Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

3 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

What are the zoomers into nowadays? What events do they congregate at? 

Its still comic book movies, the hype just isnt as crazy as it was from 2016-2021. Now we skip CBMs and don't feel obligated to watch them. 

Gen Alpha is probably going to be Video game films

37 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Y'all should have never nibbled on the MI7 and Indiana Jones bait.  The only reason they are being brought up is to try to minimize what is happening with 'The Marvels' and it's not even the same stratosphere.  

'The Marvels' if it doesn't grow some serious legs is going to be one of the biggest Hollywood flops of all time.  There's no minimizing it.  

I mean, Indy is somewhat comparable though to TM… especially with that eye watering budget. MI is obviously playing “one of these things is not like the others” and yeah definitely bait. 

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Mi7 lost the studio money. How is that not a flop? Am I missing something?

290*2.5x = $725M

$725M-$70M = $655M

That's a $100M loss

I’m not sure that’s the correct way to consider the $70M insurance payout. 

If you look at it as reducing the $290M budget, then break even using the 2.5x rule comes out to $550M. 

That being said, bomb or not, it’s a waste of everyone’s time arguing about the BO performance of a movie that came out 4 months ago. Marvels is the star of the bomb show right now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

290*2.5x = $725M

$725M-$70M = $655M

That's a $100M loss

It got a $71m insurance payout due to the pandemic so the budget is lower than that. 

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-insurance-payout-71-million/

• Like 1

A couple tiktok videos would have saved the complete apathy general audiences have for this?  My God...  movies flop.  MCU actually had a couple flops in Phase 1.  It's okay.  They survived.  It happens.  Batman had a serious flop back in the 90s. It didn't kill off the character for WB.  It happens.  

22 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

290*2.5x = $725M

$725M-$70M = $655M

That's a $100M loss

In this case, I would say that the budget was:

(290M - 71M) = 219M. So the movie itself didnt lose them money because they had insurance. I see the insurance as a discount from the production budget and that is why I dont consider it a flop but rather a disappointment.

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-insurance-payout-71-million/

Edited by Bob-omb
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, YachtyLogs said:

Was on a marvel board and everyone was saying "Its because FNAF had a lot of hype and a built in fan base!" as if Marvel didn't used to have the former and currently has the latter. 

Exactly.

Some people act as The Marvels doesn't depend on brand power. That's the main point of attraction for MCU movies.

That's why actors promotion wouldn't have a serious influence on the box office.

35 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

That's not accurate, really.  It was expected for several weeks because of our trackers here who do great work.  The trades had this opening to north of $80M just a couple weeks ago and even this week they only dropped the projection to $65-70M. 

Prior to tracking, many expected this to be big because a lot of people were calculating that the Infinity War/Endgame bump was overblown. 

Yeah, a bomb of this magnitude was not expected. Most reasonable people were expecting a big drop off from the first movie (maybe as low as $500-$600M), but not THIS big of a drop off. 

Edited by Squire
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean, Indy is somewhat comparable though to TM… especially with that eye watering budget. MI is obviously playing “one of these things is not like the others” and yeah definitely bait. 

Even that is different though because Indiana Jones put some people in seats.  It sold some tickets.  It didn't sell anywhere near what it needed to in order to save it from losing millions of dollars but it did sell some tickets.  The Marvels is going to struggle to get past $200M.  I think it's a different level of failure. 

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The Flash was also paraded around by Warner Brothers as a high quality game-changer of a film.

As for this film? Both Disney and Marvel have been quiet about this film, only doing the bare minimum to promote it.

nope. . Disney went all out marketing this thing with numerous adds and promotions

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Even that is different though because Indiana Jones put some people in seats.  It sold some tickets.  It didn't sell anywhere near what it needed to in order to save it from losing millions of dollars but it did sell some tickets.  The Marvels is going to struggle to get past $200M.  I think it's a different level of failure. 

The Marvels will need a miracle to avoid being the biggest box office bomb of all time, so yeah nothing is a perfect comp here. I just mean Indy was a massive money loser too. 

2 minutes ago, Squire said:

Yeah, a bomb of this magnitude was not expected. Most reasonable people were expecting a big drop off from the first movie (maybe as low as $500-$600M), but not THIS big of a drop off. 

Exactly. If you asked me six months ago I would have said $600M or in that ballpark.  I felt it would do better than Ant-Man 3 but maybe not as well as the latest Thor movie.  But I likely would have also said hey maybe if reviews are glowing it can get to $700M.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Marvels will need a miracle to avoid being the biggest box office bomb of all time, so yeah nothing is a perfect comp here. I just mean Indy was a massive money loser too. 

No doubt and it's not the first failure under Kathleen at LucasFilm either.  Lightyear and some other Pixar movies have been pretty big money losers lately too.  All Disney.  

Instead of looking at Feige,  maybe more people should be questioning Bob Iger. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think we should see if The Marvels can get past its giant 270M budget. In order to "objectively" end up better than Indy, it must do more than 1.25 times its budget (Indianas BO 375M)/(I5 budget 300M = 1.25). Therefore, 270M The Marvels budget * 1.25 = 337.5M. If it ends up too far below from that multiplier, I would totally agree with you.  I belive that you are right but we have to wait (maybe walkups will save this movie like they did with the Flash KEKW)

Edited by Bob-omb