XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Hmmmm....

On 12/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, SpiderByte said:

A new synopsis for an in development animated project:

"UNTITLED MARVEL ANIMATED SHOW

They mention Anime as an influence on this show.

Mention it will have a diverse group of leads. Logline: A clandestine group of ancient cosmic beings living undercover on Earth are trying to protect the world without being discovered by humans. They find themselves entangled in a cosmic battle that could reshape the fate of the universe."

Now it's worth noting that a synopsis had also leaked (from the same person) a while back for what wound up being Eyes of Wakanda, where basically the synopsis was the same but instead of Wakandans going out to get artifacts it was aliens, so they do change things to obfuscate the actual project.

That being said, at face value...this sounds a lot like Eternals. Which would line up with the reports of some sort of Eternals sequel happening if they were going to do it as an animated series.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

On 3/16/2024 at 3:22 PM, SpiderByte said:

Hmmmm....

On 3/16/2024 at 3:22 PM, SpiderByte said:

Hmmmm....

If ture, then transformed from a 200 Million dollar movie to a inexpensive animated show.

26 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If ture, then transformed from a 200 Million dollar movie to a inexpensive animated show.

Not the worst plan honestly. Though the fact that the synopsis says on Earth makes me think it's a prequel about their time on earth

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Not the worst plan honestly. Though the fact that the synopsis says on Earth makes me think it's a prequel about their time on earth

Agreed, but it's apretty big step down.

But Disney just cannot affford to throw money around like the have in the past6. Feige iis going to have to relise he is not going to get any project he comes up with greelighted, like has been the case in the past. The failure of a number of MCU projects has takenthat away from him.

Since this thread is talking about Eternals

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-brand-marketing-campaign-lexus-la-rams-mcdonalds-geico-1234868393/

It wasn't Spider-Man but Marvel really did put a lot of eggs in the Eternals basket. I really think a fun question is to try and figure out the relative blame for Eternals v. Thor 4 versus Ant-Man 3 in the current status of the MCU.

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Since this thread is talking about Eternals

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-brand-marketing-campaign-lexus-la-rams-mcdonalds-geico-1234868393/

It wasn't Spider-Man but Marvel really did put a lot of eggs in the Eternals basket. I really think a fun question is to try and figure out the relative blame for Eternals v. Thor 4 versus Ant-Man 3 in the current status of the MCU.

I say this as an outsider, but I will say I was always... concerned might be a strong word, but did feel that Eternals was going to be an important pivot point/test of the drawing power of the more... esoteric aspects of Marvel Comics.  The whole Celestials metaplot and everything surrounding it I felt was going to be a challenge to sell to the GA.

Mind, considering all the success they were coming off of, not to mention nailing GOTG, I wasn't a doomer about it or anything.  But I looked ahead and I presumed a lot was gonna ride on the reception of Eternals

Then NWH hype overtook everything else.  

Ultimately I do think the Multiverse Saga not... landing as well as it could have is the real culprit.  A fascinating What If is What if Doc Strange 2 came out BEFORE No Way Home, as originally planned (this presumes no COVID, naturally).  How many dominoes start falling because of reset expectations/execution on the Multiverse?  Hell, how much does No COVID (which is a requirement, IMO) cause?  I think a lot personally.

Still, Eternals... not clicking as well as it could have I think upset a different apple cart and, maybe put some cracks in the foundation is the right way to put it.

I don’t think Eternals failing to hit (and for that matter Thor 4) are really the biggest factors that have landed the MCU in its current state. That road leads directly through MoM and Ant 3. MoM had insane hype and even Ant 3 to a lesser extent. Both of those films promised to push the Multiverse Saga story forward but mostly didn’t. Both films ran bait and switch marketing campaigns that hurt the brand. They were also varying degrees of bad. 

Eternals and Thor 4 were definitely chinks in the MCU armor but much the way Guardians 3 being great didn’t help the brand that much, both are too incidental to the overall plot to hurt as much as the two movies that were supposed to anchor this saga. This is especially true in the absence of Avengers films to provide the MCU cohesion and signal to audiences what characters are supposed to be key to this story. 

X-Men 97 is a magic trick. Somehow staying completely true to what the original show was while updating it for a more grown up and current audience. Its delivering twists at an incredible speed but at the same time giving most of the characters time to breath in the story. The civil rights themes are also handled really well and the show somehow feels more prescient than ever. It's nice to see that they're not shying away from the inherently political nature of this team. I hope they can keep this up through the whole season.

Spoiler

Sexy Gambit dialed up to 11 and a Rogue/Gambit/Magneto love triangle. There are no words.

I wasn't born when the original X-Men cartoon came out in 92 (It predates me by literally 2 months) and never watched this; This new one is really entertaining.

Edited by Morieris

Great start to Xmen 97..The xmen franchise works way better..in a world with no Avengers and other heroes that people celebrate and then for some odd reason hate on mutants..

• Like 1

Yes X men 97 is damn good so far and probably the best Marvel product since Infinity War. 

I also love how they are continuing off the 90s show and remaining faithful to it but taking it in an even more mature direction. Hope more older shows get that treatment 

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I think Deadpool and 97 will show that the decline of the X-Men overall under Fox does not mean they can't also be big under Disney

Lol The last FOX Deadpool movie was a R rated film that made almost 800 mill in May 2018..What decline?

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 1:09 PM, Torontofan said:

Funny shit is people complaining Rogue is not drawn like a stripper anymore

🤣

Rogue wasn't drawn like a stripper. She uses the same suit.

They are angry because her body doesn't look so volutptuous anymore.

Edited by Kon