XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Avengers 5 WW under 1 Billion confirmed?

At some point, I will no longer look so as to not get Second Hand Embarrassment, but alas nothing good ever lasts forever. 

An ancient Greek philosopher that went by the name of Harvus Dentimus once said

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Avengers 5 WW under 1 Billion confirmed?

Nah, she won’t be the leader nor lead of it. Also, just think of Hulk as a supporting character and how well he works, but he didn’t work well as a main character. I’m thinking they can do the same with Carol if the writing is good obviously.

Star-Lord and Doctor Strange will be the leaders and Peter will be a lead as well, not a leader though.

5 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

At this point I think Venom 3 will outgross Kang Dynasty unless they pull some originals or Deadpool into it.

I’m betting he’ll play a small role in whatever the next Avengers movie is to be honest. Small though.

27 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

At this point I think Venom 3 will outgross Kang Dynasty unless they pull some originals or Deadpool into it.

This would have been taken as a foolish joke in the past.

However, after The Marvels showed us how low the MCU brand power can fall, nothing would surprise me anymore.

That said, if they include Spider-Man in Kang Dynasty, it could always help.

Edited by Kon

I know this isn't a Marvel vs DC thread but DC can't possibly be happy with The Marvels flopping like this?

I mean, outside of fans of course. DC fans are probably over the moon. But DC as a studio are probably worried by this. 

This is a bad omen for the genre, and for them by extension. A rising tide rises all ships and all that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Would be funny if Venom 3 outgrosses every MCU movie releasing in between DP3 and Kang Dynasty.

And yet the Venom movies so far have been just as badly hacked up studio mandated messes as The Marvels and other recent MCU movies.People and their selectivity with this stuff.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I know this isn't a Marvel vs DC thread but DC can't possibly be happy with The Marvels flopping like this?

I mean, outside of fans of course. DC fans are probably over the moon. But DC as a studio are probably worried by this. 

This is a bad omen for the genre, and for them by extension. A rising tide rises all ships and all that.

Its a massive problem for everyone. I think only Sony can really feel good right now as clearly Spider-Man is still a draw and even if it struggles in the theatre its pumping huge profits for Playstation by having exclusive rights.

DC made some right calls though. Pulled the plug on existing Superman/Wonder Woman (both not easy decisions imo) and obviously killing off things like Batgirl. Gunn has talked about a lot of things but I don't think its as set in stone as you might expect. 

The 'additional' Batman is something that needs cut though. Just use Reeves as the Batman series, it did fairly well especially when you look at how other films have been performing. I would instead create a Superman universe so have Superman and Supergirl interreacting and put other characters like Wonder Woman into that.

Leave Batman cross over until Reeves is done. It was dumb to want two franchises at once (and frankly insulting to Pattinson) even when things looked rosy but now it just looks extra dumb.

Below is actually a super (wink wink) slate if you do that:

- Joker 2

- Superman: Legacy [Rework this title though]

- The Batman 2

- Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow [Rework this title though]

Can anyone really tell me that a connected universe would help this slate? 

Only commission the sequels when the results come in. Have the TV shows interact with themselves with only Daredevil esque cameos to the films. Job done.

A problem for Marvel and DC is that their own quality will make a difference but actually the quality of the wider superhero market will impact them. If Marvel keep shitting the bed then DC will be hit and if DC fail at launch it will hit Marvel.

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

And yet the Venom movies so far have been just as badly hacked up studio mandated messes as The Marvels and other recent MCU movies.People and their selectivity with this stuff.

Audiences like Venom and Tom Hardy, they make people laugh. Thats its draw and its still surprising to me people can't accept theres different reasons films do well. Venom 3 will likely tie further into Spider-Man with a potential cross over for Spiderman 4. It will do well.

• Like 4

nobody cares about Kang

nobody cares about Falcon Cap

nobody cares about Thunderbolts

nobody cares about Young Avengers

nobody cares about the Eternals

Marvel is fucked

13 hours ago, Halberstram said:

killing her off to set up the threat like Loki in Infinity War or having her powers sucked by Rogue in the X-Men movie are the only ways to go with this character

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 3