Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

Also wildly smart to move Cap and Mufasa like they did. Would have also continued the major bombage through the first half of next year, and yeah I don’t know how they salvage brand image by that point. Starting to think it was more strategic than just needing to delay due to the strikes. 

24 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

You're a Philly person???

Omg...I was there this summer, boo. My friends want me to move there, hmm. Is it cute?

Don't want to say where I live for obvious reasons, but yeah, I'm about a half-hour drive away. And yeah, there's nice opportunities there, some fun landmarks, nice locations to hang out in. My sisters live there and are currently doing great stuff in their post-grad lives. Kinda depends though on what you're looking for career and life goal wise.

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

My mind is truly blown by how many all-time bombs Disney will have in one year. Much like their 2019 can likely never happen again for a studio, I don’t think their 2023 ever can either. Just two opposite extremes.

If Gunn hadn’t delivered and they didn’t move Snow White out of Feb (which was looking destined to bomb), I’m not sure they could handle all this. 

Yeah FR. If GOTG 3 had bad reception (B/B+), it might've gone sub-Quantumania domestic and worldwide (yes I am serious at a point sub-$100M OW was possible and it would've collapsed if not for great WOM).

Honestly, I am still kinda sad by its total. As @Legion Again says, it was completely ganked by Multiverse of Madness mixed reception, Love and Thunder awful reception, and Quantumania SUPER awful reception. Would've easily passed Age of Ultron domestic even if it was released as late as May 2022. 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Don't want to say where I live for obvious reasons, but yeah, I'm about a half-hour drive away. And yeah, there's nice opportunities there, some fun landmarks, nice locations to hang out in. My sisters live there and are currently doing great stuff in their post-grad lives. Kinda depends though on what you're looking for career and life goal wise.

One of my dearest best friends moved there with her husband because he got a job.

But, I loved how much there was to do. I have no idea about the opportunities in music or even writing there, but lately, with everything going on in the world, I thought about activism or nonprofit, I don't know. Tryna find my place outside music, but I know I got that talent and wanna nurture it as much as I can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Wowie zowie, almost like having one movie studio commanding 30% of the market share was actually a terrible thing all along and bad for all parties.

Disney doing great was good for the industry — the part of situation that was bad was everyone else being weak!

The fact Gunn delivered their only major hit just highlights how much Iger fucked up in firing him (though I notice Iger now blames his other execs for this). 

Likewise burning their bridges with Lord and Miller.

On the animation side Disney has a creative problem, on the Marvel side Disney have a creative problem and on the Fox side they have a crutch - Apes is one to look to next year and how it performs.

All starts with the exec team. Until they have a cultural change I don't see things improving for them. I feel like a lot of people just don't want to work with Disney.

I mean look at the burn rate Star Wars has for creative teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also wildly smart to move Cap and Mufasa like they did. Would have also continued the major bombage through the first half of next year, and yeah I don’t know how they salvage brand image by that point. Starting to think it was more strategic than just needing to delay due to the strikes. 

The delat being a strategic move for Captain America 4 was always a likely option. It's not so weird that they don't want another bomb so soon.

I would have thought it was better to just release Captain America in 2024 (rip off the band aid quick) to try to get people back with Deadpool 3. However, perhaps they don't want the MCU brand to fall any further before Deadpool 3.

Edited by Kon

11 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

In regards to Ridley Scott:

As somebody who loved Prometheus, I'll never forgive Scott for Alien Covenant. I really wish we could have seen Shaw finding her answers about the Engineers. I can only hope Disney revives her for one last time in a future Alien movie. 

But retcon the David creating xenomorphs bit, please. 

I'm really hoping Gladiator 2 ends up good.

Hearing people call Napolean a black comedy makes me pessimistic.

covenant was the better of the two. It was Scott off the leash in pure weird and nasty mode. 

33 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Universal must have insiders at Disney. They knew Wish was this massive dud. They had to know.

I imagine test screening talk must go around a lot in the industry. I can definitely see the Universal suits hearing word of Disney's big animation being a nonstarter and deciding to place theirs near it to be bold. And to stick it to Disney, which is fitting considering Trolls is from Dreamworks.