Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

With all due respect, why would you think that? The film is routinely opening with 75-85% less than Captain Marvel in most markets. 

Well Captain Marvel made 700m OS and 75% less than that is 175m. Quant umania did 261m so I assumed it could be near 200m.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Ronan 2.0 from The Marvels is one of the clearest signs that Marvel Studios no longer cares.

I mean I would blame the writers' strike but that was after the Marvels finished preproduction I think.

MCU has a long history of weak villains and the movies that have the best villains (Thanos, Killmonger,  The Winter Soldier) end up doing the best at the box office,  you would think that they would realize it's an important part of what works for them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

The demographics revealed by Deadline are interesting:

Other diagnostics on The Marvels: 65% male leaning, with 45% men over 25, 22% women over 25 (giving it the best grades at 82%), men under 25 at 20%, and women under 25 at 14%. Biggest demo was 25-34 at 33%. Diversity demos were 36% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black, and 14% Asian. The Marvels secured all of the PLF screens and IMAX, which rep 38% of the weekend’s take. The movie is playing best in the South, South Central, and West with the AMC Disney Springs the pic’s no. 1 venue, with close to $91K so far.  

I should this movie seems to be low on femal audience even compared to other MCU movies.

Remember when Aquaman pushed hunky shirtless Jason Momoa and got a huge female audience because of that? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Why would MI7 be in the top 5 when Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle came out this year.

Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle feel like they were a lot cheaper to make and market than your average would-be blockbuster, I think that’s why so many people don’t mention them in a list of top3-5 flops of the year.

We need someone to calculate exactly how much each of those 6 movies mentioned lost. Problem is that’s it’s all just estimates anyway, it’s hard to guess marketing budgets for example.

7 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It might take time, but the market always self corrects

Well, now we’ll get to see — but I don’t see much in the past 20 years of declining moviegoing to suggest that this is/will necessarily be the case

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

But that’s my point - if those jobs are that dependent on MCU sustaining itself then the industry is already in a bleak place. In a healthy industry there’d be a ton of other projects they could easily work on outside of that, because in a healthy industry the mid-market wouldn’t have been gutted out. 

Depending in part on something that could fail and depending in part on something that is failing are just very qualitatively different situations, I’m not sure what more to say 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Legion Again

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

MCU has a long history of weak villains and the movies that have the best villains (Thanos, Killmonger,  The Winter Soldier) end up doing the best at the box office,  you would think that they would realize it's an important part of what works for them. 

Yeah but Ronan 2.0 felt especially lazy to me. 

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Remember when Aquaman pushed hunky shirtless Jason Momoa and got a huge female audience because of that? 

So you’re saying give a hot puppy-like boyfriend in need of saving to Cap Marvel and watch women pouring in? Hmmm, I’d buy a ticket for that.

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

52 pages. I guess the frenzy predicted by the hyper-cynical thread title never materialised. 

Probably because they preemptively got ahead of it by being quite tough on it in the first couple of pages? Just a thought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

So you’re saying give a hot puppy-like boyfriend in need of saving to Cap Marvel and watch women pouring in? Hmmm, I’d buy a ticket for that.

I fear that my feminist card is going to be taken away if I say yes but I'm just going to say yes. Yes I think 90% of women like looking at attractive men.

EDIT: Okay, I get the feeling that Brie Larson wants the character to be a Lesbian so not Captain Marvel herself but Monica? Sure.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

When did you guys give up on the MCU?

For me it was Thor 4. I was like, "oh you really stopped caring on any level. I'm done".

Ant-Man 3. When Ant-Man killed the Kang that all Kang's feared I knew they had no idea what they were doing anymore.

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

52 pages. I guess the frenzy predicted by the hyper-cynical thread title never materialised. 

It was predicted to bomb since it was announced.

It was then predicted to end up being one of the biggest bombs of all time as soon as tickets went on sale.

Fast forward a month later, it did indeed end up as one of the biggest bombs of all time.

Not much to get crazed about.