.

Edited by dudalb

Winderbaum on Demayo:

"I can't talk about the details," Winderbaum tells EW in an interview, "but I can say that Beau had real respect and passion for these characters and wrote what I think are excellent scripts that really the rest of the team were able to draw inspiration from [to] build this amazing show that's on screen. 

Asked if he would categorize the parting of ways as a firing, he says, "I don't. 'We parted ways' is the best way I could say."

https://ew.com/x-men-97-beau-demayo-firing-marvel-animation-responds-8609643

This does sound a lot more diplomatic than if he were about to face, say, criminal allegations or something. sounds more like he was just difficult to work with.

In a new interview Winderbaum confirmed that the reason for the Disney+ delays was that when Disney+ first launched there was a big push across the company to make as much stuff for it as fast as possible, and now under Iger (he didn't say because Iger but...we all know it's Iger) the new rule is to space out the releases more. Also confirmed X-Men 97 is already working on Season 3