Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Just now, DInky said:

Does it really matter if they release it in 2024 or 2025?

Yes. It’s already unprecedented for MCU films to be dormant for more than a few months. Nearly a year and a half after this epic all-time disaster with Marvels kills any chance for MCU to have a comeback. Especially with a movie as risky as Cap 4 already was (followed by an equally risky MCU movie). Reboot is the only option now. I’d imagine we see it around 2027 after 2025 puts the nail in the coffin. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yes. It’s already unprecedented for MCU films to be dormant for more than a few months. Nearly a year and a half after this epic all-time disaster with Marvels kills any chance for MCU to have a comeback. Especially with a movie as risky as Cap 4 already was (followed by an equally risky MCU movie). Reboot is the only option now. I’d imagine we see it around 2027 after 2025 puts the nail in the coffin. 

I think you're being massively hyperbolic as per usual. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think you're being massively hyperbolic as per usual. 

There’s nothing hyperbolic about thinking Cap 4 and TB would need an actual miracle to be successful  now under all the circumstances. They needed a miracle before Marvels flatlined and they got pushed back with nothing but D+ to keep MCU languishing for over a year. And please inform me how 3 epic bombs in a row by the end of 2025 wouldn’t be it for MCU. There would be no way to recover the current iteration, no one will care by that point

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Everybody wanted Marvel to take break and now that they're taking it the sky is falling?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DInky said:

Everybody wanted Marvel to take break and now that they're taking it the sky is falling?

MCU is already losing its relevancy rapidly. You don’t change the whole cadence of a 15 year established franchise unless you have big plans for a huge comeback shakeup. We know that’s about the last thing Cap 4 and TB are.

Just now, Jonwo said:

Marvel had no movies in 2010 and 2020 although the latter was due to the pandemic and it's not like there is no Marvel films at all in 2024, there is Deadpool 3 plus the Sony Spider-Man Universe films.

Sony's time has finally come haha.

Multi for The Flash's previews was 11.2x compared to its DOM total. Others: Eternals 17.3x, Black Adam 22.2x, Quantumania 12.3x, Love and Thunder 11.8x, Multiverse of Madness 11.4x and Shazam 2 16x.

If The Marvels do the same as:

The Flash = $73.9M

Multiverse of Madness = $75.2M

Love and Thunder = $77.9M

Quantumania = $81.2M

Shazam 2 = $105.6

Eternals = $114.2M

Black Adam = $146.5M

Average between these movies is 14.6x ($96.4M).

I listed the last CBMs with a B or B+ on CS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Marvel had no movies in 2010 and 2020 although the latter was due to the pandemic and it's not like there is no Marvel films at all in 2024, there is Deadpool 3 plus the Sony Spider-Man Universe films.

Pre-Disney MCU is irrelevant, different time and place. And MCU needed a huge comeback juggernaut to save them from the covid disruption in No Way Home. That type of movie is the very last thing Cap 4 and TB are. We have already seen the precedent with DC that these studios will reboot these cinematic universes once it’s nothing but failure. Soft reboot in the very best case scenario after 2025. Hard reboot would be worst case. 

1 hour ago, Mr Impossible said:

I am actually getting excited more for this! I’ve enjoyed most of Disney’s huge flops like Dial of Destiny, John Carter, Lone Ranger, etc. I’m gonna watch it in 1 hour. 

It’s kind of amazing Disney has amassed all the biggest box office bombs of all time over the past decade or so (don’t forget Mars Needs Moms, Strange World, and Haunted Mansion too). Though before this year, it never happened to the franchise juggernauts, which is pretty crazy that’s where we are 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

What'd he do this time?

Nothing specific. It's just he had accumulated 10 points which means suspension. BTW for all folks here, lets not talk about him while he is not here to respond, its only fair to him. 

Anyways, if MCU can fall this dramatically in the course of a year (my sub 60 OW predicts for this were considered crazy earlier this year), it’s far from a stretch to think where they could be without a movie with high hit potential anywhere on the next 2 year’s slate. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s kind of amazing Disney has amassed all the biggest box office bombs of all time over the past decade or so (don’t forget Mars Needs Moms, Strange World, and Haunted Mansion too). Though before this year, it never happened to the franchise juggernauts, which is pretty crazy that’s where we are 

Solo would like a word. :lol:

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Cap 4 comes out four  years after the crappy Falcon web series ended and six years after Steve gave Sam the shield. Lol 

isn't that a good thing? people might hopefully fingers crossed forget about that show. :lol: Oh wait, there's Thunderbolts to remind them! :hahaha:

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Solo would like a word. :lol:

Solo was a failure, but it’s not on the all time biggest losers list like those movies (and this one soon to be). Indy 5 and TM are pretty much the first time we’ve ever seen a franchise behemoth bomb in this ways. Though admittedly it’s because of insane budget with Indy’s 

Edited by MovieMan89